New UT99 Assault map BETA -- testing needed :)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]

Lets put this in perspective.

GolgothaAL has on average, 165 data channels in use at any one time (without extra players!). This means that there are (on average) up to 165 different items that could be kept in-check by the client<->server.

RocketCommandSE has on average 380 channels. This explains why; in a 4v4-6v6 environment pings are slightly higher on this map than most others.

OrionsCursePart1 has, on average, up to 680 channels in use at any one time. This peaks over 710 in some parts of the map.

Imagine what that would feel like in a 6v6 game :eek:[/QUOTE]

Awesome :D

[QUOTE='//3iRd(o)]Final objective area needs rezoning, possibly rebuilding. If you have used brush scaling in this area i suggest you rebuild it from scratch; as it has weird effects on the weapons during online play (try primary shocking the final!).

Lets put this in perspective.

GolgothaAL has on average, 165 data channels in use at any one time (without extra players!). This means that there are (on average) up to 165 different items that could be kept in-check by the client<->server.

RocketCommandSE has on average 380 channels. This explains why; in a 4v4-6v6 environment pings are slightly higher on this map than most others.

OrionsCursePart1 has, on average, up to 680 channels in use at any one time. This peaks over 710 in some parts of the map.

Imagine what that would feel like in a 6v6 game :eek:[/QUOTE]

Wow, that means everyone could experience Anti's ping :)

AtmaDragon said:
Why are Assault maps not allowed to have Redeemers, Amps, and Invisibility?! :angry:

Worked for AS-LaserV3...
redeemer is totally unbalanced. you won't find it in any serious ut99,2k3,2k4 league.

same goes for amp - once you get all the enemys can do, is run. you spam some flak while having amp and everyone who comes closer to you than 20 metres dies instantly.

invisibility is the biggest bullshit - this is my 3rd computer im playing ut with and on every fucking pc i saw invisible players different. with my olg gfx and d3d i could almost see them as normal players and with my current one its a pain in the ass to find any invisible player . so invisibilty would give unfair advantages to some ppl...

Ive found textures bug, you may want to fix it.
Its happens when you going down on the stairs where the BIO rifle is.

Also played yesterday whole map, and now i can really i love it very much. If its your first map i have to congratz you, its really awesome, even our mappers arent so skilled tbh. Id like to have that one in uta.. ;)
Here are screenies where you can see that bug.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 179
AtmaDragon said:
Grrr...

Why are Assault maps not allowed to have Redeemers, Amps, and Invisibility?! :angry:

Worked for AS-LaserV3...

If the level is big enough to support 'em, keep 'em!

:nono:

AnTi said:
you, its really awesome, even our mappers arent so skilled tbh.

even GRZ didn´t make such nice looking maps (eyecandywise)

IMO only Mier´s maps come close to this look (Rocketcommand;Bridge)

keep up that good work :thumb:

Reactions: AnTi
Snuggs said:
even GRZ didn´t make such nice looking maps (eyecandywise)

IMO only Mier´s maps come close to this look (Rocketcommand;Bridge)

keep up that good work :thumb:

Yeah thats true but still i think this map looks much better ;)

Reactions: Snuggs
wow! u guys are great =P thanks forall the response, it's all good... first, some of the bugs are known, and i did NOT get all the way through the debugging when i figgured i better get feedback - there was enough of a map for that, imo. Remember this is the "first" beta so i could get steared down the right path (so to speak) since i don't come from teh assault community (obvious LOL!) wanna learn tho, and hope a good map comes from this -- beta2 is on the way, that's a few more days... bots and AI will be much better, gotta zone tag it and get FR up for starters...
it's big yeah, but can be cut down some if that helps in general (maybe 2 sections instead of 3 ???) the weaps and pickup yeah there's way too much i know, as with "stuff" in general, so intent is to cut all not needed stuff to support 6 vs 6 +-2 ... i was trying to come up with a decent design not tooo linear (like some) that makes a bit more challenge, but not unbeatable -- also, i don't know/play assault really well (i get my ass handed to me always =P but am totally amazed at assault player skillz, in general (heh i watched a pile of assault movies :D so wanted to try make teh uber assault map (jk) but the thing i designed has 7 sections, of which this one (part1) is the first three... lotz of map material, just needs some "refinement" maybe -- like clean out the sh$t and make sure good useful features in there - obviously i was dorko wrt ut99 engine limits -- BUT -- gotta learn this (assault ain't dm or ctf) thinking is quite a bit different... so u dudes rock!

i'll be back, btw...
cheers

Reactions: Ðeadßoy
if this is only 3/7 of the full map then I can guarantee you that we won't play it. As you might've noticed, people already think it's very big at this moment....so doubling it's size won't really help :)

again, if you'd like us to play it (I mean, not just for a few tests)... you're going to have to crank up the FPS for some people

are you familiar with the term 'spam'? there's some very spammy objectives I've seen (don't know the name....the 2 opposite ones that are in a small chamber just below the main area-level

keep up the damn good work... and come play on the servers sometime to get the hang of AS :)

edit: any other way of communicating than this? msn/icq/irc/aim?

DaTeL said:
if this is only 3/7 of the full map then I can guarantee you that we won't play it. As you might've noticed, people already think it's very big at this moment....so doubling it's size won't really help :)
I think he was suggesting the 7 sections would be spread out over 2-4 maps anyway - would be a very nice concept if they became league worthy.

DaTeL said:
if this is only 3/7 of the full map...

oh no sorry man i guess i wasnt clear =P i designed an assault map (about a year ago) it was originally 7 objectives (sections) each section had some sub-objectives. When i built it, it turned out much TOO BIG for UT99 to handle. So i chopped it up into smaller maps, like in a "series". (Part-1, Part2, Part3...) like the smaller maps would be like different parts of the same big installation (kinda like black-mesa, sort of) I chose the first 3 sections for Part-1, The next 3 for part-2 etc...

So now if this Part-1 map is still too big, then i can chop it down to 2 sections, or even one! Well, speaking for myself anyways, mappers don't always know when they're thinking too big, LOL! i'm thinking now 2 or 1 section (ie small maps) might be better, given the earlier post by WEIRDO about the server admin stuff (how many data channels ?? - i should learn about that stuff, that seems pretty critical... i do have tons of pickup in the map atm - i guess deleting pickup would get the numbers down, but how much ?? what's the best "worst-case" for client/server performance ?? - is there a formula how the pings can be estimated or measured without having a server set up??
is there a tool or method?

DaTeL said:
again, if you'd like us to play it ...
That would be so cool, but it's not designed right for league play (i'm guessing) i could crank out some league type maps though, if i knew exactly what you all wanted :D

For this, the FPS will take some work, i have a P4-1.8ghz/512ddr/GF3-64, also a P3-1ghz/1g-sdram/GF2-64U i use for "low-end" testing ...
I consider the following ranges with a maps recommended bot-load acceptible (this is what i usually seem to get)

P3: 25-60fps map averages @800x600/OpenGL
P4: 35-70fps map averages @1024x768/d3d

The piccy showing 18FPS from looking across the bay where he is standing on the wall -- well that's my fault it should be blocked !!!
Anyways -- I get the same reading on my P4, so, blocked or not i gotta improve that whole area, loud and clear :)

DaTeL said:
.. are you familiar with the term 'spam'? ...small chamber...

heh - i get ideas and put them in, they can be bad ones... i thought it should be tough there -- maybe it's dumb?

if you to contact me:
atm, here, or email [email protected], or UnrealPlayground...
(i should really set up icq or something... maybe next week)

happy halloween dudes
Cheers

Map looks excellent in places, some textures are a bit wank, few HOM's here and there, big FPS killer due to the see-through grids everywhere and the autocannons are really wank. Some of the objectives are a pain to kill due to health and the end objective collapses before it's even destroyed.

I don't think this map could be modified for league purposes but you sure as hell can build decent maps m8. If you want to build a good map i guess you'll have to start playing yourself a bit, get to know the launch capabilities we use, perhaps spectate a war or a bit of it, and if you don't feel like doing that, i'd pick one or two experienced (in this league) players with a bit of time on their hands to help you tell you what's playable and what's not.

I hope you'll try and build something league-worthy, but be prepared for the fact that you can't please everyone!

Reactions: Snuggs and Se7en
Ðeadßoy said:
Nice map m8 :D

y dont u show us parts two and three

that way we can tell you which parts we like and make them playable

/me=opens up the ed and PaintShopPro... :)

ok, this is map PART-3 (sections 6 and 7) hope you get the idea... this is obviously full bright, not dynamic light mode -- you can see better (well sort of) i know it's quite messy lookin at the moment, but all the textures being replaced and lighting etc, is also being redone... it's also pretty big, but a fair bit smaller filesize than the other two... the idea is to do some things then go on a big urban-warfare like romp to fire off that nuke at the end (now that's an original concept, eh =P LOL!

Map PART-2 didn't build properly - so i'll hack at it some more tomorrow night and get some piccys of that one in...

cheers

ps - beta2 of the PART-1 map should be ready soon...

Attachments

• ocp3-Image1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 85
  • ocp3-Image2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 81
  • ocp3-Image3.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ocp3-Image4.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 80
  • ocp3-Image5.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ocp3-Image7.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 81
  • ocp3-Image8.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 77
  • ocp3-Image9.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
so these ok? if not i can delete these and try something else... like 2d views or wireframe or even a walk thru...
i'll leave these here for now - lemme know
cheers