League idea

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Torp

Hai
Dec 23, 2004
Milan, Italy
Right, there are a couple of ideas I've had and once again, serious comments only please...

Was talking with a couple people in pm/irc about this.

It is pretty obvious the league is running out of excitement, it needs something to liven it up. I know there are a few clans left in the league that like it the way it is, but my idea which you will read in a minute shall accommodate those clans if they so wish.

OK so for idea #1:

What I propose is a Seasonal ladder of stdAS, 6v6, team limit either 10 or 12 players.

Spring Ladder - January, Feb, March, April
Summer Ladder - May, June, July, August
Winter Ladder - September, October, November, December

Yes, some of you are asking, omdz wtflip no autumn? Well I just thing 4 months would be better! :P

Now, to pick the teams/clans, we could do this, as I suggest last month, via a PUG like pick. Clans that wish to remain in the league can also volunteer to be captain and merely pick their clanmates, that is no problem?

The rest can freshen up their team with new or different players. Each season, a new map or 2 can be introduced so we can maintain the map pool.

I suppose this would be similar to a draft pick. I am sure there are several ways to go about it.

Idea #2

How about we run monthly cups. Volunteer organisers.

After each 2 months we change the cup idea after champion(s) are crowned.

Example:

January/February - 2v2 AS cup
March/April - 1v1 DM Cup
May/June - 5v5 iCTF cup
July/August - 4v4/5v5/6v6 - EAC cup - smaller team numbers
Sept/Oct - 3v3 AS Cup
Nov/Dec - 3v3/4v4 - iAS Cup

OK, let me know if you think either idea would add a bit of spice to the league, or just add your opinions!

Thanks.

P.S., with idea # 2 I am not suggesting we scrap the current stdAS league, just adding some side competition for those that don't play many games but want to.

Last edited:
Really like idea #2. Could be a lot of fun if organised properly.

I for one would play, and hopefully it would spark interest for others since it is something new.

However, we really need one good quality league server (maybe [Nil] server? that seems to be the best these days), which is fair for all nationalities. As people know, the current PuG server/DoG servers have terrible spikes :(. Gothica suffers from similar problems as the DoG servers, and NGZ is very hit-or-miss at best. To fund a decent server for this, people merely only need to donate £2 or so and we can add another server to the list.

(Ps: I know lag spikes can't be helped and yes, I am grateful for the servers we have, I am just pointing out that in a cup environment, lag spikes which decide a game can ruin the spirit of the entire thing)

Just another little addition.

Firstly, my ideas are basic and can be changed quite a bit. If any flaws are identified we can change them.

Secondly, as mentioned on IRC earlier, previous cups didn't go amazingly well. The 2v2 AS cup springs to mind. However, if 1/2 servers are available, i.e Server 8 for eastern countries and a UK server for western/southern and 2-3 arrangers/organisers that stick to deadlines, it would run really smoothly. The 3v3 AS cup in 05 went well as did the 1v1 DM cup.

Also, it doesn't HAVE to run every single 2 months with no break. It can of course be 2 months on, 1 month off etc,

I like both ideas.
The only problem is getting enough people with interest to participate, I know in the current Assault league many are tired of playing wars, mainly due to the fact they are constantly playing the same clans every month. There are others who just want to assume the league is dead ( People have been saying the league is dead for years now ) therefore people lose interest and others follow.

I think these ideas can bring a little excitement to the game, and It is something players can look forward to in the later months should they lose the first cup/win it, changing players around etc to give them that boost to win.

Anyway, good idea, hope it works out

Also make sure these cups are all played on American servers. It has nothing whatsoever about me being In America. Honest.

Idea 1: You say clan leaders can still pick there current players, but what if someone else picks them first?

Idea 2: Nice idea, but I don't think it will help revive the community, as you will get one set of people entering the the 2v2, about 10 people entering the 1v1, jeroen entering the 5v5 ictf on his own, I don't think it will be a continuation, I think you will just see a different group of people each 2 months.

I'm not around much so don't know the state of things, it sounds like a lot of organisation for no return and a lot of hassle and bitching. Much like the pugs, except most of thats done automatically.

#2 sounds charming, but does this community have enough active and new members to revive the community?

Most people playing eachother since years. They know everyone, what those guys normally do and every tactic/launch anyway, so whats the benefit in creating more competitions when you see the same guys and teams all over again?

So one of the biggest problems uta has is the lack of fresh blood. This issue wont be changed, no matter how many rules will be changed or how many new tournaments will be created.

Last edited:
Nice critique, finally an idea thread that doesn't go to shit!

I agree with some of the comments. There aren't that many people active in this league any more, but I feel that in particular idea # 2 helps out less active people by giving them a chance to just partake when they feel like it without letting anyone down.

I think changing the game types is a fun idea, but they were just examples and of course can be chosen via voting to see which ones would be more popular.

@Mush, I suppose it wasn't really a reviving of the league directly. It was more of a pick-me-up for the current league system as it is very arid and stale at the moment. If it helps to revive the league then brilliant. Also, if clans want to continue in their current system then they won't sign up for it, but the clan will instead sign up. A group of sign-ups will be in theory drafted off into pug like teams or even nation?

Also, with idea #2 it is linked to the excitement generated when a competition or tournament is going to happen. A lot of people wanted to play the IAC and 2v2 league. The 2v2 league hasn't been much of a success because of how long you have to stay around to play. A cup, imo, would suit this much more. I feel though that 3 or 4 cups a year maybe the limit, but I feel this is the way forward as people don't have the time to commit month after month to a 4 match league system, and that I feel is why the excitement has gone from the league.

Finally some more points raised in IRC:

We are not really at the age anymore to commit our time to 4 matches per month, or even be available month after month. 1 in 2 matches is forfeitted these days and 1 in 3 matches uses mercs. The way forward IMHO is short term competitions where there is incentive to win for those that can only play for a couple of months in the year, such as holidays. If/when the league dies, if we carry on the way we are and not changing our ways, we will have nothing. There are still plenty of people active, we get 70+ some days just on IRC alone, add the forum trolls and the clans such as Dog/DFP/Svek/TNT/AAK/POL that NEVER come on iRC, we still have a genuinely active community. Why not put it to a vote... Remove ias and proas and 2v2 leagues, replace with an iAS 4v4 cup, proas 4v4 cup, 2v2 AS cup + 2 more cups - 1v1 dm or 5v5 ictf or 3v3 AS whatever, vote it! :P

Last edited:
#1 reconfirmed the fact that I think you're a complete idiot and come up with some of the most useless ideas ever. I don't know why I kept reading until #2 but #2 is actually a really cool idea and I like it and would be semi-willing to help organize a cup *(lol:lol:)*

#1 reconfirmed the fact that I think you're a complete idiot and come up with some of the most useless ideas ever. I don't know why I kept reading until #2 but #2 is actually a really cool idea and I like it and would be semi-willing to help organize a cup *(lol:lol:)*

Didn't you try doing that before and get removed on the grounds of being an utter tool? Something you have cemented further since.

I don't really think splitting the league into 3 mini seasons is such a bad thing? It would help clans that can't compete for the full year or don't wish to play for a few months due to inactivity?

What ideas have I come up with that were so bad? I've had 3 ideas for league, 1 of them was adopted, others were ias/proas related and limiting squad players. Please smant, just make a thread in chit chat if you wish to get an extra dig in :P. Keep it clean here and nice one with the willingness to help out!

Need some admin input on this!

Didn't you try doing that before and get removed on the grounds of being an utter tool? Something you have cemented further since.

Hence my "lol :lol:"
I was removed for posting Hai2u on forums... then un-removed later which was also pretty funny.

I think Torp just mentioned his first idea to promote his second. Clever guy!

Che obviously doesn't read all the posts. :P

This isn't an idea aimed at "reviving" the league. It is merely a side competition which would add a bit of spice into the league. At the moment there is little incentive for clans who aren't amazing to actually turn up and play 2 hour matches.

I thought 5 clans per division, creating more divisions would help, which to an extent it has, however still notice that relegations/promotions are being determined on forfeits.

Idea 1 is mainly aimed at helping clans out that have for example, younger players who have exams in this current period and can then not register for this current 4 months. Same applies for clans that prefer not to play wars over the summer, but certain players can do because they can enter the pug draft system to create extra teams. I don't think some of you are properly understanding this idea.

Explanation: Clans that want to remain in the league, with the 12 months being split into 3 x 4 month ladders. Others can enter the pug draft system where they get pushed into other teams.

Seems people prefer the 2nd idea though!!

Heres an idea!

Go hi-jack a thread in chit chat if you got all the time in the world to spam here :)

On topic: Come on admins, we want your opinions!!

Since nothing is in the final stage yet, I say my opinion based to the ideas mentioned.
Also the implementation of the ideas is written on another paper and needs finetuning.

http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?t=96274

Also the idea of days and one basic game start time as preselection for the schedule can work, if for example each clan can vote two days out that they dont want to play per week for each month. --> This way all days without a double booking are free to use. It can help to reduce the time amount that squad match arranger are spending in the schedule process down to a minimum niveau.

Back to this topic, cup games as an addition with mixed teams or preselected teams are an alternative path that help to focus on special montly game type main events. If a cup should affect monthly leagues is to carefully re/consider. This goes in mind with idea # 1 and can be combined.