The return of AS-Snowdunes...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
For weeks Pykenike and I have been working on redesigning and rebuilding Muttley and jwer's great map which never quite made it into the league. Complaints involving the difficulty of attacking the Low Grav Tower and the difficulty in defending the final ship held it back, but we've changed quite a few things to make the map more balanced, even beyond the changes Weirdo made after the original build(s). Pyke did all the unrealed work and I hunted for bugs, HOMs, bsps; and we both came up with alterations and tweaks to make the map's gameplay better and also iron out whatever problems we found.

Here is a list of the changes we've made (that I can remember):

BEFORE TOWER

Ammo boxes and weapons rearranged (couple of bugs removed)
Sniper rifle moved closer to spawn / waterfall rifle removed
New jump-pad (to sniper ledge) and button created beside belt platform - the hatch is triggerable (by attackers) 30 seconds after the map has started, and every 35 seconds from then on (35 second counter resets each time it is used, so it can't be constantly abused / spammed)
Platform which boots used to sit under removed
Boots moved to middle island of new pond (icy water deals damage)
Waterfall made to look less transparent
Small rock put in corner where pointless thigh pads used to be - this is to cover a HOM and help continuity
Ramp leading to Second button is now wider
Shock ammo and health pack placed at gun hatch to help Shipdock button defenders
Ledge with lamps placed above glass window wall of def spawn room - this is to cover an annoying invisible ceiling, allowing players to hammer-jump up without fail
Duplicate rocket-launcher and ammo removed from high corner platform (above def spawn room)
Rock placed against cliff above def spawn room windows - this is to enable defenders to dodge from the sniper ledge and land below without dying (can also use the water), and also to enable attackers to dodge down and pick up the rocket-launcher faster after they get the Cells
Sniper ledge enlarged
Thigh pads and various pickup changes in the def spawn room areas
New message added to the console to alert the attackers when they've reached the new spawn in the ammo room - this was a problem before because people had trouble knowing which of the four low buttons they had to press to get the new spawn (for the record the buttons are Radar, Shipdock Lasers and Tower)
12 second delay between Shipdock Lasers button being hit and lasers actually coming down
The lasers at the ammo room spawn are no longer removed with buttons - now the attackers have to trigger all three of the buttons which enable the new spawn instead, this is to make it easier for the defenders at the Tower Doors button

BETWEEN TOWER AND CELLS

Left jump-lift fixed in two ways (can no longer get stuck halfway up it by holding right and forward as you enter, can no longer reach the thigh pads through the top exit)
Right jump-lift floor texture fixed
Hole in middle ramp fixed
Cells made slightly tougher so they no longer fall with just one flak ball

AFTER CELLS

Ceiling raised to make high launches less likely to hit it
New sniper ledge above the attackers' exit doors, with lift in the middle - this can be used by attackers to cover teammates, or by camping defenders
Walls on right after jump-pad raised to prevent attackers hammering over and sneaking to the ship
Couple of ammo pack changes to favour the defense
Scary kraken now inhabiting the water (this water also does damage, though there is now a platform to allow players to escape rather than suicide)
Small wall placed in front of the ship - this may look odd but it's to deal with a very annoying invisible ceiling extending from the bow of the ship which couldn't be fixed any other way

Miscellaneous other minor changes to ammo packs, health, textures, etc.

Unless I've forgotten anything which should be in the above list, the other changes were all to remove bugs - minor and major - HOMs, bsp holes, invisible walls, etc. These kept popping up during countless of Pyke's rebuilds and we lost count of how many there were. We think most of them are gone, though we still know of one or two. Sick of rebuilding, Pyke has decided that unless they harm gameplay they can pretty much stay, much like Golgotha's or whatever.

We also know about the invisible ceiling directly above the entrance to the final ship, which can be hit by hammer-jumping upwards from underneath, and you can also walk onto it by walking along the ship's roof. But that ship was always been a nightmare, we know that, and Pyke can't fix it by putting a wall in front of it, obviously. Unless anyone has any idea how to fix it it will have to stay.

The point of this thread is to get people to download it, play it, fall in love with it again, and please make constructive comments about why you like / loathe it. We want it in the league and we think it's about ready - please let us know what you think and why. Thanks and credit to Pykenike for his many hours of toil and to Muttley and jwer who came up with the map in the first place :thumb: And of course Weirdo for his versions :)

====

>>>>> DOWNLOAD SECOND PRE-FINAL BUILD HERE <<<<<

This is the second version posted here so far - the HOM at the end is fixed in this one.

====

QUICK GUIDE TO SNOWDUNES OBJECTIVES

QUICK GUIDE TO SNOWDUNES ATTACK

QUICK GUIDE TO SNOWDUNES DEFENSE

====

SCREENS OF THE PRE-FINAL BUILD

Attachments

• Shot0013.jpg
    Shot0013.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Shot0012.jpg
    Shot0012.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Shot0014.jpg
    Shot0014.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Shot0015.jpg
    Shot0015.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Shot0016.jpg
    Shot0016.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Shot0017.jpg
    Shot0017.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Shot0018.jpg
    Shot0018.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Shot0019.jpg
    Shot0019.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I'd like to just point out, I merely tweaked the original which was by Mutts (with help from the likes of Jwer)...

I can't take any credit for the original design + concept, only the playability tweaks during the AL_preview phases.

this is to cover a HOM
fs I spent hours and hours fixing HOMs, why didn't I think of simply covering them up with rocks or barrels ?? :x

We also know about the invisible ceiling directly above the entrance to the final ship, which can be hit by hammer-jumping upwards from underneath, and you can also walk onto it by walking along the ship's roof. But that ship was always been a nightmare, we know that, and Pyke can't fix it by putting a wall in front of it, obviously. Unless anyone has any idea how to fix it it will have to stay.
There's a version floating around the DoG forums that is newer than the public _preview I made many moons ago; I will check out what was in that and try and make a change-list which will be useful to compare against the sterling work you chaps have done..

Might have a few useful bits in there; but I think primarily it was fixing things like the holey ramps (did a complete rebuild of that tower from scratch) and HOMs in the outside area.

/edit

Just realised how much of a mission making a changelist would be; might be worth just grabbing me on IRC for a copy of that build?

Last edited:
I'd like to just point out, I merely tweaked the original which was by Mutts (with help from the likes of Jwer)...

I can't take any credit for the original design + concept, only the playability tweaks.

fs I spent hours and hours fixing HOMs, why didn't I think of simply covering them up with semi's ?? :x

i did about 3704982304 builds.. ofcourse they are not "fixed" take a peek in ued for that ;). but they are at least not buggering there.. and the build looks solid to me anyway. i only found 1 hom now which i can fix in a final version

true about Muttley and Jwer, i asked useless to post the thread. as i needed to do lot's for school he must have forgotten that.. it's there idea indeed I will ask if he will edit the first post.

Last edited:

I can't take any credit for the original design + concept, only the playability tweaks during the AL_preview phases.

fs I spent hours and hours fixing HOMs, why didn't I think of simply covering them up with rocks or barrels ?? :x

There's a version floating around the DoG forums that is newer than the public _preview I made many moons ago; I will check out what was in that and try and make a change-list which will be useful to compare against the sterling work you chaps have done..

Might have a few useful bits in there; but I think primarily it was fixing things like the holey ramps (did a complete rebuild of that tower from scratch) and HOMs in the outside area.

/edit

Just realised how much of a mission making a changelist would be; might be worth just grabbing me on IRC for a copy of that build?

the ramps got holey every other build or so, i mainly fixed them to just changed the order... i think i can grab you on irc around next week or so. But i would like to see the build tbh. Maybe some things can be copied in the new build... i will contact you.. but for now I wait till the weekend cause i can't see any snowdunes for the next 3 days anymore :x

smant you twat...

For some reason I forgot to mention Muttley and jwer, even though I helped them playtest it when it first came out. Post edited, sorry fellers.

Thanks Weirdo, hope people start playing it :D

smant you twat...

For some reason I forgot to mention Muttley and jwer, even though I helped them playtest it when it first came out. Post edited, sorry fellers.

Thanks Weirdo, hope people start playing it :D

:p:

Yeah but nice changes I think, just remembered to play it now and I like what you two have done (er... one, forgot Useless still doesn't get credit :x) I think the wall by the ship is a bit ridiculous, and I found a pretty major hom I guess which you prolly already know about near the lift up to the sniper ledge

Yeah but nice changes I think, just remembered to play it now and I like what you two have done (er... one, forgot Useless still doesn't get credit :x) I think the wall by the ship is a bit ridiculous, and I found a pretty major hom I guess which you prolly already know about near the lift up to the sniper ledge

Yeah we found that obvious HOM just after this last build was completed, so it clearly has to come out because it would be the biggest left-in HOM in history otherwise. And yeah I agree, the new ship wall doesn look daft. I suggested another texture and a different shape, but it's something that's easily changed I think.

I found it first! I'm pro like that.

Otherwise an amazing map. I've always enjoyed Snowdunes for some reason. I think this would be worthy of a vote, maybe. ;)

great work guys, couldnt play it yet but deffo will this weekend. I have always been a fan of snowdunes, letz hope its good enough to get finally into league soon :D

Yeah we found that obvious HOM just after this last build was completed, so it clearly has to come out because it would be the biggest left-in HOM in history otherwise. And yeah I agree, the new ship wall doesn look daft. I suggested another texture and a different shape, but it's something that's easily changed I think.

Or instead of a wall make a bunch of barrells :P

GUIDE TO SNOWDUNES OBJECTIVES

This is to make things easier for people who are new to the league and have never played the map, and for all you older tits who can't be arsed learning the map by playing it, or even by pressing F3. Here is a quick walkthrough of the map and how it all works.

SCREEN 1 - RADAR

The attackers must hit this button in order to burst open the low, main doors of the building. The explosion also destroys the outer wall of the Ammo Room, which acts as a new spawn-room for the attackers once they manage to trigger it. The Radar button is therefore one of the three buttons the attackers should hit if they want that new spawn.

SCREEN 2 - SECOND LEVEL DOORS

This is the least important of the four buttons at the start of the map, since it has no effect on the new attack spawn. The only reason to hit this is to open the high doors into the base, making it easier for the attackers to reach the Ship Dock Lasers button inside, and making it harder for the defenders to stop them.

SCREEN 3 - SHIP DOCK LASERS

This is one the attackers definitely want to hit, and one the defenders want to keep. Not only does it serve as one of the three buttons necessary for the new attack spawn, it also (after a 12 second delay) permanently removes the lasers protecting the sniper ledge. This then allows launchers and jump-pad users to attack the Cells from outside, making things much tougher on the defense. Both teams should make this a priority objective.

SCREEN 4 - TOWER DOORS

This one opens the only entrance into the legendary low grav tower which leads up to the Energy Cells. It's doubly important for the defenders to protect this one, since, of the three buttons which open the new attack spawn, this will generally be the last one the attackers get.

SCREEN 5 - ENERGY CELLS (2)

Both of these purple cells must be destroyed to open the Fuel Depot. This gives both teams new spawn-areas (automatically suiciding any defenders still inside the low grav tower) and opens up the final area of the map. The cells have been made slightly tougher than they used to be, but each one will fall with 3 rockets or 2 flak-balls - nothing too tough to take down.

SCREEN 6 - SHIP

This is the final objective and the attackers must run into the rear of the ship in order to make it take off and win them the map. As in AsthenoAL, you must actually run inside the ship - just reaching the door isn't enough.

Attachments

• Shot0000.jpg
    Shot0000.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Shot0002.jpg
    Shot0002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Shot0003.jpg
    Shot0003.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Shot0004.jpg
    Shot0004.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 27
  • Shot0005.jpg
    Shot0005.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Shot0006.jpg
    Shot0006.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
GUIDE TO SNOWDUNES - ATTACK

This is to point out some things the attackers might like to know on their way to the final ship.

SCREEN 1:

On the left is the new jump-pad and the button which opens the hatch on the side. The attackers can first press this button approximately 30 seconds after the map begins, though they may have to hammer-jump up onto the platform if they're alone, The hatch will open very briefly and then snap shut again, so if you don't want to get trapped inside the jump-pad area you have to be quick about dropping onto the pad and letting it spring you up to the sniper ledge.

There is also the old belt platform with the ladder on the side - the belt can also be reached simply by dropping off the cliff above it.

And the newly enlarged pond with the jump-boots in the middle island - be careful of the water as it will damage you while you're in it.

SCREEN 2:

Unless the defence are stupid enough to bring their rocket-launcher outside, this is the only rocket-launcher the attackers will get for a while.

Above the tree you can vaguely see a new white rock - this is there purely for the purposes of letting people fall from the sniper ledge without dying. They could drop into the water but that's quite a way away from the rocket-launcher...

SCREEN 3:

This is the Ammo Room, which will open when the attackers hit the Radr button, but which will only become a new spawn area once they have hit Radar, Ship Dock Lasers and Tower Doors. Those lasers can no longer be removed by pressing nearby buttons - they will only disappear once the new spawn is triggered. This means that if the defence want those weapons and ammo inside, they'll have to wait for the attackers to hit the Radar button.

SCREEN 4:

This is the inside of the low grav tower. The low gravity will help the attackers jump and launch, and the defenders fall. The grav lifts will also help boost any player to the top in relative safety, though beware of spam at the top end. There may even be a way of using those lifts ultra-fast... Watch out for the spinning motor at the tower's ceiling - you'll die if you touch it.

Attachments

• Shot0007.jpg
    Shot0007.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Shot0008.jpg
    Shot0008.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Shot0010.jpg
    Shot0010.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Shot0013.jpg
    Shot0013.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 29
GUIDE TO SNOWDUNES - DEFENSE

This is to help the defenders get their bearings quicker, because there's nothing more off-putting than a def spawn tele-room.

SCREEN 1:

One half of the def's spawn-room. The defense will keep spawning in here until the attackers get the Cells, which can take quite long. So learn what each route does and you can defend better.

On the left is the doorway which leads to a ramp, which in turn leads up to the Ship Dock Lasers button. This ramp will be extremely popular with the defense unless they like having to fend off launchers as well as runners. There are thigh pads underneath the ramp to help the Ship Dock button deffers.

The left tele spits the defenders out inside the low grav tower, nearer the top than the bottom. It's the only route to use when defending the low grav tower.

The right tele takes the defenders outside to the start area, right next to a handy sniper rifle on a handier sniper ledge above the Second Level Doors button. This is the best tele to use to stop jump-pad users, attackers going for jump-boots, or even attackers trying to launch from anywhere around the whole area.

And the door on the right takes defenders directly into the room containing the Tower Doors button - important for when the attackers have hit the Radar and are running into the building.

SCREEN 2:

This is the other side of the def's spawn room.

The door on the left takes defenders outside and underneath the ramp - useful for non-sniping fraggers who want to jump into the action quickly.

The passageway on the right leads to a room with breakable windows, through which the defense can jump to reach the defense of the Radar button quickly. This route is also good for more weapons and a set of armour, none of which the attackers can get to, since lasers will cut them down if they try to jump through the windows.

Attachments

• Shot0011.jpg
    Shot0011.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Shot0012.jpg
    Shot0012.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 33