New UT99 Assault map BETA -- testing needed :)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

fragnbrag

Oct 30, 2004
hi, i'm a newb on these forums but here goes:

i have a UT99 assault map in need of testing (by real assault players/mappers).

here a download link: AS-(BETA)OrionsCursePart1

This is my first assault map (well, after making throwaway "test" maps) and it's not completely done yet (obviously!) so if this map sucks bad i wanna know (from people who know) and hopefully get some suggestions to improve...
i have another two just like this (well, sort of) coming up right behind it ... anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who checks it out and gives feedback :)

*** i've included a piccy "tour" of the objectives, etc, but there's much more to the map than whats shown...

*** hopefully this is the right place :D this topic seems as good a place as any!

cheers

Attachments

• AS-(BETA)OrionsCursePart1-map1SM.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 373
ain't played it yet
but these small screenies look damn cool :thumb:

and if it is really a new planeshifter:
maybe cut it into parts and use the best of them as stanalone-maps?

(btw: this applies to planeshifter too!! (if some1 could contact teh author and ask for permission maybe?) )

Well; what a sweet looking map. The design and texture use is unbeleiveable; the eyecandy is amazing.

Now on to the workable points:

Firstly; the last three objectives don't seem to work; the fortstandards probably need tweaking/repositioning.

Secondly; I see this map as being aimed towards the Single-Player genre. It doesn't really shout Multi-Player worthy to me; I doubt a defence team is even necessary with the amount of auto cannons in the map.

Thirdly; it's a huge map so you can't expect it to build smoothly each time, there are quite a few large HOM areas around key points of the map. (Might be worth adding more zone tags next time, so people can suggest improvements on a per-zone basis).

There were other points i saw as I was playing the map; but it's so big, i've forgotten them now :P

//edit

Just remembered another:

The explosionchains should be set to triggerable; as they seem to explode before the objective is even destroyed.. Though this was helpful to start with, as it gave me some idea where the objectives were :P

Reactions: Lex_Mortis
Map looks really great, desing owns, not like our league maps, just red/brown colours :P
But it has big problem its FPS killer, i use to have even 200 FPS on assault maps, and here its just sad :\

Attachments

• screenie.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 268
1) omg this looks awesome! (graphical-wise)
2) get rid of some (all?) auto-cannons
3) some paths could use a little change imo.... UT handles slopes up to 45 degrees as 'walkable', but in real life I find it rather hard to walk on such slopes, making it look a bit awkward
4) it was rather hard to find the objectives... main reason for this is because the panels that we have to shoot don't look like they need to be destroyed
5) ok for me, but I know a LOT of players won't play this your map due to FPS-problems
6) Who/what map won the contest that your map was origionally intended for? :D
7) *me jealous* :P
8) let's test 6on6 :D

1. Looks AMAZING, better than some 2k4 maps I've seen
2. Framerate is worse any 2k4 map I've seen :rofl:
3. Auto cannons are satan.
4. Too fucking big.