New UT99 Assault map BETA -- testing needed :)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

there are quite many as movies about launching
so you best watch them or ask some experienced player to show you all kinds of launches ...

hey thx for the links masteer :) i'll be dl everything from here tonight ... i do have a bunch of UT gameplay movies already, a few were from a big UT site but don't remeber the name (dammit) where i got them ...
i think i have bookmarked on my older computer, i'll have to look tonite -- offhand do u have a top 3 ?

Snuggs said:
this 1 is not bad...maybe

MOREAssaultTricksAndCombos

haha, i have that one -- it's good, i think i get it now a lot better than when i first watched it =P especially on bridge and seige -- i remember playing bridge online pub once and i couldn't figure out where everyone was disappearing to, or why the match would end before my team even got a chance to defend the bridge LOL!
-- i like the book launching trick, too -- that's one giant looking book tho :)

anyways, beta1 of OrionsCurse is coming with some good changes -- for what it's worth, the BOTS are amazing in this version, many thanks to "professor" over at UP -- he did a lot of scripting for the actors, as well, they rarely bunch or get confused and they even act like "real people" when sniping - OMG they're scary good at sniping you -- man, you really have to deal with them ;) i'm working today on the occlusion and brush-related stuff with the aim of curing bad FR (heh, just watch me ;) i will make some tough decisions, about all that semi-solid deco too... might put meshes for the railings, or ditch the railings - dunno - we'll see now it goes... the pretty skybox IS a problem -- killing fakebackdrop surfaces in the map gains a lot of FR -- will also kill transaparencies to see what i gain as well...
(wish me luck =P

much of what was said so far in this thread regarding this actual map (first the bugs and then suggestions to improve render and gameplay for this map, like the load-out, cannons, objectives, etc have been implimented -- for now, the demmers are still in there for now -- new graphics will be made for the pannels to make more clear the ones that must be destroyed, and some little things like rotor lights fixtures etc will be added...

so, beta1 sometime soon - i'll put a link here (new thread?) for anyone still interested in this - if that's ok...
i am running a beta at UP as well, so i could just stay over there and not pollute up your forum if that's better LOL!
lemme know

anyways , thanks everyone

cheers

fragnbrag said:
-- i like the book launching trick, too -- that's one giant looking book tho :)

books are removed in leagueas137(newest version)

seriously i dont think we need any intelligent bots lol we need gameplay and the possebility to do tricks ...
no one plays with bots :/

fragnbrag said:
so, beta1 sometime soon - i'll put a link here (new thread?) for anyone still interested in this - if that's ok...
Yeah, lemme know aswell, so i can put up the mirror for the lazy UTA members again :D

yeah books wont be there in the League Assault Mod.

Snuggs there are some basics you have to follow when working with UED and it will never crash.
Some of them are:

1. Dont EVER use the Direct3D renderer!

2. If youre vertex-editing a 4-vertex-poly always move TWO adjacent vertexes unless you know exactly what you are doing or youll end up with non-planar surfaces that crash the engine!

3. Dont use compound brushes with say more than 100 vertexes.

Keeping this in mind youll probably crash MUCH more seldomly.

sobo said:
:lol:

It's true, though sometimes running software can be a bit horrible; I use OpenGL in uED (by altering the UnrealED.ini); however the lighting is a bit off sometimes.

OC new BETA - 1 map **SMALLER** soon...

okee, i made a tough choice but hopefully better one!!!

i was testing the NEW part-1 map on my P3 computer and the map FR average was never better than 40FPS, spiking as low as 14FPS in that section2 so I threw in the towel -- REALITY BITES ;)

so i split the "part1" map in half -- and will have a new simpler final objective for this version after the control room is smashed (i'll think of a way to fix the story) for now tho, the performance/gameplay is priority...

so, now the "first half" plays much better, FPS is better (still not super, but much better =P
builds in half teh time now, LOL! go figure...
the second half i have some new ideas for - half do some redesign a bit...

i'm not done yet but i thought i'd show these pics -- FR reading are on my P4-1.8ghz -- no more 25 minute game, LOL!!

i have to go out today but may post gameplay beta later (tonight even)...

cheers

Attachments

• OCnewPart1startFPS.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 76
  • OCnewPart1attack.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 68
  • OCnewPart1defend.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
sobo said:
yeah books wont be there in the League Assault Mod.

Snuggs there are some basics you have to follow when working with UED and it will never crash.
Some of them are:

2. If youre vertex-editing a 4-vertex-poly always move TWO adjacent vertexes unless you know exactly what you are doing or youll end up with non-planar surfaces that crash the engine!

3. Dont use compound brushes with say more than 100 vertexes.

Keeping this in mind youll probably crash MUCH more seldomly.

it crashes sometimes if i click a light with right mouse... :rolleyes:

ok, i have a second beta of the map - sorry so late, i was really busy this week but it's up at UP now and admins are welcome to scoop it up if they like --- i started a another thread for beta2 (this ones's pretty long) and the maps changed so.... some feedback on that one would be nice :)
thanks all