The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ice said:
i think the game is great, apart from ... assault :P the maps really are the uber suck, ALL :P some mapper port the league maps or make similiar ones and it will be great ;)

You got to be kidding. Give it a chance. I'm even starting to like Mothershit. That is a map you can really kick ass on if you know the map.

Not that they're perfect, but what is.

I'm looking forward to seeing remakes of the old maps... if they're done well. I've already seen a user made assault map that was complete garbage.

speden

the maps included in ut2004 are not the way i like to play assault. so:

no, i am not kidding :P

there's simply too much possibility to spam in it.

well, the assault maps are really big, but it's funny to play it, yesterday i pld AS 2k4 on pubs for the first time, and it was really fun!

first i said too, assault will suck in 2k4, maps too big, blabla, but it's really nice, better than ONS, coz ONS is commercial :P everyone started to play ONS

épidémie said:
In Resume...

No Hammer No Fun!
There is alot to explore and im sure there are other ways to get to or destroy the objectives. There ase some good tactics you can use using linkgun and shield.

i don't really like AS because of my computer, the loading times are insane, i turned off pre-caching and i can't even use skinloading because i only have 256mb, which is too low i know but the game was expensive enough as it is and now i need to spend more money to fix that... low fps on AS is another factor prolly also mostly mem related...

DM get's boring, it did on UT and does here again, anything with a transloc is gay... don't like instagib... leaves DDOM or ONS

I like ONS but on pubs it's SO teamrelated, you can score 50000 points but if you play with a bunch of n00bs ur screwed... i can bang my head through my desk when i'm this <-> close to destroying a node and ur OWN node pops and the one ur shooting get's protected, i would have liked it if there would be like a 5-10 second time delay before the protection comes into place so you can quickly finish it off or turn around... it's a nice game when ur with a reasonable team but with a shitteam it's crap :\

iwe played quite a bit assault, and i do actually enjoy it.. true, mothership and robotfactory are shit, but the rest are nice, especially fallencity plays well... no gimpy vehicles, and almost plays as a ut1 map (can be won in 2 mins, can be defended full time)

the sniper still just feels wrong tho, seems to have longer weaponswitch times than the other weapons, and somehow it just doesnt have as good a feel to it as the lightningun (never tought id say that a while ago :p:)

Junkyard has potential for matchplay, but it requires too much teamwork to play in the right way on publics tho :o

About UT2004 i think it just got better in many aspects (the one that matters i think)...

One is the lag problem, it just much more smoth than the others (at least than UT)

Other is the many weapons veichles maps

Other is that this beuty is runned real beautiful on my laptop (so i can play it everywhere)

Although bots inteligence is still crap and they re vry predictable, the game worth buying to last coin (thats why the first point is so important

Rich said:
i started to but ued 3 is so flakey i got pissed off by constant crashes ..
but im going to make AS-saqqara][ , 1 to learn the new ed and 2 i can add all the things i would have liked to add in the original but couldnt due to FPS :)
bump.gif

I think 2k4 rocks. But Assault isn't as cool as in '99.
Onslaught makes up for that loss tho :p:.

jwer_NL said:
I like ONS but on pubs it's SO teamrelated, you can score 50000 points but if you play with a bunch of n00bs ur screwed... i can bang my head through my desk when i'm this <-> close to destroying a node and ur OWN node pops and the one ur shooting get's protected, i would have liked it if there would be like a 5-10 second time delay before the protection comes into place so you can quickly finish it off or turn around... it's a nice game when ur with a reasonable team but with a shitteam it's crap :\

Surely, that's exactly why it should be the best mode? Playing 99 assault with a team that doesn't even know basic tactics or launches would produce the same result. It's exactly because it's a team game that it should have the longevity and playability to replace 99 assault.

I can't get into it because the weapons just don't seem right and the sniper sucks.

Aye the sniper sucks, but the Lighting Gun makes up for that :p:
Nothing feels better then doing a headshot to some1 who's driving a Scorpion/Manta :D

Sniper takes getting used too and once you have is as effective as ut99 sniper imo :) In a 2k4AS view though.

Last edited:
Hector said:
Surely, that's exactly why it should be the best mode? Playing 99 assault with a team that doesn't even know basic tactics or launches would produce the same result. It's exactly because it's a team game that it should have the longevity and playability to replace 99 assault.

I can't get into it because the weapons just don't seem right and the sniper sucks.

If what you mean by "to replace 99 assault" is refering too ONS ,have u been smoking some seriously strong chronic of late :uhh: as i dont see 2K4 being there in general to replace UT99 at all,but if folk see it that way then imo 99AS folk i reckon woulkd want a mod with as much fragging not less fragging or am i wrong ?

Tzu said:
If what you mean by "to replace 99 assault" is refering too ONS ,have u been smoking some seriously strong chronic of late :uhh: as i dont see 2K4 being there in general to replace UT99 at all,but if folk see it that way then imo 99AS folk i reckon woulkd want a mod with as much fragging not less fragging or am i wrong ?

Well it is supposed to be a replacement for 99 isn't it? And since 2k4 assault has less of a team play element to it than 99 (at the moment) then those wanting to play cooperative games have to look to ONS, that's all I meant. My point was that in a team play game if there's no teamplay it's going to suck! Like going to launch someone on Mazon and finding the rest of the team is trying to swim down the river into the cave. It doesn't mrean the game sucks it just means that people haven't got their head round it yet.

As for sniper how can it be as effective as 99's when the firing rate is so much slower? That's without mentioning the recoil and white out effects.