Troy

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

people probably didn't know that jumping was an alternative (they were not as developed as we are, were they?) or they lacked the skill and coordination to jump like achilles does. point is don't let such small -possibly unrealistic- things get you all worked up and you will enjoy alot of movies alot more.

(although i see your point aswell)

Reactions: masterrr
I thought it was a bit lame. If they were going to mess around with the story and characters then they should have gone the whole way. I've read The Iliad a couple of times and it's pretty boring anyway (regardless of its classic status) so why not create something amazing?

And the bloody Trojan's horse. It just goes to show what a ridiculous film device that is. Monty Python made the point in The Holy Grail

Ice said:
people probably didn't know that jumping was an alternative (they were not as developed as we are, were they?) or they lacked the skill and coordination to jump like achilles does. <snip>
(i know i shouldnt be nitpicking when watching a movie, but that move just made me laugh :x)

and you are joking right? you can't seriously think that there is a single man alive today that could beat one of the better swordsmen of that time... you seem to think that the greeks were like apes or something, i mean c'mon, dont u think they knew how to fight with swords during the days where you actually fought with swords :p:

edit: typo

Sauron said:
the point is, no matter what theory u come up with, the achilles-move is still bullshit. if the jump was better than a move on the ground then it would have been used in reality.

Wasn't the point really that Achilles had had his death foretold and knew that whatever he did he would become renowned, which is what he wanted. He could have danced a tango with a pillow strapped to his head and fought them with spoons and still been what he wanted to be. The advantage of being half-immortal I guess.

to hector: yes he knew that he was gonna die but he didnt know how or when, so he wouldnt just stupidly run into a fight without cover.

to ice: you really think the greeks didnt know how to jump? lol
all those warriors did all day and all life was train for war, they must have known all possibilities their armour, weaponry and bodies allowed.
you're righ that one shudnt take such small unrealistic things serious. but as i said in my last post; if the approach is realism then it shud be held thruout the movie. however that doesnt spoil the movie for me, i still like it a lot, its just one of the reasons why i wud give it a 7/10 and not more.

i thought of a more sportive approach to the achilles move :D
in this post u wrote about how he decepts the enemy with pretending to go left, then dodges right. thats a very important move in handball, if you do it right you can easily pass the opponent by but he would still be able to touch you, hence when achilles does that, his enemy could still easily hold his shield or sword where achilles would come from. so its still not that good a move. :D

it's not about knowing how to jump, it's about knowing the exact technique.

Unseen said:
you can't seriously think that there is a single man alive today that could beat one of the better swordsmen of that time...

he would just shoot him down with a machine gun, that's evolution (don't judge the post by this sentence, read on). and a similiar progress as swords to guns is within a fighting technique, for example sword fights.

point is that a good fighter can still lose if he doesn't know and expect the enemies (new) move, especially if it's done fast.
a recent example: good soccer players can fool their enemies with tricks they don't know, that's exactly the same thing and -to get back to the sword move- even if he had a shield, once he gets fooled he's basically fucked, reaction time is way higher, unknown situation etc.

agree or not, i don't care. it's a valid argument for achilles' move to work :P (and even if it wasn't, the move does still look cool. go watch animal documentations if you want it all perfectly realistic.) :D

Last edited:
What happened to the fact that Achilles was attracted to Paris in the real story told by Homer?
Too :gay: for Hollywood??

and i ofcourse meant with a sword, but u knew that already :P

and i dont think that it would be a good move in combat to drop down on ur knees and try to stab at the opponents balls, even if it wouldnt be expected :P

Predictable brainless Hollywood shit
PBHS ;)

Couldnt agree more, i like a good Hollywood action film with gr8t effects too, but when you do like this one, i can see the minds of the producer and Director.

- OK, lets throw in a good actor, some blood fights, some romance, and use the story as ground and we have it!

fs, looks like Holywood is on a old-story spree with Alexander, Kung Arthur etc. just to squeeze as much money out of it as possible, just waiting to see a new Viking film with Dolph Lundgren and im NEVER gonna watch such crap again. Hollywood, you have been warned :)

and btw, when making a big film like this why didnt they throw in John Williams to do the music so it would atleast be descent, now i didnt hear a single nice tone in the whole movie, just romance crap strings :shout:

Last edited: