AS-Hellraiser

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

you simply need to now how long one surface is and any decent bot could do this.

lets only calculate it for 2d shape brushes, values are a bit different for cylinders with AlignToSide=True

you need to know the inner angles:
when you create the brush you generate a value "per 360°"

inenr angle= (per360 - 2) * 180° / per360

eg: for 32 sides the inner angle would be: 168,75 °

next thing you need to know is the radius, which is simply the offset from the rotation center to the surface, simply vectorical calculation.

assuming the radius be 512 units

radius is the hypothenusis,

the outer angle in the triangle is half the inner circle angle:

84,375°

so the middle ancle is 5,625 °

sin 5,625 ° = wallpolylength / radius

wall polylength= radius * sin 5,625° (= 50,18 for radius=512 and 32 sides)

complte formula is:

wallpolylength= Radius * sin ( 90° - 0,5 * inner angle)
wallpolylength= Radius * sin [ 90° - 0,5 * ( (per360 - 2) * 180° / per360) ]

However I dunno how to make a bot, this probably is done with c++ or something.

Last edited:
Humph said:
Yes, I see the difference in terms of what has been done, but I don't really see the difference it terms of how nice it looks.

this is what i was trying to say with the example of the 4 towers in golgo, the NOTICABLE difference to actual players is minimal. Yet with your method the difference is huge but moving a couple of sides around creates a ncie effect.

sobo said:
you simply need to now how long one surface is and any decent bot could do this.

lets only calculate it for 2d shape brushes, values are a bit different for cylinders with AlignToSide=True

you need to know the inner angles:
when you create the brush you generate a value "per 360°"

inenr angle= (per360 - 2) * 180° / per360

eg: for 32 sides the inner angle would be: 168,75 °

next thing you need to know is the radius, which is simply the offset from the rotation center to the surface, simply vectorical calculation.

assuming the radius be 512 units

radius is the hypothenusis,

the outer angle in the triangle is half the inner circle angle:

84,375°

so the middle ancle is 5,625 °

sin 5,625 ° = wallpolylength / radius

wall polylength= radius * sin 5,625° (= 50,18 for radius=512 and 32 sides)

complte formula is:

wallpolylength= Radius * sin ( 90° - 0,5 * inner angle)
wallpolylength= Radius * sin [ 90° - 0,5 * ( (per360 - 2) * 180° / per360) ]

However I dunno how to make a bot, this probably is done with c++ or something.

The TexAlign program I was talking about does about the same thing + it can interact with UnrealEd, doing the panning and stuff for you :) take a look at it:

TexAlign v1.0
TexAlign v2.0

Reactions: sobo
HellRaiser
-finish the map :D
-since the map isn't finished I'm not sure what you're going for, but why not use the Golgotha.umx?
-again I don't know what you're going for, but shouldn't the attackers spawn outside?
-good map to put in the Asbestos Suit for defenders :)

As far as the map itself goes
-I was thinking it could be the attackers are invading the pagan temple of the god Ifrit (<--- "real" god btw, not sure if he was supposed to be good or evil) and basically you're trying to destroy his altar; cliche I know but I thought of this in about 5 sec :P
-perhaps this is the Plane of Fire from AS-Planeshifter and this is another part of it and something interesting is happening there?

good points
-well structured; all I can say at this point :)

AtmaDragon said:
HellRaiser
-finish the map :D
-since the map isn't finished I'm not sure what you're going for, but why not use the Golgotha.umx?
-again I don't know what you're going for, but shouldn't the attackers spawn outside?
-good map to put in the Asbestos Suit for defenders :)

As far as the map itself goes
-I was thinking it could be the attackers are invading the pagan temple of the god Ifrit (<--- "real" god btw, not sure if he was supposed to be good or evil) and basically you're trying to destroy his altar; cliche I know but I thought of this in about 5 sec :P
-perhaps this is the Plane of Fire from AS-Planeshifter and this is another part of it and something interesting is happening there?

good points
-well structured; all I can say at this point :)

- yeah that's the primary goal :D
- I don't want to make a golgotha][ :P and I prefer the warlord.umx honestly
- Spawn was temporary :P already changed it to outside now, but I still have to make a beginning and ending of the map, what you see now is the "middle" part. (Fortstandard flag is also temporary)
- Nice idea, noted down!

The map's gonna be like Hellraiser movie *duh*, if you've seen the movie, then you'll know that "the box" will get a lead role. Already thought of objectives for it, but I guess I'll finish geometry first, and "then" I will add the objectives, so I'll keep them se-cr-et for now :) since I have a kind of nice idea for it!

ow i saw u changed the overall scale inside :(
it was nice as it was in the very first release (first screenshots in here)

-> what is so bad about really huuuuuuuge corridors?!
-> when they give decent fps and look as interesting as they did (yes they did look nice to me in the first release), they just rock!! (as big as they were)

and the other idea of mine in that one big room there also is not applicable?
would be so nice wouldn't it? :D

ah well. you seem to know what u wanna build. so maybe i can come up with some nice ideas when i have seen the movie :D

gl with further mapping :)

If you use the Asbestos suit idea, you might try putting power-ups in the lava at certain points so that when defenders are using those spawns/teles they can only get them, but when the attackers use them they can't, i. e. the defenders have a spawn with a teleporter hub and plenty of Asbestos Suits and each location the teles go to have certain power-ups in the lava, so when attackers spawn there they can't get them. Assuming the teleporter locations and attackers' spawns will ever be near each other. :) Don't put any armor in though, that cancels the effect of the Toxin and Asbestos Suits.

build alpha 003 uploaded :) *points at first post*

edit // woops there's a big ass HOM, rebuilding :P

edit2 // fixed and uploaded as alpha 003b :D

Last edited:
pinhead said:
- yeah that's the primary goal :D
- I don't want to make a golgotha][ :P and I prefer the warlord.umx honestly

People actualy still have music on? I would have deleted the music folder however it is "required" :(

looks fucking nice (003)

maybe some parts are a bit to steep (would expect to be able to walk on it)

if you fall from that new bridge you dont die so any noob will be caught below bridge and not able to attack any more ;) (or bots) so put something in that will kill players.

same goes for the pentagon hole in the small room with the skull texture on the ceiling just when you enter the castle.

looks ok from that, the round corridors are ok too, ive noticed some weird shit about not being able to crouch on the ledge that prevents players from falling down from the higher part of the castle (outside)

and theres a BSP hole to the right over the rocks which you fall into when walk against the right end of the map. when you try to sneak past over the rocks on the right when attacking.

Alpha #004 is now uploaded :D

...and now for some answers:

DaTeL said:
looks fucking nice (003)

maybe some parts are a bit to steep (would expect to be able to walk on it)
looks deceive :) some being able to walk on and others not makes it harder to wander around the mountains, as it should! You need skill to walk on mountains

sobo said:
if you fall from that new bridge you dont die so any noob will be caught below bridge and not able to attack any more (or bots) so put something in that will kill players.

same goes for the pentagon hole in the small room with the skull texture on the ceiling just when you enter the castle.
was gonna do that later, but did it now, thanks for reminder

sobo said:
ive noticed some weird shit about not being able to crouch on the ledge that prevents players from falling down from the higher part of the castle (outside)
no idea what you mean by that.. maybe you can show me a screenshot or something? I tried crouching there but didn't seem to get any problems, although I might have unknowingly fixed it in #004

sobo said:
and theres a BSP hole to the right over the rocks which you fall into when walk against the right end of the map. when you try to sneak past over the rocks on the right when attacking.
seems to be fixed.. didn't see it

Rob1000100 said:
People actualy still have music on? I would have deleted the music folder however it is "required"
music makes it more fun to play in my opinion :) + I play better with a good rhythm behind it

AtmaDragon said:
If you use the Asbestos suit idea, you might try putting power-ups in the lava at certain points so that when defenders are using those spawns/teles they can only get them, but when the attackers use them they can't, i. e. the defenders have a spawn with a teleporter hub and plenty of Asbestos Suits and each location the teles go to have certain power-ups in the lava, so when attackers spawn there they can't get them. Assuming the teleporter locations and attackers' spawns will ever be near each other. Don't put any armor in though, that cancels the effect of the Toxin and Asbestos Suits.
Well.. armor is kind of essential I think.. and what powerups could I put in lava if I can't put armor (shieldbelt too?).. dmg amp is kind of unfair.. but well maybe keg.

Hardcore said:
ow i saw u changed the overall scale inside
it was nice as it was in the very first release (first screenshots in here)

-> what is so bad about really huuuuuuuge corridors?!
-> when they give decent fps and look as interesting as they did (yes they did look nice to me in the first release), they just rock!! (as big as they were)

and the other idea of mine in that one big room there also is not applicable?
would be so nice wouldn't it?

ah well. you seem to know what u wanna build. so maybe i can come up with some nice ideas when i have seen the movie

gl with further mapping
needed a quick answer that time, so I just took the first opinion about the maps scale. But now that I'm this far I rather not -again- do it all over again! :P Maybe I could make a XL version "someday" :D

I think it's pretty large now though with all the mountains and stuff, and that idea of yours.. well.. no more big rooms available :(

the "weird shit" is gone yeah, so is the bsp hole. why do you set a delay for the steam door? def will be ready guns up behind the door with shock and rockets (lavafort... :rolleyes: )

and I hope your ending is gonna include more then just that one objective or the map would be quite tiny. 2 or three more objectives (i dont count the unnamed one atm) sound about right for a properly sized map.

@ pinhead

Well, Keg yeah; in the hands of a l33t player it can be quite useful.

You might try the Shield Belt I'm not sure if that nullifies the Asbestos Suit.

Iwas thinking maybe some extra ammo or something.

But plz put the Asbestos Suit in! :)

tbh any unreal 1 item used in UT maps makes them kitsch. lava in ut is there because its very obvious to be avoided. lava narrows the path and so it narrows the action :)spam: anyone?) and it looks good but its deco and not part of the fighting arena imo. anyway pins decision.

AtmaDragon said:
@ pinhead

Well, Keg yeah; in the hands of a l33t player it can be quite useful.

You might try the Shield Belt I'm not sure if that nullifies the Asbestos Suit.

Iwas thinking maybe some extra ammo or something.

But plz put the Asbestos Suit in! :)

it's just the shieldbelt that nullifies the Asb. Suit, Armor and Keg seems to work fine :P, but well, I wanted to make a hammerjump to get the Asb Suit and then go to Lava to get the shieldbelt.. that's only thing that would be worth getting I guess.. Keg isn't exactly that great.

Only thing I can think of is putting Armor+Keg there, since if you hammerjumped you'd already have loss of 54hp and Keg would only give you 54hp more than your regular 100hp then. Isn't worth it :P but maybe if I add both Keg and Armor in a lava pool at the same point then you would get 100armor/154hp, which isn't too bad at all :) and def -and- att would be able to get it as well.

edit: seems I can make the Keg give more than 100hp, so I'll just let it give 199hp and it will be good too :D

Last edited:
Sounds good, but I think you should make the power-ups available to defense only.

Other power-ups you can use: simple weapons and ammo, Invisibility, and Damage Amplifier.