The return of AS-Snowdunes...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

cause i was bored wednesday i changed some things in snowdunes and send it to Useless to test it..

i increased the retriggerdelay and removed the lift in the final part,
i also found a really easy way to prevent the buggy ramps in the low-grav tower.

He is either ignoring me or he doesn't care or he doens't read his mail but i didn't have any reaction yet!

Going to iron some things out and just post the bugger here. if people are actually intrested:x

in comparison with the preview version:

BEFORE TOWER

Ammo boxes and weapons rearranged (couple of bugs removed)
Sniper rifle moved closer to spawn / waterfall rifle removed
New jump-pad (to sniper ledge) and button created beside belt platform - the hatch is triggerable (by attackers) 30 seconds after the map has started, and every45seconds from then on 45 second counter resets each time it is used, so it can't be constantly abused / spammed) (45 instead of 35)
Platform which boots used to sit under removed
Boots moved to middle island of new pond (icy water deals damage)
Waterfall made to look less transparent
Small rock put in corner where pointless thigh pads used to be - this is to cover a HOM and help continuity
Ramp leading to Second button is now wider
Shock ammo and health pack placed at gun hatch to help Shipdock button defenders
Ledge with lamps placed above glass window wall of def spawn room - this is to cover an annoying invisible ceiling, allowing players to hammer-jump up without fail
Duplicate rocket-launcher and ammo removed from high corner platform (above def spawn room)
Rock placed against cliff above def spawn room windows - this is to enable defenders to dodge from the sniper ledge and land below without dying (can also use the water), and also to enable attackers to dodge down and pick up the rocket-launcher faster after they get the Cells
Sniper ledge enlarged
Thigh pads and various pickup changes in the def spawn room areas
New message added to the console to alert the attackers when they've reached the new spawn in the ammo room - this was a problem before because people had trouble knowing which of the four low buttons they had to press to get the new spawn (for the record the buttons are Radar, Shipdock Lasers and Tower)
12 second delay between Shipdock Lasers button being hit and lasers actually coming down
The lasers at the ammo room spawn are no longer removed with buttons - now the attackers have to trigger all three of the buttons which enable the new spawn instead, this is to make it easier for the defenders at the Tower Doors button
Rocketlauncher in scd attackspawn removed

BETWEEN TOWER AND CELLS

Left jump-lift fixed in two ways (can no longer get stuck halfway up it by holding right and forward as you enter, can no longer reach the thigh pads through the top exit)
Right jump-lift floor texture fixed
Hole in middle ramp fixed
Cells made slightly tougher so they no longer fall with just one flak ball

AFTER CELLS

Ceiling raised to make high launches less likely to hit it
New sniper ledge above the attackers' exit doors,
added a mountain in last part which prevents attack from hammer launching easily behind a covered hill, now attack can be sniped from either of the two parts
Walls on right after jump-pad raised to prevent attackers hammering over and sneaking to the ship
Couple of ammo pack changes to favour the defense
Scary kraken now inhabiting the water (this water also does damage, though there is now a platform to allow players to escape rather than suicide)
Small wall placed in front of the ship - this may look odd but it's to deal with a very annoying invisible ceiling extending from the bow of the ship which couldn't be fixed any other way

Miscellaneous other minor changes to ammo packs, health, textures, etc.

Unless I've forgotten anything which should be in the above list, the other changes were all to remove bugs - minor and major - HOMs, bsp holes, invisible walls, etc. These kept popping up during countless of Pyke's rebuilds and we lost count of how many there were. We think most of them are gone, though we still know of one or two. Sick of rebuilding, Pyke has decided that unless they harm gameplay they can pretty much stay, much like Golgotha's or whatever.

We also know about the invisible ceiling directly above the entrance to the final ship, which can be hit by hammer-jumping upwards from underneath, and you can also walk onto it by walking along the ship's roof. But that ship was always been a nightmare, we know that, and Pyke can't fix it by putting a wall in front of it, obviously. Unless anyone has any idea how to fix it it will have to stay.

So that's it, bold is changes in the last version, with some more bugfixing

Last edited:
In the beginning, where you replace the pads with a little mountain, you can get stuck behind it in the corner :/

The pond with boots is too large now if you ask me :/

The jumppad before tower is kinda funny but don't know if it should be there :/

I liked that lift bug too the top :( Sometimes it does funny now

All the other changes are good man :)

Sorry for not replying Pyke, having some issues with my conn lately and hadn't gt around to it. Anyway I'm dling the map now and having look and I'll get back to you :thumb:

Right I've just played through it and I've got to say it's excellent :P I could hardly find anything wrong with gameplay or flow, and imo fixing the crouch / gravjump thing really helps - it was already too easy for attackers to get directly to the pads and flak the Cells in one run.

@ Solar - I couldn't find any way to get stuck behind the little bump where the pads used to be - I dunno how you managed it but I don't think it should be a major problem, as it's an empty dead end anyway. I'm sure if Pyke can fix it he will.

The island with the boots on it is deliberately surrounded by damaging icy water, but you can reach it with one side-dodge and take no damage. Again hardly a major issue, and people should have to work for very helpful powerups.

And yes the new jump-pad thing outside will take a bit of getting used to, but it's no different to the one in Dungeons and it's not quite as easy to use. You might think it makes it too easy for the attackers, but I fail to see why it's tough to snipe a guy out of the air who has used that jump-pad. Attackers will have to be pretty lucky to get the Cells from the pad alone, and the def will have to be rather suckage to allow them to. It's one of those things you use only when you think you can get away with it, and the only way to really turn it into a useful feature for attackers is if they co-ordinate themselves so that three or four guys use it all at once, thus spamming the def sniper - again this is something the def will have to ensure does not happen.

@ Pyke - All other changes as far as I can see are good, and I only have a few more piffling suggestions before I would consider it about as good as we can make it:

BUGS

Still a tiny HOM under one of the trees to the right of the attack spawn on the hill (screenie below).

Still a weird bug with the radar dish where if you crouch on it for long enough it very suddenly snaps around to its starting position unexpectedly for no reason.

Inside the grav tower there is a little block floating in mid air which prolly shouldn't be there (screenie below).

At one part of the final run there is an ambient noise of running water which probably shouldn't be happening, as there is no running water nearby :confused: (screenie below).

DESIGN

People will quibble about the jump-pad to the sniper nest, and if there's one thing that will stop people voting for this version into the league it's that feature. But if you can just learn to accept that it's there it's not nearly as big a change as you might think. It's not a huge gift to the attackers, it's hardly ever open and it doesn't stay open for long. It's kinda like a shieldbelt - it only happens every so often, gives a big help to whoever gets it, but once you lose it you have to wait for it to come back.

The one thing that pulls this map down for me is still the way the def come into the low grav tower once the attackers have opened the low doors. Assuming the attackers are going to take the most helpful gravlift - the one to the left of the low doors - they all appear outside the def teleporter and naturally throw some spam at it on their way past. This makes it very tough for the def to get out, particularly since the only weapons they can grab in their own spawn come with no ammo packs, they get no armour and no cover from turrets or whatever. There is a very short space of time between an attacker dying outside that spawn tele and him reappearing there - less than ten seconds I think. Maybe a bit of help for the def eould be good here - mb have them spawn inside the tower with a minigun or sniper on the circular pad? Or put a turret above and behind the pad to help them out when they come through the tele. Or put some ammo down inside the def spawn room so that def can pick it up as they run to the tower tele. Something needs to be done there though because it's tough deffing the tower with constant waves of attackers running past and you with no ammo or armour.

I also think the Cells could be made a bit tougher, especially since the flak is so easy for an attacker to pick up before he even enters the tower, with lots of ammo for it as well. Mb make it four flak balls to bring each one down? This would prolong the tower section of the map but not in a bad way, as it's unbalanced in the attackers' favour atm.

Only got two points about the last section of the map:

The ship is now virtually perfect, all clipping bugs removed, no weirdness about its shape etc. But the block in front of it to cover the invis platform looks very out of place. I understand why it's that shape but a few textures wouldn't go amiss on it, a bit of decoration. Atm it looks like what it is - a shabby rug covering a stain on a carpet.

And the def don't exactly spawn with much in the way of useful weps or ammo :hm: They spawn too far forward to pick up the scarce ammo in the room behind them, and of the weps they get only one of them is instant hit (mini) and no good for (eg.) sniping people out of the air as they get launched past. The def need a shock or sniper to protect them against launchers, then again there is a sniper rifle under the belt outside. I would suggest swapping the shock behind the little pile of snow and the r/l in the def spawn - just swap them around so the def spawn with the shock in front of them - this would also help them combo any lurking spawn-campers on their way out of the spawn area. I don't think more ammo is needed in the spawn room though - as there is more than enough near the ship.

---

I think that's all I have to suggest at this point. Hope fully Pyke and I can work on this stuff if he agrees and this version will be completed :D

Attachments

• Shot0002.jpg
    Shot0002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Shot0003.jpg
    Shot0003.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Shot0004.jpg
    Shot0004.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 27
thx useless!

anyway those "bugs" can be ironed out quite easily, not exactly sure about the first one, It's tiny nonetheless, and not on a place where people come to often, so i will take a peek into the problem there but not going to work hours about it. other 2 is really no prob.

about the radar. Well i know i already tried to fix that one but untill now i never managed, Take a look at the radar while it is triggered, then you see it's flawed, and frankly, i don't see a real option to fix it. Cause the mover just turns around very slow. And goes into a steady (fixed) position once triggered, so when the radar is facing the other side on the moment of triggering it just looks weird! ;)

gameplay changes: more discussion plz. but personally i like to put the shockrifle on a bit of an place to work for (like desertstorm last part)

That's it so far. Busy week comin up and probably no time to work on it before tuesday!