AS-Dam

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I want to see screenies of AS-DAM, not a discussion about a puddle of water where no-one takes a swim on a place where normal assaulters dont walk because its behind the line of first spawnpoints..

I was wondering.. all those people are making new assault maps, what if all of those map get through the voting ? How much maps are allowed in the league ? 25 ?

CypresS said:
I was wondering.. all those people are making new assault maps, what if all of those map get through the voting ? How much maps are allowed in the league ? 25 ?

VERY few maps are good enough to even remotely get close to being voted for, in fact i think in my 2 years of playing here only 2 maps ever got in the league, and of those 2 1 is allready out again.

you need to reach a really high standard of mapping to come close, even if you allready made a league-worthy map its VERY hard to do it again.

most levels of mapping i've seen sofar here are pretty poor compared to league standards, and muttley's mapping was really poor too when we started working out how to make AS-Desolate playable, and the only reason it's in now is because we had a little help from the best AS mapper sofar :moon:

you wanna make a league-worthy map, it takes shitloads of decent mapping, loads of testing and a bit of luck too

jwer_NL said:
VERY few maps are good enough to even remotely get close to being voted for, in fact i think in my 2 years of playing here only 2 maps ever got in the league, and of those 2 1 is allready out again.

you need to reach a really high standard of mapping to come close, even if you allready made a league-worthy map its VERY hard to do it again.

most levels of mapping i've seen sofar here are pretty poor compared to league standards, and muttley's mapping was really poor too when we started working out how to make AS-Desolate playable, and the only reason it's in now is because we had a little help from the best AS mapper sofar :moon:

you wanna make a league-worthy map, it takes shitloads of decent mapping, loads of testing and a bit of luck too

how many maps u made?

DarkKnight said:
how many maps u made?

lol, when i read these forums and i saw all the "well done" "looks nice" reply's i got frustrated. To me it seemed mappers don't just post here to get patted on their backs, they post here because they are stuck. They have no idea what to make, how to make their map better. I contacted muttley and i told him he was a good mapper, but his maps needed work and i offered him suggestions.

Since then i've been his help. He makes maps on his own but whenever he needs advice, he gives me a nudge and i like it that way. Other mappers now have found their way to me as well, and sometimes ask me for help or suggestions and i'm glad to help them.

since i also have connections with admins, a server to playtest maps on, know people with webspace to post maps on and i know a lot of reliable players to test maps, i've been an appreciated help to mappers now and then. I also DL'ed over 300 CTF/AS maps sofar (still DLin more) and saved all the UTX, UAX and UMX files from them, so i can help with custom textures as well.

Last edited:
i also dont like these comments :\ in mutts new thread however i couldnt hold one back because this maps looks so class, bulls eye id say. if it plays only half decent it will be a great map IMO

back to subject: Help DaTel

about this "DAM of Hull"- (<--cheap name suggestion buff!:D Hey, it would be: AS-DOH :) ) map:

There was a request by DaTel of some objective's name, purpose / appearance: a dam is an installation to generate, or extract energy of flowing water, right? So there's no actual "pumps" since the motion of water is natural flow from high place to lower.. so i'd ditch any "pump" related things.

Instead: there is a turbine that is propelled by the falling/flowing water. This turbine operates a generator or a dynamo or whatever. So there are a few key words to think of as objectives..
(If there is for example some piece of modeling work that already represents the appearance of a pump system, why not just call it "Turbine Ram Chambers" or similar:) )

-Turbine ("Turbine Controls Destroyed", "Turbine Brake Activated" etc)
-Generator (clishé, maybe? :) "Generator output bypassed" or so)
-Water Shaft ("Water Shaft Opened /Closed" etc)

sobo said:
....because this maps looks so class, bulls eye id say. if it plays only half decent it will be a great map IMO

That's what i was thinking too.

Only it's not so good for me, because now my map has to own to get in the league.. :(

What about a 'Generator has been destroyed' message? :D very map needs one, (Desert, ballistic) all class maps.

Crap.....Sobo helped me out big time with ideas....but still when I try to do anything I go like..."right....and how the hell is it supposed to look" :(......

btw....this is not a cry for help....just a noticed that it'll take a very long time untill it's finished.....

Ok....Vortex asked me for some new screenies.....so everybody's getting some. Here we go

Attachments

• Shot0005.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Shot0006.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Shot0007.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Shot0008.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Shot0009.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Shot0010.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Shot0011.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 76
As long as we get at least 3-4 fps looking at that dam then :) its all good 1-2 fps isnt though :p:

Nice work, keep it up

AS Gurk already said: 2/3 ways to go to an objective, not to cramped hall-ways and not to much open fields/walks/roads etc coz then ur sniperfodder if defence has a sniper, half a decent sniper can kill 4 outa 6 attackers before they reach the other side (just an example)