The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Rich

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted
Jun 7, 2001
Omnipresent
Well we have seen the demo and now the game is amongst us so what do people think of the final release ?

I dun get mine till friday :o

Plus delivery will take it to monday :P

first post... couldn't help it :moon:

Let start by saying that the maps LOOK sweet, but they did in UT2k3 as well ;)

I've just played all AS maps and i checked out the "classic UT" mutator:

AS-Fallen City: An mostly open map, reasonably broad with straight routes towards the next objectives, reminded me a little of riv3...

Good points:
- Open map, well at least more then AS-Convoy... seems to be a few things to hop on and off and no real spammy area's...

Bad Points:
- Timed objectives, though fortunately not very long and not recharging, i never fancied standing still at an objective... it doesn't seem TOO bad in this map though
- No alternative routes, there's 1 on 1 objective but that's only a narrow bridge EXACTLY covered by a minniturret which get's me to the second bad point
- The map is riddled with minniturrets, i haven't played it online yet but there's at least 3? that's a quick count on a quick glance, and the first one is in an area where attack doesn't have a link so no linkage whiping it neither, and barely cover since it's on higher ground then attackers... almost every ob has at least 1....

Could be a reasonable map, off course there seems to be a trick at the start (jumping up some debry to shoot over the blokkade) but that's the only debry you can't hop on....jeez... every trick seems to be systematically blocked... even when it's apparantly PISS easily defendable

AS-Glacier: Another open map, not that bad it seems but for:

Good points
- Well the fact you have to hijack a tank and shoot special objectives with it is new, and something different...though the tank shoots with painter-ammo (yeah the big booms!)
- nice open map, fewer turrets (remember 1 in a quick glance)

Bad points
- The fact you HAVE to use the tank and there's only 1 attacker that can use it...... am i the only one that spots the laming potential? 1 dickhead steals the tank, drives off in the opposite direction and the rest of the team is screwed... i hope this map will work out but i have my doubts for pubs....even if a complete n00b steals it and drives around with it would be annoying.... and i managed to get stuck with the tank without bots around just on my own, not even in an unlikely place

AS-Junkyard Open, bland, not much in it really, few good idea's...

Good points:
- Open map again, first objective is to retrieve a part of a car by pickin it up and walking it back to the car where you started, original and nice

Bad points:
- After you lowered the bridge (timed objective in plain sight of a minniturret), you have to drive a hellbender to a certain point which is through open territory passed a minniturret which again relies on the skills of the driver (and thus 1 player) mostly...
- next objective is the same only the last part is even more open, and alternative route is by clinging the hellbender on a magnet and transporting it over the map, i can't believe the hellbender surviving a ride over the map in plain sight though...
- next objective again driving the hellbender to the gate...

AS-Mothership Attack a spaceship floating in space and destroy it, map looks nice
Good points:
- Original start where you are flying in small spaceships in order to knock out three generators then fly into the base where the map continues

Bad points:
- I like to play with low mouse sens, but that makes the spaceships barely steerable lol, i need to up the sens to steer properly then lower it again when that part is done....
- The inside is pretty flat and spammy at first, one of the next obs is getting passed the def to shoot 3 autoguns which are pretty damn accurate so it seems quite hard...

AS-Robotfactory Attack a robot-facility/factory
Good Points:
- You get to drive Goliaths

Bad Points:
- The map starts off with 2 goliaths on attack and 3 BIG autoguns that take at least 10 goliath shots each which you will prolly HAVE to destroy in order to have any chance to attack the map...
- The first objective is behind a wall you can only pass on foot with behind it another autogun, the objective is timed and in plain sight of the autogun.
- When you complete the objective you spawn in an area right above the autogun, and if you drop down you GOT to run like hell to one of the 2 newly spawned Goliaths to get a few shots on that autogun in order to finally take it down. Then there are 2 more to destroy in order to get a GOOD chance to get the next ob (at least that seems so)
- Rest of the map seems okayish, being it a bit flat, no alt-routes and not much to hop on...

Conclusion: Most of the other maps apart from convoy are a lot more open, but they're also flatter imo with few things to hop on and over over, or hide behind or sneak behind. What annoys me the most is the fact there seems to be so little apparant tricks... there's no learning curve and i'm pretty sure you can't be "an experienced AS player" in UT2k4 because basically it's just DM with objectives. ANY decent DM'er will "enjoy" these AS maps because there's not much to learn or try about it, just blunt shooting seems the only real option, linking up link-guns while playin, but you can do that as well in DM afaik?

The maps look nice, and will prolly play nicer then Convoy, but they seem bland and not much of a challange to learn...

Mutators:

UT Classic Mutator:
Easily the most disappointing feature of the complete game (sofar lol). Anything you expect has not been fullfilled, let me start by saying that ALL THE TEXTURES ARE THE SAME AS UT2k3/UT2k4. Do not expect new textures that resemble the old ones, they are all the same... for the weapons:
1. The "hammer" is still the shield gun, primary will load the gun same as UT2k3, alt-fire will still provide the green shield! no changes apparant..
2. Second weapon is no enforcer but still the UT2k3 spawn-weapon. Alt-fire still provides grenades, no changes apparant.
3. Bio. No changes apparant
4. Shock. No changes apparant, if so only a slight change in alt-speed but i don't think so cus UT2k4 alt-speed was close allready (combo still the same as UT2k4)
5. "Pulse" still the exact same link-gun, same firerate i think as well, same alt-fire as the link
6. "ripper" NOT in the game/mutator
7. (6 in UT2k4) Minnigun, no apparant changes
8. (7 in game) Flack, No apparant changes, they bounce the same as in 2k4, same speed and spread
9. (8 in game) Rocketlauncher, The primary now loads slower and goes up to 6 rockets, but the rockets travel at the same speed as UT2k4. Alt-fire shoots grenades with the same textures as the grenades of weapon 2, no rockettextures. They seem to travel at about UT99 speed...
0. (9 in game) Sniper- Fire rate seems a bit upped prolly (about the) same as UT99, the smoke puffs are still there though.....

Oh and in case you wondered, the hammerjump is STILL disabled in AS, even with this rediculous "ut-classic" mod

Last edited:
Coming to the same conclusions as jwer here. It seems they NEVER learn.. they STILL haven't understood what it is in Assault mode that keeps it interesting: THE TRICKS. The fact that they disabled the hammer speaks for itself really: "can't be arsed to design maps so that tricks are possible but don't end the map in 12 seconds so let's disable all the trick potential instead and make these maps as linear as possible".

Well I hope a proper "classic UT" mutator will be done which makes Assault worthwhile in UT2k4, otherwise it seems just a waste of time. In its current state it's just another Team Deathmatch mode. TBH, I don't think the Assault mode will be very popular in a few months if it stays the way as it is now.

any 1 having problems with mouse not moving or jamming in a certain way making it hard to aim ?
also with runnign or is this just me its doing my head in :(

UK_Warrior said:
any 1 having problems with mouse not moving or jamming in a certain way making it hard to aim ?
also with runnign or is this just me its doing my head in :(

nope no mouse troubles here at all.... can imagine it's crap, you tried the usual stuff yet?

what useual stuff?
messed about with sound seemed to fix it but then it sounds wank

turned off smoothing etc but that didnt help grrr

reinstall\update mousedrivers? or any other drivers/directX... remove the UT2k4.ini and/or user.ini and start UT2k4? don't know what would help but that's usually the way to fix shit in UT99

jwer_NL said:
UT Classic Mutator:
Easily the most disappointing feature of the complete game (sofar lol). Anything you expect has not been fullfilled, let me start by saying that ALL THE TEXTURES ARE THE SAME AS UT2k3/UT2k4. Do not expect new textures that resemble the old ones, they are all the same... for the weapons:

lol, wtf did you expect? that they implement the content of the old ut aswell??
its a mutator, its obvious that the only changes will be in gameplay related matters and definitely nothing like the graphics.

Sauron said:
lol, wtf did you expect? that they implement the content of the old ut aswell??
its a mutator, its obvious that the only changes will be in gameplay related matters and definitely nothing like the graphics.

I expected something that resembles the old-school UT weapons, if you can't be arsed changing any of the weapons xept the RL and just take out the double jump then please don't add a mutator called "classic UT" but just call it "double jump remover" or summin like that...

Is it really that hard to change the speed of bio, change the spread of flack and the speed and number of times it bounces, remove the smoke puff from the sniper and increase the firerate, call the link gun "pulse gun" and make the alt-fire go straight ALL the time instead it straightening out after a while and change the firerate of the primary, change the projectile speed of the rocketlauncher.... and i could go on... apparantly it is cus they cba'd to do it, well then fine but don't call it a "UT-classic" mutator when it's not even remotely close to it!

jwer_NL said:
I expected something that resembles the old-school UT weapons, if you can't be arsed changing any of the weapons xept the RL and just take out the double jump then please don't add a mutator called "classic UT" but just call it "double jump remover" or summin like that...

Is it really that hard to change the speed of bio, change the spread of flack and the speed and number of times it bounces, remove the smoke puff from the sniper and increase the firerate, call the link gun "pulse gun" and make the alt-fire go straight ALL the time instead it straightening out after a while and change the firerate of the primary, change the projectile speed of the rocketlauncher.... and i could go on... apparantly it is cus they cba'd to do it, well then fine but don't call it a "UT-classic" mutator when it's not even remotely close to it!

well actually the double jump is the biggest difference so i think that justifies it.

and i wouldnt see why you want the flak cannon to bounce more often so it becomes the spammy shitthing again it used to be, also the biorifle is an actual weapon in 2k4 and not just somethign you can spam door with and get lucky kills, i wudnt want it changed. the link beam is afaik straight, its only the animation, which is also straight as soon as it has contact with an enemy and your not just cutting air. and if u need it to be called differently, take neph's tweak file, change the pickup names and load the thing