New UT99 Assault map BETA -- testing needed :)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

:rofl:
Please look to AS-Ballistic and AS-Bridge in ue, then make something simular to that ! (gameplay, dm-ish, launches, tricky, etc :p)

Hey fnb. Thanks for the link to this place. I am impressed with all the feedback you have gotten and hope I will also get a lot of help as I need it to finish by our deadline. I still haven't gotten your map yet but I will download it tonight before I hit the hay and it should be there tomorrow morning. I know I said I wouldn't be beta testing anymore but I am wanting to see this (for a long time now) so I suppose I can make an exception. After reading your feedback I have some ideas on mine too. I also have an invisibility but it is merely for penetrating my fort and wears off pretty fast once inside so hopefully it wont be a problem. I am thinking that my framerate will also be the big issue. And seems they don't care for your cannons too much..lol I am wondering what they will say about my flaming arrows lol even tho they are more for look than deadlyness.

Again thanks for turning me on to this site and Good luck with this monster map. I will probably post my thoughts on the playground for you tomorrow night.

sobo said:
hint: maps that are only to a very small extent dependent on the minigun play well imo.

So basically your saying guardia plays well then? :P

minigun maps pwn btw :P

You are a very skilled map artist! seriouslyt though take a look at

ballistic bridge desertstorm subbase][ riverbed]|[ and have a look at how the best league maps look and build something simalar its hard to find mappers of your quality, this map is nice but tooooo big for league play :D /nick

ok, this is just FYI and cause someone asked to see these =P i managed to get the PART-2 map to build so here are the piccys of section 4 and 5 -- when i decided to split the big map up into smaller maps, i focussed on trying to get the PART-1 one done first, so these last two are a bit hacked up and UGLY -- i was replacing the textures and re-doing the lighting but stopped to work on PART-1. anyways, these pix give the idea of the whole thing was supposed to be (oh so silly me :D

this is section 4...
cheers

Attachments

• ocp2_Shot0129.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 138
  • ocp2_Shot0132.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 132
  • ocp2_Shot0149.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 135
  • ocp2_Shot0146.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 137
  • ocp2_Shot0251.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 135
  • ocp2_Shot0255.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 134
  • ocp2_Shot0161.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 136
  • ocp2_Shot0177.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 134
and lastly, here's the main part of section 5...
(no worries, the startrek sh$t is outta there =P
cheers

Attachments

• ocp2_Shot0184.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 133
  • ocp2_Shot0188.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 136
  • ocp2_Shot0190.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 134
  • ocp2_Shot0195.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 130
  • ocp2_Shot0198.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 129
  • ocp2_Shot0201.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Snuggs
:) VERY nice mapping :thumb: although it's a bit too big and there are way too much cannons.

it's nearly a solo map.
I think you should make two versions: one like this (just finished) and a more multiplayer map without all the cannons :P

/me has to buy another comp to see this shit in high resolution :( average fps @ high res is 14 ;)

//edit: put in tons of bio. we never had a biorifle based map :p: :snot:

Reactions: Snuggs
sorry excuse Snuggs here are tons of tutorials on the net and people like on these forums can help you techie wise.

as for the maps.. for the framerates.. I think they are low - partially due to masked-textured objected like several floors as stated - and also because the overextensive use of compound brushes. Well youve probably got loads of mapping experience and also made several maps with this technique but AFAIK using semisolid compound brushes makes these objects load (and be overdrawn) in very much more cases than a couple of separate full solid brushes would. You also use these semi solid where they dont give the map a better poly:node ratio, which is their primary intent IMO.

Semisolid [...] brushes don't create cuts in the BSP so they can be used for decorations without the risk of getting high nodecounts. On the other hand they can't hide objects behind them through the BSP so their rendering can be slower than for large solid brushes. They can also create collision errors for the same reason.
Remember this is not the Unreal Warfare engine and its not based on static meshes or other large high poly objects. Its dependent on CSG.

Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) is a technique for defining a detailed space by building it up gradually with simple shapes. This is what the Unreal Engine uses to define the basic Unreal World.

One of the big differences between making maps for Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2003 is that far less CSG is used to create its levels. In a UT2003 map, space is hollowed out (and occasionally added) of the solid world using CSG and then populated using Static Meshes.
I use to work with Subtracts and Adds as long possible and use Semisolids only for brushes that it makes sense for.

yeah, hear ya :) firstly, I got some good help with BOTS from a dude who's tuned right into the UT AI, who recently pathed/helped ona map called AS-Dimension by FritzX (that's a huge AS map, but quite well done IMO, looks very "classic" and has GREAT FRAMERATE !!!! the last beta is still over at UP i think...)
secondly, my assault map(s) is a bit old, i was trying to see about finishing it, so i came here to get a "reality check" and i sure did, LOL!
When I designed this map i had all these big ideas and experimented with brushes etc, doesn't always work -- that's for sure.. i always try and build the thing i see in my head (ie the vision) afterwards, i try and make it work -- to some folks see that as a dumb approach - sometimes it works though :)
I will fix this FR problem -- i'm sure it CAN render much better
thirdly, whether the design/layout is good or not, i still don't know !!! it seems not that good from what i read here, at least not good enough for real teams, so more of a novelty map (?) "too big" seems a bit vague, filesize yeah - it's a fatso, but to me, layout wize it doesn't seem that big - judging by all the AS maps i've been looking at this past week... maybe there's too much pickup and too many objectives? maybe just 1 "section" with only a few tough objectives is the best way to go for PING performance on a server... not that i think this map is even worthy of rotation, but I'd like to know what the maximum practical limits are for possibly other maps ?

anyways changes are coming for this map, beta1 hopefully this weekend

do you think i should post it here again, or move along now?
other than the AI (which includes pickup and removing some auto cannons etc) and the changes for better FR, the layout is still, at the moment, the same...

cheers

Last edited:
well a map shouldn't be longer that +-15 min imo, but should be concoured in about 5 minutes when attack playes well, i don't know your map very well but it is just huge, when an attacking team can't concour this map, they have to play half an hour against a good organized defence. (note that defence playes for at least 10 minutes on this map) which means 40 minutes of the same map, that's 1/3 of the total matchtime in UTAS, and that's kinda long

maps like bridge and golgotha and siege are a good map to look into for you, they can be defended full time, 15 12 or 10 minutes, but can be concoured in 1-4 minutes. and that's good, it's keeps it more exiting...

mapsize doesn't mather that much as people will download it eventually when it's in the league, but as long as it is not, lot's of people can't be arsed to wait 3 minutes for a map to dl... :o

i will take a look again at your map.. and give further advice

pykenike said:
well a map shouldn't be longer that +-15 min imo, but should be concoured in about 5 minutes when attack playes well, i don't know your map very well but it is just huge, when an attacking team can't concour this map, they have to play half an hour against a good organized defence. (note that defence playes for at least 10 minutes on this map) which means 40 minutes of the same map, that's 1/3 of the total matchtime in UTAS, and that's kinda long

maps like bridge and golgotha and siege are a good map to look into for you, they can be defended full time, 15 12 or 10 minutes, but can be concoured in 1-4 minutes. and that's good, it's keeps it more exiting...

mapsize doesn't mather that much as people will download it eventually when it's in the league, but as long as it is not, lot's of people can't be arsed to wait 3 minutes for a map to dl... :o

i will take a look again at your map.. and give further advice

good stuff pike! please do look at the team aspects! i will learn a lot from an explanation like that...

1. like, what would probably happen with your bros in this map? is it impossible to attack or defend? remember i can change the layout or cut/add parts pretty damn fast if i have to -- maybe wit some guidance a bit this map could be a bit more "correct" ... or maybe it's not worth it... dunno !

2. when you look at it, rememer it's 3 sections - originally i had a "Chain" of 7 sections (ok dumb) but i saw the gameplay as a "force" advancing thru a long base, with a lot of different "looks" and tactical situations, all in one map... ok that's thinking a bit "too big" lol - I KNOW THAT NOW =P thing is, each section is really like a single smaller map and can be finished that way if more sensible - i'm thinking yes that's better way to go -- for the small maps, maybe just 3 or 4 objectives, add some more routes/archy to make them each a bit more interesting (not too much), and have maps files maybe 3 to 7 megs in size ... then, like someone already suggested, maybe one, or 2 might be likeable by teams...

anyways, i hope yuo take the time to help me out, too :) i really appreciate all the good stuff you guys have pointed out and am getting much better understanding of what's needed, but i'm not all the way there yet..

thanks, and cheers

the map looks pretty FULL to me but that might also be a bit because of the framerate and its quite easy to get lost IMO
(I understand the author NEVER understands how someone can get lost because the author has seen every tiny bit :P)

I havent even gone through it offline because it seems too big and long for my taste, what pyke said about map lengths...
Then there are too many objectives IMO. This will result in either getting new spawns every other minute or - if they are simmultaneous objectives (like chains in Rook for example) - a very widespread action with no real choke points and these points are important and good.

As jwer said before I think if you are still wanting to experiment with the ED any more go on and release more betas or something but there are not too many ppl who really appreiate a single player map.
With your creativity and knowhow about mapping theres definitely potential for a really good map with steady gameplay input from a running league.
If you can be arsed go make a new map and if the first steps look promising there will be great demand and help for finishing it.

Maybe if you cannot think of anything but still like the idea: pinhead had started making As-Hellraiser a couple of months ago but gave up AFAIK. link! Maybe you get his permission to work on the map if you like it.
If you dont like that and just need some reference popular maps to look in are:
AS-Ballistic
AS-Bridge
AS-GolgothaAL
AS-Desertstorm (DM- and fighting-wise; its not a good launch map)
AS-Siege

sobo said:
sorry excuse Snuggs here are tons of tutorials on the net and people like on these forums can help you techie wise.

yer, there are tutorials...

but i mean the ED itself
the f00king thing crashes in 1 day more than UT in 3 months...:(

good stuff - lots to think about...
OK, need to go get all maps by "Grzegorz Kubicki"
i have some, are they all at naliCity, where is "AS-GolgothaAL" ? is the "AL" mean legue edition?