AS-Hellraiser

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sobo said:
theres not an easy way as you wann do it but there are easIER ways certainly.

If you want all of that wall perfectly alligned youll certainly have a job of 10 mins or more for 1 wall. but it can as well be done in 1 min.

Load As-golgothaAL, a map that imo has a lot of eye candy. or maybe not but it looks good.

Have a closer looks at the 4 castle towers. i doubt grz has used more than 2 minutes aligning those textures.
what he did (i think) is select a couple of textures like 3-5 sides and all move them by the same amount of 32 or 64 units left or right for instnace, then select the next couple of textures and move them a bit in the other direction. It wil be enough to create that non-blocky look and still save shitloads of time. of course some lines still dont fit together but noone notices because noone cares, as long as the tower aint completely unaligned (texture-wise)

then fly down to the Hurons temple. below the celing you will notice a pillar that starts at the one side of the room and goes to the other in a curved way below the ceiling. the inner side of that brush probabyl also didnt take long to align, its about a texture that does nearly not change on either the U or V axis, so it can be put together easily if rotated at the right 90°, most of the pillar or trim textures are able to be aligned this way, for larger walls, try fiddling around with the first way i mentioned.

i recommend looking into grz maps if its about texture alignment, the hurons temple alone is probably a full tutorial of smartly aligning textures to round surfaces. the pillars, the ceiling, the entrance, all have round surfaces that all didnt take lots of time to align probably.

Mm, I don't think that would work at curved tunnels and with curved ceilings. And I already tried something similar to that, with this TexAlign tool, but it still took me 2 hours to complete only half of the texturing, and it had minor flaws in it as well. I just noticed Grz hasn't used a brush like mine in all of golgotha, perhaps he didn't like the aligning part either :P

Thanks, I'll check some other maps as well :)

edit: thank you so much, I might have found a way now :D (finally a reply that helps!)

Last edited:
he used 2dshape ed brushs hardly ever afaik

It does work with any round surface virtually, its about finding suitable textures, that allow for this aligning methods.

pinhead said:
yay and then I will have 180 degrees textures.. and then the U/V panning will just magically align itself properly? :rofl:
180 degree? wtf u on, tit? if that happens you click flip U/V

if they're then UV misaligned, U/V pan them all at the same time (eg: all selected) and the answer is yes, they WILL magically align themselves.

floor alignment doesnt work with walls in curved hallwyys humph, they only CAN be aligned to floor if they are NOT orthogonal to a xy-level ground (not straight up if you know what i mean)
of course you could rotate the brush so they are no longer orthogonal, then align em, and then rotate the brush back, but it would fuck up as the textures would be misscaled in the rotated-back version of the brush.

Humph said:
180 degree? wtf u on, tit? if that happens you click flip U/V

if they're then UV misaligned, U/V pan them all at the same time (eg: all selected) and the answer is yes, they WILL magically align themselves.

Ofcourse they WON'T, for gods sake, do you really think my polygons are the exact same size as every texture that's on it eg. 256u or 512u..?! And no I don't feel like scaling them to exactly fit in one polygon. :rolleyes:

scaling them to fit in exactly is a easy method as well though. trial and error enter floating point numbers in the scaling multiplier and when you got it right. select all and scale them by that factor.

however it looks a bit weird this way if texture are compressed to much, or stretched to much or compresed in one direction and stretched into the other.

OMFG I'M TELLING YOU IT WORKS!!!!

And I'm going to go into Ued now and fucking prove it.

operation timed out when trying to connecti deviantart...

:\ but im REALLY fucking curious about it, can you upload it anywhere else,

ah i can connect now, mom

yeah aint alligned actually :\ for example a texture 256u wide would cover not only 1 side but about a couple of them, and we were hoping for a method that placed the texture over a couple of surfaces so the every single line and pixel fits together with the next surface...

Last edited:
if you look at a couple of poly borders close up you will notice that the same texture STARTS over and over on any surface, but on pinheads pic the texture continues on the next surface and does so over all the other surfaces.

Humph said:
That's because he has scaled them. I have done no scaling whatsoever.

no it's called panning.. all the textures in my pic are either 1x or 2x scale.. it's the panning that takes ages and there is no automated or easy way to do it (as said in many many previous posts ago :P )

lol humph dont you see the fucking difference?

his textures arent scaled to fit in each poly perfectly, his wall textures just continues over the other surfaces because hes moved all the surfaces by x unites along the wall so the second starts where the first ends, and so with the third fourth and so on.

A bot or batch would help to align em as its the exactly same stuff to do ;) but i know of none.

sobo said:

his textures arent scaled to fit in each poly perfectly, his wall textures just continues over the other surfaces because hes moved all the surfaces by x unites along the wall so the second starts where the first ends, and so with the third fourth and so on.

A bot or batch would help to align em as its the exactly same stuff to do ;) but i know of none.

well for every row of polygons you have to pan it the same amount of units, but when you go a row higher you would need to pan it a few less or a few more units, so I guess it could only be automated per row.. would be easier to do it manually anyway I guess :p: unless you know how to calculate it with the radius and the angle of how the row is curved x_X :uhh: anyone? :D

edit: http://www.planetunreal.com/fordy/ has a texalign tool, but I tried it and didn't seem to work with my brush

sobo said:
Yes, I see the difference in terms of what has been done, but I don't really see the difference it terms of how nice it looks.