League idea

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

On topic: Come on admins, we want your opinions!!

a) Who is going to code new functionality?

b) Who is going to spend time running the system and take abuse from players when things don't work, either as expected, on time, or the way they would like.

c) What is the motivation for anyone to do either a) or b) after all these years only the hardcore gamers are left. Those gamers want to play games, and the coders want to create solutions for recognition and respect from the community.

Basically there is a massive inbalance

We have:
  • Lots of good ideas
  • A few hardcore/long term gamers
  • Opinions, points of view, and I-know-best's
We don't have
  • Motivated or interested developers with spare time
  • Organisational skills
  • Staying power/long term commitment
  • A respectful community
Sorry to be so negative, but we've never been short of players good ideas or people with opinions.

OK that's basically why I wanted admin input, or at least someone with constructive criticism.

Anyway, I feel that based on previous cups, such as the 2v2, 3v3 AS cups and the 1v1 DM cup, all of which were ran and organised by 1 person alone? (Might be wrong with the 3v3). Also, my intentions weren't for this to be league/admin run, but for a few community volunteers to step forward and help out with the: Planning, Organisation, Commitment.

There really is no need for new code. The results and standings can be done offsite or even on the forums, just like I did with the recent speed run competition.

Doesn't require a system. It will be a knock-out cup with no points to be configured. The teams can be selected via sign-up on these forums and the volunteers can select the players in a private session in IRC, just like PUGs.

The motivation is as I mentioned for the "gamers" left playing in this league to have some competition rather than playing in a currently laborious league due to lack of players of a similar skill. Like said, we can carry on with the current system, but it will just taper out and then nothing will be left. At least with some side competition away from the league, then there is a bit of motivation and incentive to play the game.

Smant, albeit probably a little sarcastic, has already showed his interest and I along with Timo's lazy links, did the speed run competition by myself. I think it's a little unfair to brand approximately 150 active-ish league members as lacking organisational skills. Bamse did competitions himself and they worked out just fine.

P.S. - EAC was a really well organised and smoothly ran competition. Organised by a Non-admin member. Admins came into help later with forum use and website etc, but the fundamentals weren't. Everyone remembers this cup, so I see no reason why we cant have a couple of different competitions through the year, ones that would suit everyones preferred types. Be that ias, proas or even 1v1.

By the way, I am leaning towards idea #2 here. Obviously Idea #1 would need reworking.

Last edited:
I always liked a Draft idea how they do in the US-Sports as the biggest problem why cups in UTA fail is that its always the same people over and over again who sign up in one team dominating everything and wonder why others cba to play them. Its also why PUG is still running this good. I often tinkered with the idea of implementing it somehow with player-pools of different skill-level so it would be impossible for e.g. wish/mc to play together (sorry for pointing these two out :P). But then again, I don't know how eager members of this community are to sign up for different cups each 1-2 months especially when theyre forced to play with players who arent their best mates. I can see the amount of participants decreasing very quick.

Yes, 1-2 months is probably too close together. Some cups might only take a few weeks to complete.

Maybe a cup in January/Feb, leave march and april, have 1 in May and June, leave july and august, have 1 in sept and oct and then maybe a winter cup or something.

The thing is, if we have different organisers for each 1, it would be better. Also you will get some people signing up for all, but I reckon it would be different people signing up based on the gametype they love. For example, I think Maber and Jeroen will more than likely be the first signups on any insta based game, but step out of the stdAS and DM games.

Any light on this idea or what? Only Meteor and Bas of the current admin team has shown any interest and that was merely "sounds like a good idea". Is it being discussed? Or thrown in the bin like most ideas :|

AFAIK its not being discussed but then again you have merely proposed an idea, you are basically coming up with an idea and then letting admins decide if they want the extra work associated with it, guess what their answer will be.

Personally I dont think #1 will work, you have some ppl that want current system changed, some that dont, there are too many obstacles to make it worth pursuing the benefits.

#2 would work but theres no info given. Volunteers like who? How many willing ppl outside of the admin are ok with server setups, where are the servers coming from.

If you are going to suggest something then there needs to be more info, such as idea #2, Ive got at least 2 volunteers to help admin the league and server side (that dont need to be taught what to do), Ive got 3 servers on multiple continents to make it interesting for the largest group of people, I will use this space to host required stuff, I think these maps etc etc Atm you are merely gauging interest of others rather than admins.

Last edited:
#2 would work but theres no info given. Volunteers like who? How many willing ppl outside of the admin are ok with server setups, where are the servers coming from.

I like the fact that MyM pointed out that no one is thinking about this.

as far as I know, the only people who know anything about volunteering / server setup are XB, Farac and myself, and I've got the dzz server which can be configured for league tourneys, but seriously does anyone want these people (or Torp :p:) running a cup? :rofl:

Smant, albeit probably a little sarcastic, has already showed his interest and I along with Timo's lazy links, did the speed run competition by myself. I think it's a little unfair to brand approximately 150 active-ish league members as lacking organisational skills. Bamse did competitions himself and they worked out just fine.

No lol I was semi-serious. I've made it clear many times in the past that I'm willing to work in a capacity that would potentially benefit the UTA community but I think the majority of the people wouldn't want me to run a cup again :lol:. I'd be willing to run a cup again once more details are cleared up and I can establish how much time I'll have - I haven't exactly been active at all in months.

Any light on this idea or what? Only Meteor and Bas of the current admin team has shown any interest and that was merely "sounds like a good idea". Is it being discussed? Or thrown in the bin like most ideas :|

My interest in good ideas is not only merely. And I rate the ideas positive. And not only positive because it is a new idea. If and how an idea grows and how much it is practicable to integrate into a years old system, my sentence
"(also the implementation of the ideas is written on another paper and needs finetuning)" describes.

I am sure we all try to find the best possible solution. :)

OK, lets scrap Idea #1 for the time being.

Onto #2...

For simple 1v1 and 2v2 DM matches, publics or pugs at Quakenet will allow for quick setup, so on some front's not a lot of preparation is required.

We have 7 or 8 servers sitting there for 90% of the month unused. There are clan servers, like Smant has suggested with dzz, I am sure Waynos would also help out with Nil server and there is USC for any North American interest. Doesn't Derzonk have some German server aswell?

I know this sounds all very hopeful, but the potential is there, now it just needs more discussion.

@Smant - XB ran the EAC in 2005 and it went really well, I wouldn't mind if XB wanted to stage another tournament similar to this. I wouldn't mind if you did either. At the end of the day, the idea is for these tournaments to be small, fast and over with inside 1 month.

@MyM - Hopefully the further this discussion goes, more people will be interested and offer their help. Setting servers up is not THAT difficult. I was talked through it once to set up Mc's old server. uZi can also set servers. This is a hurdle we can jump later on if this idea does get to the next stage.

@Mush - I see it more as it being brushed under the carpet and people see others not replying so won't themselves. We have at this very moment at 8pm on a sunday, 60 people on IRC. A lot of regulars aren't even on and even more people who just don't use IRC. The activity levels of the league aren't really an issue. If these 60 people sign up for a 3v3 Assault cup with say teams of 4 for safety, that's 15 teams, that's is as active a cup as you want.

Last edited:
Work through it some more, saying we might be able to use this server and they may want to admin this isnt really good enough IMO, speak to the server owners and people that you think are capable, see if they would be interested, you dont need a firm answer just a level of interest. If they all say maybe then you are getting somewhere, if they all say no then youve got your first hurdle to overcome before anything gets off the ground and its not worth going any further.

If you go to the admins with an idea that has most points thought through then youll get their help, what they dont want is ysomeone dropping an idea into their laps and then saying, there you go Ive done the hard work of thinking of an idea now you go put it into practice and then afterwards possibly moaning on forums about the admins not wanting to do anything about it.

Also setting up a server isnt just about setting it, in all honesty thats the easy bit, you need the time to be there to solve any problems people have with the server when they are playing a game as well as the intial setup, such as what cheat protection do you want to use ( I can forsee some people not being happy with dm games against certain people if they dont have some confidence in the cheat protection being used), if playing AS and playing to a different map count do people know how to set that and to check scores if there is no reporter bot when theres a dispute, how do you make sure if its a clan server that there arent others messing around with thigns like webadmin when a game is played etc. lots of little things that no doubt youll say arent a concern but I know in the past all the people youve mentioned previously as running stuff without problems have had to have help with at some point

OK as we stand at this moment:

We have the following people expressing a desire to help out with organising:

Smant
Torp
od^ - Possible UTV and organising help.
MyM - Ambassador if we convince him it's organisable! :P
Pogo - Possible organising help with Draft.

We have the following servers on offer:

dzz server (UK) - Supplied by Smant
[Nil] server (UK) - Supplied by Waynos
USC server (USA) - Supplied by Dede/Killastone/Derzonk
b33r server (Germany) - Supplied by Derzonk

We have the following webspace on offer to show Tables and Results:

Waynos Server comes with web space and TS2 Server :) Thanks mate.

More to follow. If you could just reply in this thread if you wish to donate server space or a desire to help out!

Last edited:
As mentioned recently, a Draft system for say a 3v3 cup would be very interesting. It would mean the best players don't get thrown into the same team and walk the title.

If someone with a better understanding of the draft system can please reply explaining it, it would be much obliged! :P

http://www.prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77342
http://naat.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=generaldiscussion&action=display&thread=145<- read this american supremacy in the english language
gg kk...

1. everyone willing to play signs up as free agents
2. players rank the free agents "values" and lists are compiled and averaged

Code:
Final Rankings

pogo $1,000
wish $992
mido $984
spoq $976
loco$968
torp $960

3. a draft is setup with IRC bot, similar to pug, in each round the captain has a certain amount of money to spend, so they cant just draft the most expensive players, they have to save up for better picks.. also youd draft according to need, good backmen, good snipers, good mini rapists....

4. you play on your teams for 2 months or so, meet new teamates, teams will be quite balanced with few top players on each...

Last edited:
As mentioned recently, a Draft system for say a 3v3 cup would be very interesting. It would mean the best players don't get thrown into the same team and walk the title.

If someone with a better understanding of the draft system can please reply explaining it, it would be much obliged! :P

http://www.prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77342
http://naat.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=generaldiscussion&action=display&thread=145<- read this american supremacy in the english language
gg kk...

1. everyone willing to play signs up as free agents
2. players rank the free agents "values" and lists are compiled and averaged

Code:
Final Rankings

pogo $1,000
wish $992
mido $984
spoq $976
loco$968
torp $960

3. a draft is setup with IRC bot, similar to pug, in each round the captain has a certain amount of money to spend, so they cant just draft the most expensive players, they have to save up for better picks.. also youd draft according to need, good backmen, good snipers, good mini rapists....

4. you play on your teams for 2 months or so, meet new teamates, teams will be quite balanced with few top players on each...

I like your refreshing and catchy explanation style :). You light up the draft system very clear. :D

:thumb:

We have the following people expressing a desire to help out with organising:

Smant
Torp
od^ - Possible UTV and organising help.
MyM - Ambassador if we convince him it's organisable! :P
Pogo - Possible organising help with Draft.

Ok, with the exception of MyM, without wanting to sound too cruel, when I saw that last of names and the thought of them organising something like this, I laughed... lots.

Maybe people have changed, but then again, maybe not.

If the current admins are not interested in adopting the system and there is apparently little desire for people to change anyway I can't see why this topic is still going.

The idea is great, but it sounds like a glorified pug setup which may run alongside/take further interest away from the current league. If you and the 'pug crew' want to do this, then I can't see why you and those above can't start it tomorrow effectively.