The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Unseen said:
deffo have to agree with vipah here, now we know why there are so many easily defendable maps :p:

and i havent seen too many costumes in ut or ut2k4 ;) (its "customs", not costums)
yeh thats nitpicking, but anyhow :o

typo ;) :snowgrin:

i knew somthing was wrong about it but coudn't be arsed to find out... :o

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
i can ask about this. no promises though. i had some other ideas for scoring/hud implementation that we didnt have time for. i will bring them up again and see if we can patch them in. no promises though. :)

That would be nice if it can be added. I'm sure Epic wants to move on to their next project, but a few tweaks and bug fixes could really increase the longevity of the game. It wouldn't have to check for percentage wins, only check after an objective is taken, so hopefully just a few lines of code would do it.

Another "small" tweak I'd love to see would be to add the current team sizes to the HUD, over where it shows the split times. Just a simple "5 vs. 7" thing so that you'd know quickly when the team sizes are unbalanced during a match (it could be blue when the numbers are even, green when off by one, and flashing red if off by more). Lot of times mid game one team will get much smaller, and then as others join it evens up before the end of the game, making it look like a skill win for the larger team, when really it was a balance win. Seeing this would also help people to know when to change teams to keep it balanced.

speden

dno to me it just feels kinda wrong.

as soon as there is a some kind of leaguemod that allows launching and doesnt force objectives to be taken in order you got a problem; lets say team A takes objectives 2, 3 and 5 while team B takes objectives 1, 3 and 4, which team wins then?

Sauron said:
dno to me it just feels kinda wrong.

as soon as there is a some kind of leaguemod that allows launching and doesnt force objectives to be taken in order you got a problem; lets say team A takes objectives 2, 3 and 5 while team B takes objectives 1, 3 and 4, which team wins then?

If you set up parallel objectives then they would all count equally. The team that takes more of them quicker would be the winner. So if team B took three parallel objectives in less time than A did, it would win. There are some parallel objectives in RobotFactory and Mothership, and they count equally if both sides finished at that parallel section.

So you don't need a mod to set up parallel objectives since that's controlled by the fortstandards in the map, or least that's how it worked in UT99. It's all in how you design the map. If you want to override the way the maps are designed and just force all the objectives to be active, then they probably wouldn't play too well.

I don't really see much need for a launching mod in UT2k4. There are other alternatives now. If you want people to be able to fly up somewhere in your map, give them raptors, or add jump pads that shoot them where you want them to be able to go. You can also put those steep ramps or just walls that people can dodge jump up, like in DM-Rankin. Granted none of those things require two people to use, so it wouldn't be quite as satisfying as hitting a 90 yard touchdown pass, but it's similar. So I don't see anything in UT2k4 that would prevent designing very non-linear maps if that's what you want.

On a different subject, I'm noticing that tactical suicides are a lot more useful in the new assault than in UT99.

I thought with the new teleport button when a new objective opened up, this wouldn't be the case, but now it seems there are new reasons to suicide, especially in AS-Junkyard.

For example, say you're on foot trying to clear the way for the Hellbender, and you hear that the Hellbender has been destroyed. Naturally you know you can drive better than anyone else, so you can suicide to respawn back by the Hellbender to hop in and drive it. Sometimes if you don't do that, then there's no one there to drive it for a while, which hurts your time.

Or if you're on defense, since the attackers now come in waves instead of continuously, if you find yourself extremely low on health or ammo, you sometimes know you have time to suicide and respawn with full health and ammo before any attackers will arrive again.

On FallenCity the teleport thing seems a little bugged if you're on defense and the forward outpost falls, when I press Q to teleport to the gate lock defense point, it doesn't teleport me. So I can either suicide to advance, or else let the sentinels cut me to ribbons. I don't know if that's controlled by the map or by the game engine, but I wish the teleport would work in a consistent way.

speden

Just played it for quite a while, and i kinda liked it... points that got my attention: flack seems a little overpowered... it seems when you crawl up someone's ass you can kill him in 1 sec...

What also buggered me was that the skins are really blending in, sometimes i couldn't see them at all, are there people here with some sort of bright skin option or something?

Other then that, we haven't played AS yet cus we where only with a few... DM was quite fun but i'd get bored of it within a week i bet... ONS is so different that it doesn't really look like a substitute for UT, allthough it's reasonably fun.

In short, this pretty decent and pretty balanced game needs a GOOD mod :) (and brighter skin models, but there's bound to be something for that)

found this:

http://ziwa.free.fr/ut2004/Improvedbrightskins.jpg
http://ziwa.free.fr/ut2004/ImprovedBrightskins.zip

Works fine offline...

here: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=635090

There is a discussion there about using brightskins as being "cheat" or not not, i dunno this one really makes it BRIGHT while i would have liked an option where there would be small lights on the skins or something... this is rather radical but at least it works, also makes headshots easier...

Works fine offline...

Last edited:
imo the scoring system is silly as already mentioned here... two reasons:
1. When you'we got past a certain point there's no actual point in attacking anymore, and ending maps midgame is just silly... imo if a map is usually defended full time by both teams its a crap map anyway
2. say its a tight clanmatch, with similar to uta rules; 2 hour time limit... so lets say theres 5 minutes 'til the game will be ended after the map, and team A has just defended full time at the 3rd objective... now lets say they take the 4th objective in 4 minutes, leaving 6 minutes map time, but they could finish the map in maybe 2 minutes. as a tactical thing they could then just stall as for the game to end.. theoretically possible in uta also, but harder to accomplish as u have to have enough time to get that last objective :o

i agree when playing assault and ons some skins are so dark that it is quite hard to see if they are your team or not
just shoot anything without a beacon . btw is it just me or are all the as maps quite different and strange?
Only pld em a few times but they dont even feel remotely the same.

i just tried those brightskins, imo they are abit over the top.
without TTM on the server not everyone has access to those so i dno, feels weird to play wit them.

So any of you lot got favorite Onslaught servers that you play on ?

Just thought it may be good to see some of you online....if you do, post ip's :)