The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Rich said:
but im going to make AS-saqqara][ , 1 to learn the new ed and 2 i can add all the things i would have liked to add in the original but couldnt due to FPS :)
w00t gl :D
oh and maybe make bridge longer and add tank to start of the map :P

Got plans for a re-make of Overlord.

So far I have the basic map layout done on paper and did a bit of research into what bunkers on the bluff at Normandy actually looked like back in the day.

From here I'm going to build the bsp and the basics of the terrain, after that I'll get a few players (i.e. ION) to look the map over and see what they think.

Don't hold your breath tho, I'm going to need to learn how to use Maya to make the bunkers and some other goodies.

I have to say that ut2k4 is everything ut2k3 should have been. After tweaking loading times it runns better than ut2k3 so I can now play it on 1024x768. Yeah so I lied. I bought the freaking game.... :D
Half life 2 moved to september. :(

Last edited:
as my internet has been shit for the last few days i had time to finish single player...

and well i found it interesting because the bots actually could hit stuff... i only played on adept but still i had problems every now and again, lost around 7 matches or sth :o

assault seemed pretty silly in some cases, especially robotfactory and mothership..
i mean robotfactory i finished with 30 secs left or so, still they couldnt take it? imo a map like that is bad if that kinda def is possible... but the real bs map was mothership; didnt get the last objective myself, but while defending they didnt get past the first inside objective, thats just weak map planning (no need to say how much i h8 those bloody spaceships, took a look at the map today without any bots or players, still took me a few minutes to get to the inside, died atleast 5 times or so, also i would need to have a different mousesense bound just for that map :x)

otherwise i enjoyed the game, was nice to see that a 1on1 with a bot actually could be challenging, and it did help me to get a better hold of 2k4...

the bots AI in BR is pathetic tho, i u just fire rockets at the ballcarrier and they'll just run to get the ball again... repeat as many times as needed.. most maps were flawless victories... true, the teamm8s didnt pass the ball all too much in good situations either tho

my biggest disappointment was that final battle on oblivion... i remember what a challenge xan was back in the days when ut was a new game :D sure, i know more about how to beat bots now than i did then, but it felt kinda silly that malcom started out jumping off the spaceship twice. the gametime was really short too, so last map finished 4-0... silly... oh and i didnt get my name on the highscore list, dunno why :x

hm when i palyed the singleplayer malcolm was rather overskilled. i played on novice coz i actually only played it to unlock the all models. while no bot cud really hit anyhtng all thru the game malcolm seemed at least 4 or 5 levels better, he seemed more like a masterfull bot and the game was actually close.

I'm playing it on Masterful

Played Malcolm twice and lost both times in Overtime. It actually takes the pish how much the skill factor is increased for him at he end.

I actually found myself behind him once and lined up a primary from a AMSD and fired. The cheating fuck dodged it? The weapoon is supposed to be hitscan??

lmao what a pile of shit mothership is.. fs and where r all the fast maps that ucan be able 2 finish fast fs fucking boring 2 waste 2x10minutes on every map ffs gotta start playing with ed again fs and plz sum1 make a launch/hammerjump mod fs

DM pwns tho:dunce:

onslaught is the pwnz. DM is good fun but i could never play dm all the time it would bore me just fragging constantly. But think i could get into onslaught :)

hmm.. weird stuff.. guess the game just realised i woulda screwed up if malcolm actually woulda tried to kill me :o

i got it yesterday.

AS - Glacier is a fair cool map, the one i enjoy most atm. Junkyard is the worst, as i played and we held the first objective full time with a abit of mini and flak rapage :/ Overall, its alreet, nowt compared to uta tho :p:

ONS - On the demo it rocked, but some of the maps are crazy on the actual game, Frostbite has 1 node and is just pure spam lol. The rest of the maps are realllllly huge and i havent really had a chance to learn em yet. I can say cross-fire rox tho :)

DM - Best mod by far, weapons are balanced perfect imo, maybe flak a bit to powerful but thats about it. Maps are well made and are not spammy. I like the way you can walk around a DM map and not get yer head taken off in 1 shot, actually makes it more playable.

These are the only mods i have played atm. 2k4 seems fair sweet, but i'll always play ut assault haha :P

ons rulez, dm&ctf is ok.
double domination & bomb run are 100% importet from 2k3 (and this means its not better now)
but the worst thing is AS
worst map there is the mothership-crap.
man, its f0ckn annoying being shot down by some flying jerks cause they shot those seeking torpedos.... booooring
and inside the ship its more like astenosphere@the end
the rest as maps are below standard, linear as hell...

me waiting for vehicleDM-mutator :)
i just edit torlan and placed some leviathan, ion painter, more raptors, mantas, more gun turrets etc. in it... now THATS fun :)

speden said:
One thing that seems broken in that regard though is in the second round, the game keeps going even after the attacking team has already won the match. This was kind of fun at first, but increasingly seems dumb. What's the point of playing out the map once the match is won? Just to rub the losers' noses in it? I've seen admins have to come in and manually kill it and move on to the next map, which isn't that great because the game never actually declares the winner as the winner (and I wonder what that does to the player stats). This should at least be an admin option if it isn't already, some flag for "End match as soon as the winner is decided".
i can ask about this. no promises though. i had some other ideas for scoring/hud implementation that we didnt have time for. i will bring them up again and see if we can patch them in. no promises though. :)

LeNiXiS said:
Junkyard is the worst, as i played and we held the first objective full time with a abit of mini and flak rapage :/ Overall, its alreet, nowt compared to uta tho :p:
theres a nice way to hit one of the jump pads on the side of the map and land right on top of the core. from halfway across the map to right on top of the core in like 2 seconds. quite nice. :)

you were obviously playing against people who didnt know how to attack properly. i think we had one game once where we defended for the entire 10 minutes there. it was awesome. but usually the core is taken and returned within the first minute or two...

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
i think we had one game once where we defended for the entire 10 minutes there. it was awesome.
there, i spotted it
thats where u differ from most ut as players, who would call that boring spam crap instead
:P

ViPah said:
there, i spotted it
thats where u differ from most ut as players, who would call that boring spam crap instead
:P
noobs usually like spamming :mingun:

no, however i don't have ut2004 yet (not enough € atm) i think i am going to like it... launching is nice, and i will continue playin utas but i think we only have top of the icemountain in ut2004 atm ;)

when costum maps come out i think we can expect some really good maps, somthing like D-Day, with tanks and the flying things, would be awsome to penetrate in some kind of map..

i guess it will be better when time passed and costums come out. i mean best maps in utas are costums aswell....

:cool:

deffo have to agree with vipah here, now we know why there are so many easily defendable maps :p:

and i havent seen too many costumes in ut or ut2k4 ;) (its "customs", not costums)
yeh thats nitpicking, but anyhow :o

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
i can ask about this. no promises though. i had some other ideas for scoring/hud implementation that we didnt have time for. i will bring them up again and see if we can patch them in. no promises though.

about patch and stuff.. Is epic planning to add assaultlevels in there bonuspacks this time? we got quite some ctf and dm levels in ut99, yes even DOM levels, but no assaulmapss...

epic seems to try to keep assault more alive this time, 2 of the 6 assaultlevels are unplayeble says the majority. Which leaves 4 assaultmaps... would be quite boring to play them over and over...

so my only question is: will epic give us more "good :poke:" AS levels or just some CTF DM ONS and DDOM maps because there more easy to make :shout:

;)

Last edited: