The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

As this is the tell me what you think of ut2004 thread I will:

This game could be the next thing for me. I liked ut2003 DM and BR already (last was spoiled due to translocator)

They tweaked the boost dodging so you cant hop from one side of the map to the other, this is better in my opinion because of the scaling of the maps. Everything had to get really huge to let ppl boost dodge around the immense arenas.

Skins are much better, I like the new skins although the "punk" ones are lame. And I can see m pretty well with teamcolors set on. If you set up a server you can choose for the brighten up skin option. This will light up a player that is far away, he even leaves a trail of blood (this can be confusing while playing 1v1) while hopping around and with the option to enforce ppl to use teamcolors you cant miss m.

Weapons. Finally u get the idea your shooting someone...Everything was so toned down in ut2003 it didnt really matter what gun you where using.
-The rockets only shoot three as before but do alot of damage.
-Mini just owns again (make sure you switch shooting alt on this gun otherwise u get confused with ut) It does alot more damage.
-Goo gun is just like ut2003 ...its a really decent alternative for rockets :D.
-Sniper is ok-ish. I do like the headshots and the acuraccy of it, what I dont like is the puff of smoke. But when you just move a couple of inches to the side it will be next to you and not in your face ...so np.
-Just love the lighting gun can hit lots more with it it seems the scope is much better and less blurry
-And last but not least the shock rifle. Omg its a little weaker then our ut one but its so intuitive. When you play ut you definaly will hit every single ball with this baby (ask Timmah :P)
One little thing: I miss ripper

Maps
The new maps are pretty good to be honest (depending on the mod). On DM I like the DM-Sulphur map best for 2v2 together with the 2k3 DE-Grendelkeep and dont forget deck 17. When you are at the bio you can see deck16 is under construction....I tried to hop over the fence to get there while havin tears in my eyes...snif.
I just dont really like the 1v1 maps these could be alot better (like DM-ALbatros...ps: notice what it says in the water...)

Mods and vehicles
The vehicles are just pick up and go its that easy and now that ppl get used to it finally ppl are waiting on each other to hop in. People are even linking tanks and link turrets with linkguns three at the time :o I even like the star wars space fights on assault.
The mods are ok. Onslaught just rocks because of the vehicles but I dont really like the maps that much and shooting those powernodes can get quite boring.
Assault. Got a lot of potential but its to damn spammy and lineair at the moment a few good mapmakers could prevent that easily. Just put in a few jump pads etc and we'll be fine...
Linkin the turets with three others rox btw that beam just carves thru a tank within three seconds. Mingun turets are cool as well, mega kill last nite while using one..

But overal this game gets a 9.0 from me as a score.

I hope ppl with some mapping experience bought the SE edition and watched the tutorials on the bonus dvd and come with some decent as maps.

pkZ!

Something I DO find a bit odd is getting used to my current health situation. In UT I'm really aware of when I've been hit a few times but I'm finding I'm just not as intuitively aware of it in ut2k4 and I often die because my health is down to 3% and I haven't noticed. Maybe it's just getting used to it.

yeah i could do with those vids ffs
having trouble with the terrain ..building using a hieght map greyscale bitmap, i get to see it in the editor as a wiremesh but thats as far i get with it .. everything else im basically moddling in 3DStudio max and importing :) which rules
once i get the terrain building sorted it shouldnt take to long to have a working beta i hope

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
[On As-Junkyard] theres a nice way to hit one of the jump pads on the side of the map and land right on top of the core. from halfway across the map to right on top of the core in like 2 seconds. quite nice. :)

I can't figure this out, but I'd like to since more and more games I see teams held for the whole map time trying to get the power core. Defense lays spider mines like crazy, gets two turrets going, and then flaks and snipes the hell out of offense. Then people on offense get pissed and start dropping out of the game, and then it really gets ugly. I think the map might be better balanced if defense didn't get spider mines there. Offense can take out the turrets easily enough, and can snipe back, but the spider mines are just endless and act like extra players for defense.

There's a jump pad way over on the left side as you come out of the spawn warehouse, over by the turret. It's aimed pretty far to the left of the power core. When I use that one and hold forward and strafe right, I can't quite land right on top of the core. Instead I land in the area just behind the core, that is usually smothered in spider mines and flak fire. Is there some way to get more air control to land right on top of the core from there? Maybe I'm trying the wrong jump pad because it takes way more than 2 seconds to get over there in the first place.

The only other jump pad that seems to get close to the core is the one on the upper level of the starting spawn warehouse, but I can't find a good way to even get to that one. Even from there, if I use it and hold down forward, I still fall a little short of the power core platform, which makes it pretty useless.

Balance problems I'm seeing in the other maps are in RobotFactory and Mothership. In RobotFactory when there are a lot of players, and defense links up their turrets well, it then takes too long to destroy the link turrets with the tanks, and you don't have enough time to finish the map. I think offense should have three tanks to speed up taking the first two objectives. There's plenty enough room for one more. If you do manage to break the door though, then the inside of RobotFactory goes too fast. The data cables should require more hits to destroy them. And in the room with the three shield components, the first two shield components should be partially protected by metal grates so you can't hit them from any direction. Even the final objective is a little too easy. Maybe it should have a metal grate in front so you'd have to at least get in there a little ways before you can shoot it, maybe with an optional switch objective offense could press to lower it.

Another annoyance on RobotFactory (a map I like btw) is that on defense, you can't control which link turret it puts you in. It seems to fill them up in a certain order, so if you're the first, you get put in that irrelevant turret that overlooks the satelite control, when you actually want to be in the forwardmost turrets. There should either be a way to control which turret you get or else it should fill them up in a different order (forwardmost turrets getting filled first).

RobotFactory also plays bad when there are just a couple of players because the link turrets act as robot controlled autocannons, effectively giving defense way more players than offense. There should only be as many active autocannons as there are attackers, so if it's a one on one game, only one autocannon should be active at a time.

The unbalanced objective on Mothership is the part where you have to destroy the Sentinels. Those things have a high rate of fire and are healable. If there are a lot of people on defense and they all link to those things, then offense often gets nowhere. I don't think the sentinels should be healable. Or is there some trick for destroying them quicker? The link gun seems to take them down the fastest, but the sentinels take a player down even faster.

I'm surprised you guys don't like the new scoring system. Lots of UT99 maps are decided by taking the final objective in the last seconds, so what's the diff if the new maps are decided by taking some other objective a few seconds faster than the other team. Just means you should fight for every objective like the game's on the line, because it just might be. I always thought it was dumb that one team got way farther than the other in UT99 and the game acts like it was a tie. Like hell it was a tie. My only problem with the new scoring system is that the game keeps going on after one team has won. If a team gets owned in round one, but then holds off offense for a long time in round two (sometimes offense just stops fighting hard after the win's in the bag), then you end up playing an extra five minutes of irrelevant game time. People that join a game during this irrelevant fighting time don't even realize they're fighting for nothing. And there's another bug with that. When a team has lost after round two and neither team finished the map, the game says, "Red team successfully defended, Blue team is the winner!" Duh, if Red lost then there was really nothing successful about it. This is a holdover from UT99 where you had to finish the map to win. In this situation it should say something like, "Blue team took more objectives, blue team is the winner." or "Blue team took the objectives faster, blue team is the winner."

speden

Another annoyance on RobotFactory (a map I like btw) is that on defense, you can't control which link turret it puts you in. It seems to fill them up in a certain order, so if you're the first, you get put in that irrelevant turret that overlooks the satelite control, when you actually want to be in the forwardmost turrets. There should either be a way to control which turret you get or else it should fill them up in a different order (forwardmost turrets getting filled first).

You can, i use my mouse wheel, it switches through each of the turrets...

JaseyJas said:
You can, i use my mouse wheel, it switches through each of the turrets...

Hallelujah. I never noticed because I remapped my mouse wheel to something else. But "NextWeapon" and "PrevWeapon" do indeed work. Thanks for the tip.

speden

i think the game is great, apart from ... assault :P the maps really are the uber suck, ALL :P some mapper port the league maps or make similiar ones and it will be great ;)

the single player is cool, but the final... PLEASE >__< take the worst DM map, espacially crap for 1on1, add a 20 frag limit against a noob opponent with a map that is so huge that your ways will hardly every cross :x

oh and as usually i hate the teleport weapon... for pussehs :o

Last edited:
i think theres a load of decent 1on1 maps personally :)

only gripes i have are:

1) players r very hard to see, need some bright skin mod made..FAST

2) mantas in onsalught are annoying, its too easy to kill ppl in them

3) flak is too powerful, and not in a funny way like in UT :|

did u try the brightskins jwer posted above?
they are quite usefull, but it seems they are handled as cheats by the newest version of utsecure.

munkZ said:
i think theres a load of decent 1on1 maps personally :)

only gripes i have are:

1) players r very hard to see, need some bright skin mod made..FAST

2) mantas in onsalught are annoying, its too easy to kill ppl in them

3) flak is too powerful, and not in a funny way like in UT :|
troo, false use a avril ffs, too troo

Ive tried that brightskins mod/hack/cheat whatever you wanna call it and its OTT imo, they only need to knock up the ambient brightness about 20% or so not go to those extremes. Its just a few of the DM maps that have this problem eg: the shield platform on Compressed.

hm no actually they are a problem on pretty much every map, most of all the new skins. some brightskin mutator is deffo needed, only thing that can be discussed imo is if its ok to use the current brightskins, since they arent serverside.