First impressions

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

imo thats bollox paa :p:

U take 2 ppl, equally as good in UT. Give one an avg 30fps and the other an avarage 100+ and stick em both in a full AS server.

As soon as there is heavy action the bloke with high FPS will have nps dancing about past ppl where as the other bloke would be juddering about all over the place.

High FPS= smooth movement, smooth movement= ability to play better/ have more of an impact.

thats assuming both have equal pings :)

lets face it, i (and everyone else here) could beat a guy with a gf4 whos just started to play UT using a voodoo fs or even fuck all and just using Software. u cant compare "some bloke who has a gf4" he has to be of equal ability imo.

Last edited:
Everything Gaz said is correct, speaking from experience. For me most maps used to be a slideshow, esp Astheno, D-Storm to name but a few. Hell I used to just run forward and die on those maps, but then I got a system that would run UT at 100 fps and then I suddenly was a little better on those maps and at UT in general....then >ION< left the league :rolleyes:

Originally posted by paa
i play gf2 mx 16 bit colour 800*600 and i can beta people with gf4's and all settings whacked up high as long as its above 30 i dun complain
Maybe your ping 30 has something to do with this :p:

Btw paa m8, you always enter the server the 1st or 2nd, so you have a fast pc, so, no offense but I dont really believe you are getting 15 fpss :eyeroll:
Even a TNT2 gives you a higher frame rate, and you use geforce2... :confused:

Totally agree @ Gaz and Apoc, of course.

Ok, flame me after this. In general, I think a ut player is 40% ping, 20% comp, 40% skill (teamplay, maps knowledge, experience, etc...)

This means, you have to work a lot on your SKILL if you have to compensate a crappy ping &/or comp.
And still, you will never reach the same level, coz in certain situations you have an obvious disadvantage.

Pisses me off a noob on T3 fraggin you with minigun. Then u spec him and.... omg his moves are crap! but he makes tons of frags soooo easily. Ping 30-50 :\
And they call it "skill".
"Hey, I still have to aim!!" :o
Sure, you aim... around the guy, make circles, your ping will do the rest.
The true skill is a guy able to guess your moves and forestall them.

lo apoc :D

Yeah i agree ping is everything, good pc is a major player and then the "skill" differentiates ppl who have both of the above (ping + pc)

I went from 56k to T3, the ping was so good on that it was unbelievable.

My UT "skill" jumped massively after a week or so of playing with that ping. Killing things was just piss easy and it was amazingly smooth, even though my pc wasnt the best at the time (TNT2, 128mb ram etc).

yeh agreed psy i load quick cause of mem i think ? not sure

and yes i do get those fps i have got better now i reduced details in ut ALOT and i dont care what people think about my ping as i have pld on 56 k for long time and got just as many kills and last week downloading ut2003 pld some ut had 500 ping adsl = cant download and play at same time

pld insta ctf was rampaging and sprees all night yes ping counts as u say and yes ping improves a player but i play only for fun now (dont play league) so i dont care =)

and if people moan at me about my ping well how about the 90% of the other league players with lower or similar pings ?

enough said

o and my ut settings now.....

16 bit medium world detail low actor detail 800*600

no decals no dynamic lighting no extra textures

fps range 35 to 50

better now =)

also matched desktop and ut bit both 16 bit now someone said that might help dunno ? maybe it has.

ur pc is fucked well and truly, id bin it :P or format it and start again :D

u would never in a million years be as good on 56k as on ADSL and i have as much experience on good and bad cons as most if not anyone.

and u can dl and play ut on dsl. @ optilan we had 5 ppl! yes 5 all playing online at the same time on 512k DSL. It wont be as good, but i fail to see how it gives u a 500 ping lol

we all had 100 ish pings most of the time, true it was a bit laggy at times, but when we reduced to it to 4 or 3 it was fine with decent pingage. I have pld on cable and downloaded stuff , thats the same speed as your dsl and it was defo playable and the ping was no where near 500!

so i have no idea wot u have done to ya comp lol :p: but it must be well shagged if u get wot u say u get fps wise. You tried some different drivers for ur gf2?

16 bit medium world detail low actor detail 800*600

no decals no dynamic lighting no extra textures

fps range 35 to 50

lol u get that on ur spec machine? i'd get rid of it m8 :teehee:

I used LOW textures for UT with my new machine and i get the same FPS as u, which in itself is wank (duron 1.1, 512 ram and GF2)

:/

the lag thing yes i did do it again to show u if u want fs.

and pc dunno HELP :(

for a long time i was using something 89 that neo sent me i switched to 23:11 other day and its much smoother and higher fps

actually prefer ut looking this bad i pld with 32 bit and stuff and dont like how everything looks lol

I have read through this thread. Sounds like people are talking about different leaks. I have seen 2 so thats not so strange.
For the last one Phear talks about Q3. I agree, feels like Q3 with a bit of Tribes 2 thrown in.
Bigger is better? Make the models larger than Q3 and the landscape nearly as large as Tribes 2.
Let me throw in a bit of Warcraft III as well. This one plays and feel like Warcraft I&II. Nothing new. And that is what I think of the latest "demo" as well. Just as Warcraft III nothing but tuned up graphics and sounds. Wonder where creativity is.

We have rtcw which is fun and does introduce addition aspects of online fps. Also Medal of Honor. Team deathmatch stands out for me. Large maps and you respawn close to teammats. Option is to stay with the crowd in a frontal assault or sneak around. They feel novel and innovative. And that was last year(?).

Time is passing by. Blizzard went 3D but did not introduce anything new in Warcraft III. I also play a lot of RTS. Game Cossacks is the best RTS so far. Normal army size (1600, 1700 cent armies) with typically 3000-4000 individually controlled units or units in formation. Warcraft III where you have something like 50 at the most? And still the hype. Creativity is not where the hype is. The good games are not where the hype is. Hype is based on passed victories. Players have to be conquered again, again and again.

Turns out that AS was mostly a marketing gimmick. Play assault on Overlord. Thats the story as I recall it. They never expoited that. Weird. Still CS, rtcw and mohaa with its teambased gameplay are in the mint. And rtcw did not even have dm. Now there are custom dm maps.

I am not surprised they announced a delay. I think they went for something they felt safe. Now they are not safe anymore. Whats their gimmick now apart from having previous success?

I have done apha testing for a rts game. Its nothing but playing an early demo. They can twist a few nobs here and there that really annoys the players. But thats about it. It's good news they delayed the game. It means they know they have a problem. Who knows. AS might still show up. With the amount of players it might not be very likely. Maybe they come up with something new.

Too me it looks like the really good games will not come from the established companies. They have grown fat, lazy and most of all scared.

CANNED, STEAMING, CRAP

I have been avoiding this for ages, as I thought my old GF2MX400 wouldnt show it off to it's best.

"testing" a GF4ti4400 before it goes to a client in a few days ;) so i finally gave it a shot.

First hour or so, I thought.. this is *horrible* you move so slow, the weapons are either 1-hit kill, or useless, the models are shit, and it feels *exactly* like Quake 3, fs

After an hour, I switched across to CTF from DM..

omfg, how shit is this game? I don't buy the "it's just a leaked beta" line: my problems are with the fundamental gameplay.

I seem to have a reasonably new leak, as a lot of the things people complain about in this thread aint there.. it has sound effects on headshots etc, and the skins for bots are there (just shit)

After five or six hours, the "wow" factor of the eye candy has worn off, and all that remains is the gameplay. Basically, this is a nice to look at, shit to play monstrosity.

My complaints:

1) Movement is "comedy". UT has almost realistic player movement, as people run, dodge, jump etc 2K3 seems to have some srange "bouncy" almost cartoon like movement. It's very like Q3, and was one of the main reasons I *stopped* playing Q3!!

2) Models are very highly detailed, but look like they are highly detailed "just because they can". the armour suit type things look chronically shit, and you get this weird effect of not being able to see anything more close up? It's hard to explain what i mean: it's almost like Doom all over again, where sprites dont get any more detailed as they get closer to you... in 2K3, the models don't *look* right as they move away and towards you...

3) Weapon balance is unbelievably shit. I found myself over and over thinking "huh"? as single flak shots coming off the wall would kill you from 180 health with the yelow shield thing at 50... if you are fully stacked on armour and health, how can a single bouncing flakshot kill you? this lightning gun thing is taking the piss. And the minigun?? in UT you can deal death pretty well with any weapon with a bit of skill. 2K3 gives me the impression that flak, mini and shock primary are the only weapons that are actually any good...

4) Maps.. well, here's the thing: are these super detailed maps (like December for instance) any good? peel away the eye candy factor, and you have a very cluttered deisgn, with lots of stuff to get "stuck on" when the server lags a little, lots of roughed up bumpy surfaces to stop flak bounce, or grenade bounce, etc.. I like the outside ones (especially tokara forest) but again, it's really just an eye candy thing. I dont think they add much, if anything to the gameplay.

5) General Skill levels... I think Thuringwethil nailed it spot on, this is a console port, I am *certain* we will see 2K3 on X-Box or PS2 or some shitty console box soon after PC release. With UT on a console, they don't share servers with us Keyboard+Mouse people because they wouldn't stand a fooking chance with their crappy little joypads. I get the real impression that Epic/DE have "de-skilled" the PC game by making it more console-like, to placate/ego-stroke the console masses.

I am now thinking seriously about whether FDC will move across to 2K3 at all. Basically it comes down to the modders. Seeing the Tac-Ops guys remodel the UT game so completely, with new weapons behaviours etc gives me some hope, but a good UTA mod for 2K3 will have to revise almost everything from the physics model, through player models, all the way through weapon models and behaviour.

Fundamentally, 2K3 is a n utterly SHIT game, and modders are going to have to re-write almost the entire fooking thing to end up with something halfway decent. UT is still being played, three years later. I don't see us playing 2k3 as it stands six months after release, never mind three years later.

Fundamentally, 2K3 is a n utterly SHIT game, and modders are going to have to re-write almost the entire fooking thing to end up with something halfway decent. UT is still being played, three years later. I don't see us playing 2k3 as it stands six months after release, never mind three years later.

depends on the majority...