What will I have to upgrade for UT2003 ?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Fin

'Zee German
Jun 7, 2001
Glasburghshire!
Resolution 1024*768:
image002.gif

If you have at least an 1.2 GHz CPU, just get a new GFX-Card. No real need to upgrade your CPU if you didn't plan to do so anyway.

These numbers are taken from Anandtech.com's latest gfx-card comparison that can be found here. Keep in mind that UT2003 will run faster than the Unreal Performance Test (it is build to stress the system as much as possible) which was used to benchmark the cards.

Seeing this number, I am confident, that I don't need to upgrade. But I play 800*600 anyway.

Last edited:
it depends what you mean by "need" - i mean even in UT, if you have GF3 and a 1.4ghz machine - it still slows down if you backhammer of the siege tower or run into about 50 rockets and 2 shock combos on gardia, so i spose its how much do you wanna spend.

I think UT's recomended 400Mhz is bollocks, so if they recomend a 1ghz for UT2003 i wouldnt be supprised if it wasnt smooth all the time....

The big difference is HW T&L support. The UT engine can't handle anywhere near as many polys as the new Unreal Engine simply because it doesn't support HW T&L. At simply running UT the new engine would be a lot faster than the one in UT, at least if you've got a T&L card. Trouble is they've upped the poly count to compensate for that :lol:

If you don't have a T&L card give up now, if you do, you'll at least be able to play it but you'll need a Geforce 3+ to do it at high detail I would imagine :D

the guys on the mtw site said they were playing at 100fps+ off a gf4MX card, I reckon about 800mhz and a gf2 gts will do fine.

Aye CS is a great gamer .. and u dont need a fast comp to play it either .. unless ur mean like me and throw loads of smoke grenades around :evil:

Crusader

someone clever - why does it make such a difference for the GF4 having more clock speed? compared to say the radeon where it makes no difference.

The resources of the radeon (memory bandwith, fillrate) are maxed out right from the start, while the TI needs a fast system use get to use it's full potential.