request for you l33T mappers

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lots of great map ideas but you all missed one important thing the motivation to start making a map becourse the chances to get it in the league is like zero. :freak:

fanoxo said:
Lots of great map ideas but you all missed one important thing the motivation to start making a map becourse the chances to get it in the league is like zero. :freak:

Not true, the requirements for gettin a map into the league are quite high, and the map has to play decent and look decent, and that takes a long time and a lot of effort to develope. But since i've been playing both AS-Desolate][ as AS-Saqqara(AL) where created and made it into the league...

The standards of the maps made here sofar are quite low though... if there's a REAL mapper that would like to try to get a map into the league i'm always willing to help, but sofar there hasn't been a decent mapper saying "i like to put some REAL time and effort into making a GOOD map".

fanoxo said:
:nod:

The hole concept of approving maps to league play here is totally twisted.
Say i release a new map ( without any bugs, well just imagine :D ) theres still like 50 ppl that want changes to it, instead of just learning to play the map.
Players here are so used to having dosen betas after the relese that they wont simply accept the mappers wiev on things .
Thats the main reason not having any new maps on league.
Why not just take 1 new map every month to play instead of 9 betas and 7 votepolls.

Map doesnt have to be made by grz or steelhorn to be playable by league standards imo, all the finests maps are allready in rotation, its time to look sum of the other "good" maps now.

jwer_NL said:
the requirements for gettin a map into the league are quite high, and the map has to play decent and look decent + AS-Desolate][ + made it into the league...
[IMO]Desolate dont look so good, maybe coz the hole map has like 10 textures and even those are pretty poorly aligned. Brushes aint aligned any better, theres spots where u can hammer off the map and hide/camp. Spawnpoints are facing wrong direction. None of the 2d brushes are merged. Just the hole look of the map tells quite the opposite of "put some REAL time and effort" but its a good example that even shitty maps can get to league :D [/IMO]

Humph said:
AS-Research wasn't THAT bad was it?
Nope, but it has wrong author name ;)

Japster said:
[IMO]Desolate dont look so good, maybe coz the hole map has like 10 textures and even those are pretty poorly aligned. Brushes aint aligned any better, theres spots where u can hammer off the map and hide/camp. Spawnpoints are facing wrong direction. None of the 2d brushes are merged. Just the hole look of the map tells quite the opposite of "put some REAL time and effort" but its a good example that even shitty maps can get to league :D [/IMO]

AS-Desolate is poorly mapped, even mutts would agree to that without the blink of an eye, but i'm still to see any new maps that even come close to it's design. Not that it's that good, the rest is just that poor, seriously....

I've only seen 1 map from you japps and i thought it was poor, siege]l[ is well made but come on, 3 belts, 3 armors, 3 pads, and the map is just too huge to play properly, even the "recommended player count" is 20+...

AS-Research was too flat and blocky, allthough the later versions became slowly better, it still was too bland, flat and squary.

AS-Desolate doesn't have 1 big flat surface all over the map, it has many routes that could all still be covered by very few defenders, it has everything a reasonably decent map should have, and that ANY other map i've seen on this forum doesn't have... In the end, a very N00B mapper and a few very dedicated players spend months and 17 different versions to get the map halve decent... i don't know about others here but i doubt anyone ever made 17 versions of a map here.

In short, the maps made by people in here SOFAR are bland, flat, too big or too small, imo not league worthy. (even snowdunes, where mutts and me spend months on and i have 27 different versions off, still isn't top imo and the tower part is annoying)

Name me one map that you think could be league-worthy and isn't in the league, and i'll tell you what's wrong with it...

Humph said:
Geko
Coldsteel/coldersteel/coldsteel][

all (or most?) of these maps where in the league before bugs where discovered that made them undefendable, so what's ur point? if it is that they are good enough to be in the league then DUH, they where...

Humph said:
And you really cant call Research bland when we have guardia.

There have been many votes to remove guardia and the only reason it's in the league and kept in the league is because it came with the box, and therefore any N00Bs in the league will know the map, giving them the option to pick the seven standard maps in the first few months they are in the league, and therefore giving them time to learn all the custom maps. If a map like guardia would be MADE today, and be a CUSTOM map then there would be no way it came into the league...

imo is a league map, a map which is able to defend proporly but also a good chance of completing the map

i.e. bioassault... okay it has loads of shitty autocannons and strange spawnpoints but atleast its a nice map to concuer

oh and i think siege3 is well playeble

pykenike said:
imo is a league map, a map which is able to defend proporly but also a good chance of completing the map

i.e. bioassault... okay it has loads of shitty autocannons and strange spawnpoints but atleast its a nice map to concuer

oh and i think siege3 is well playeble

No, this league always had maps that also are decent enough to look at, not just "playable" and i like it that way. "able to defend properly and a chance to complete the map" doesn't cut it for me. The maps in the league atm are decent to look at, or better, and any new map should be at least that, AND play well.

AFAIK bioassault also has been in the league and thrown out because of bugs, but some OLDER skooler then me would have to confirm that.

never played siege3 with 11 players that KNOW the map well, but with 3 belts, 3 armors, 3 pads, and lots of useless space it's seems to be a weird map. An experienced defence could take out both that seeking device and the fuse on top without the attack having a chance, then put 1 minnigunner inside the spawntower to camp ontop of the belt while the other 5 def the first objective, and it's a full def.

"playable" is decided by how well an organised div.1 team can def a map, not how well you can play it vs bots or map n00bs.

-=Dark-Virus=- said:
Your never gonna let research go away eh?
Its better than asthen, autorip, desolate, guardia, hispeed, lavafort, oceanfloor or subbase imo :fingers:

Japster said:
Its better than asthen, autorip, desolate, guardia, hispeed, lavafort, oceanfloor or subbase imo :fingers:

That is so fuckin' true... well... not Lavafort, lavafort = best map ever imo :)