Videogame characters

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Menace said:
Has anyone played Final Fantasy X then? out of all FF games I played I must say that's the one I enjoyed the most as far as the actual playing goes. I still can't beat it cuz my PS2 is fuckz0red (it scratches CD's and loads slowly, my brother dropped it, lol) but I'm less than 4 hours away from the boss I'd say.

Without spoiling anything, I think you'll find although the actual ending is GOOD, the end bosses kind of suck a bit. I found that to be my huge disappointment. However, it has LOTS of customisation in terms of character development. I got all 3 of my characters with armour consisting of- Auto-Shell, Auto-Protect, Auto-Phoenix and Break HP Limit. Took a while lemme tell you!. If you have the European version you also got all the extra dark bosses to beat, some of those you will need to work on your character development a LOT, and that means plugging spheres into every one of those empty ones, never mind getting all the best weapons and making the best armours. In that respect, its a truly good game.

EDIT: The monster capturing will take you a while also. Damn Tonberrys :P

What I loved was training a bit before a boss battle, then making sure everyone's Limit Break meter was 100% full (including ALL the Aeons) and basically beating the shit out of a boss with all my uber limit breaks :D
I need a new PS2 before I can finish the game though, really want to atm :(

FF7>FF8>FFX>FF9

(Excluding FF6 and the snes versions)

It would take too long to go into a huge discussion about why one ff is better than another. Alot of it is down to personal preference.

I dont think FF7 is overrated. It deserves alot of the respect for its class of game. When it was released there was nothing that could compare to it. The storyline to some with plot holes is a classic mind challenging - open to imagination outcomes.

FF7 story for me was the best out of the 4 above. Because it left the possibilities open to the player. Kind of like The matrix cliffhanger on reloaded. This is one of the reasons many people hate the game, whereas the more obviuse direct storyline of FF8 and FFX is easier to understand/acknowledge.

Miner's comment about worst ending of recent times of FF7 is quite possibly sentimental? If your involved with the characters after 100+ hours or so. Without giving spoilers away the ending might seem 'unfair and unresolved'. For me that was perfect. Its why they are able to make 'advent children' a sequel to the game. It wouldnt be possible in FF8 or FFX really.

FF8 was nice ending too, didnt leave possibilities for much thinking was a simple THE END (for some thats great and doesnt piss people off).

FF7 had great sub games which where on its own like several games. For me, that game was the most addictive game i have ever played. Its sad to say but i spent perhaps over 400hours over a year playing that, something i would never do again, but 4years back i loved it.
I did everything in terms of sub quests, secrets, you name it, making the overall experience in FF7 unlike anything else offered so far.

Sure FF8 has the card game and other small things but not compared to FF7.

Anyway i respect everyone elses opinions, to me i love the entire Franchise of FF, but FF7 cuts its for me out of the 4 most recent games. FF8 a close second.

Btw I have both FF7 and FF8 on PC version, if anyone would like that contact me for a link to buy it ;).

Menace said:
What I loved was training a bit before a boss battle, then making sure everyone's Limit Break meter was 100% full (including ALL the Aeons) and basically beating the shit out of a boss with all my uber limit breaks :D
I need a new PS2 before I can finish the game though, really want to atm :(

That's the way my gf (some say a Rinoa-lookalike!) does it. I call it the cheaty-cheaty method :P

My preferences (of recent times)
FF9>FFX>FF7>FF8+FFX2

But, I love FF2, because it is by far the hardest game (NOT FF5USA, the NES version of FF2) and compared to that today's FF games are just way too easy, especially as I level up these days a lot at the start, the end bosses seem really easy in the end.

Last edited:
I'll have to beat FFVII someday, but so far I dunno :\
In both FFVIII and FFX I became attached to the characters in minutes (especially FFX, FFVIII took longer) in FFVII it STILL hasn't happend to more than 1 character after more than 5 hours of playing and that's a bit wrong imo.

"whereas the more obviuse direct storyline of FF8 and FFX is easier to understand/acknowledge."

I think FFX really has a complex and very interesting storyline, especially with Auron/Jecht and Tidus and their "issues" (not going to spoil anything here) and it was definitely not simple and easy to understand in the beginning. ontop of that every character has a real story and proper background in that game, you can easily attach to all of the characters instead of just the main character; a major point for FFX there.

the FFVIII ending was by far the most rewarding I've ever seen in a game, especially after spending 30+ hours training all characters (except Selphie I think) to level 100.
I won't spoil anything but the Seifer bit was great, and the end was great too at that party.

I'll play some FFVII tomorrow (or the day after if I'm busy, I will be) but if I don't feel for any of the characters after 3 more hours I might aswell quit playing :(

Miner said:
That's the way my gf (some say a Rinoa-lookalike!) does it. I call it the cheaty-cheaty method :P

hehe, I call it the "omfg I will pwn j00 will my uberl33t attacks in exactly 6 turns" method. it works, and it works well.
and it's spectacular aswell :)

Don't tell me you don't do it :p:

I've never done it, and I shout at my gf when she does it :).
She's playing FF9 now, she can't do that, so she's learned the way of stupid levelling up before anything else.

Menace said:
I'll have to beat FFVII someday, but so far I dunno :\
In both FFVIII and FFX I became attached to the characters in minutes (especially FFX, FFVIII took longer) in FFVII it STILL hasn't happend to more than 1 character after more than 5 hours of playing and that's a bit wrong imo.

"whereas the more obviuse direct storyline of FF8 and FFX is easier to understand/acknowledge."

I think FFX really has a complex and very interesting storyline, especially with Auron/Jecht and Tidus and their "issues" (not going to spoil anything here) and it was definitely not simple and easy to understand in the beginning. ontop of that every character has a real story and proper background in that game, you can easily attach to all of the characters instead of just the main character; a major point for FFX there.

the FFVIII ending was by far the most rewarding I've ever seen in a game, especially after spending 30+ hours training all characters (except Selphie I think) to level 100.
I won't spoil anything but the Seifer bit was great, and the end was great too at that party.

I'll play some FFVII tomorrow (or the day after if I'm busy, I will be) but if I don't feel for any of the characters after 3 more hours I might aswell quit playing :(

Okay - I dont mean its not simple to understand the storyline. The stories as a whole is what attracts most of us to Final Fantasy anyway, so generally were hooked on all of them. I just meant, even when everything is revealed, YOU know whats happpened. There is not 2 sides of the coin in outcomes. In ff7 you really dont have a clue, which in some cases granted it gets annoying.

Also i agree that FF8 and FFX are more linear, i use this term lightly because FF7 isnt that type of game. The character development in the game is more fluent than ff7. But again this works as an advantage to the game to me, i wanted to put more time and effort in to find out more. Kept me playing, to work for answers etc.

But some interesting things written here. Perhaps we could make a thread based on the games, but im sure it will just me You, miner and I debating over the games. I would recommend seeking out some of the ff boards, alot of them are really interesting.

I wouldn't go to an FF board, I don't want to be labelled as one of these crazy fanatics (see the cosplay link :P). But, in this age where all I do at my m8s is cook BBQ, drink beer and play Halo online over X-Box Connect (via PC) the FF series is one of the sets of games I only play by myself (or with a spectator) these days. Apart from that and the odd Nintendo game. And that brings me onto one more thing: FF is a game to be played in SINGLE player. FFXI is tosh!

Viktor from suikoden, he' kinda kewl and yea suikoden is another rpg for ps1. (imo one of the best rpg's ever)

as for the off topic talk, FF7s gameplay was juts perfect and FF8s story was class, infact so well writen that they could make a movie of it. but that's my opinion :) I haven't taken some spare time to even try FF9 yet, as my playstation is abit old and wont work most of the time but I will prolly buy it soon enough, got a ps2 now and bout' FFX.. have only pld a couple of hours so far, it's like menace and his thoughts about FF7 I guess, I just don't like it but I will give it another try one of these days.

@ Menace:

For a start, the whole GF junction system is horribly confusing for a FF noob and still pretty bad for someone who's played other FFs before. The battle system is close to the same as in FF7, but wtf is with this Draw rubbish? Now I have to spend half an hour per battle drawing magic out of my enemies and hoping they don't kill me before I can fill em up to 100. Boring as hell. The limit breaks - I still don't have a clue what's going on with most of them. Zell's is impossible to get right, Squall's is a bit crap etc etc. Why can't it just be in like FF7?

Another thing was the remodelling weapons system. Oh good, I have to travel all the way to the other side of the world in the hope of getting into a random battle with an enemy who may or may not have a piece that I need. Fun.

The main character was a nob-bag and his companions were either annoying people or crap fighters. Some of the areas were enormously tedious (omfg at that desert prison - go all the way down then all the way up then all the way down AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGG!!!), the story was bloody confusing to say the least. How did they end up in space ffs? Did I miss something? There was no way of knowing where to go once you had completed certain bits of the story. You just had to fly around and hope that this town was where you were meant to be next.

Anyway it was just very badly done all round and a poor followup to FF7, which was completely class. Btw I didn't like FF7 at all at first, but once you get further into the game (say around the Gold Saucer) it opens up and gets really addictive ;)

Reactions: McNeill
I'll be Vivi from FFIX

vivi.jpg