Final Fantasy XIII

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Riv

TonTon
Oct 5, 2001
London
Got FF today!

btw i know its not out yet but do you need to know the storyline of the other God Of Wars to understand the new one?

and watched a few gameplay videos of it.. it just looks like you run around and smash monsters.. doesnt look too fun? or am i missing something?

edit: lol fuck it i aint got money for any more games :lol:

PS: FFXIII is awesome :D

I agree, except that im kinda like stuck in a boss fight at the end of the wood section (which name i forgot) where you have to fight this giant flower (chapter 5 or something I think :lol:)

that boss is a beast!!

calm down breen dont nerd the game to death.. supposedly 60 hours of gameplay, doesnt mean you have to play 60 hours straight!

I never played a single FF game (Shame on me , I know) Is the new FF worth getting as a total noob in the genre + story ?

Well the game is far from the greatness of the old final fantasies. The game is very newbie friendly though, I've played 3 hours so far and it feels like a tutorial taken too far... Way too easy.

+ Graphics
+ (a very!) Interesting story so far
+ Many interesting characters
+ Good ol' ATB system makes a return

- Linearity - The biggest minus so far. You have no control over dialogues, you can't effect the story in any way. Basically you just run from A to B with no alternative routes, watch a cutscene and repeat. You can't choose to complete a sidequest before progressing with the story. You can't choose the party leader which you control in battles, let alone choose who to include in your party. Hopefully some of this will change after I've progressed with the game a bit further.
- Difficulty - Way too easy, feels really dumbed down. Even the boss battles have been a joke but I'm looking forward to some challenging stuff according to breen's post :D
- Battles - Mostly great but sometimes with more enemies very chaotic. Only 1 controllable character in battle sucks too :(
- Rating system - Replaces the traditional experience gain system... Not really my cup of tea.
- Crystarium system - Resembles the sphere grid in final fantasy X. While it's very easy to learn, it's not too diverse and you can't choose too much what skills to learn...

Also, worth mentioning would be that the cutscenes are pretty long so somebody who plays serious sam constantly probably won't like this game since you have to follow the story to actually enjoy it. Final fantasies aren't really connected to each other in any way so if it doesn't matter if you haven't played the previous ones. Each game is a whole new story, universe, mechanics etc. Surely you see chocobos, moogles and somebody named Cid in each one of them but basically it's always a new adventure, completely different from the other installments.

Anyway looking forward to play it a lot more soon :D

By the way, bought ps3 today just to play this game (fanboy alert :uhh:). Looking forward to playing metal gear 4, tekken 6, megaman 9 and many more :D Suggestions welcome but only games that aren't coming to PC at least any time soon (I will always choose PC version if available) :)

Last edited:
calm down breen dont nerd the game to death.. supposedly 60 hours of gameplay, doesnt mean you have to play 60 hours straight!

:lol: what axl said ! Besides I havent even played this game yesterday.. too busy with other stuff thats more important than gaming :P

About the game.. well it's not at all necessary to have played any other final fantasy game before..every bit, from the menu's to the battle system is being explained through the beginning of the story in a fun way..

What i like about this game in comparison with other FF games is the new Paradigm system.. it really keeps the pace and speed in the battles. There's hardly any moment you have to wait before you can begin your attacks (except at the start, where battles are very easy :P).

Visuals are astonishing! Gameplay is great as always! Voicework is more than decent (except I hoped that a 19 year old girl, vanilla, would have had a little bit more mature voice than this.. She talks like she's 12 for christ sake.. but she's the best pixel character i've seen so far ;)). Where's the japanese audio though? Thought it would be in the Ps3 version?

What I didn't like is that at the start you know all the characters (except 1) and you don't really meet any new characters along the way.. (so i've heard). In FF IX you could at least meet some characters at later parts of the game, like Freya, Amarant and Eiko..

I like it, just need to do some leveling before I'm able to beat this giant flower boss I think! :lol:

By the way, bought ps3 today just to play this game (fanboy alert :uhh:). Looking forward to playing metal gear 4, tekken 6, megaman 9 and many more :D Suggestions welcome but only games that aren't coming to PC at least any time soon (I will always choose PC version if available) :)

If you're into jrpg's like Final Fantasy then I could recommend Star Ocean: the last hope
it isnt as great as FF of course (lower budget, awful english audio), but the battle system is just as addictive as FF XIII's one.
Other then that, deffinitly Heavy Rain!! Storywise one of the best games I've ever played! and some good replay value! Once you've got the platinum trophy it will be a dust gatherer though ;).. but that's at least 30 hours +
and uncharted 2 for sure best game from last year by FARRRR!!! :)

Let's add each other to ps3 and compare our ps3 trophies and help each other when stuck :lol: ;)

Last edited:
Read a few reviews about the game before it came out, alot of the reviewers said the same thing that it was linear UNTIL half way through the game. So just wait! losers!

I've played about 12 hours now and I have to take back some of my words. The game is still very linear but other than that it's bloody brilliant! The crystarium system works, choosing what classes to train to suit your playing style is cool. I'm used to the rating system now too. The story is very good and all the characters are interesting, contribute to the story and develop! Battles are very intense, especially boss fights! 1 controllable character is ok too because the battles are so fast paced you wouldn't be able to control 2/3 characters anyway and the AI knows very well which abilities to throw in. Difficulty has gone slightly up too, I've even had a few game overs because of picking wrong paradigm in panic, looking forward to even harder stuff though! Easily the best final fantasy since 9 (though that's not much, X+XII sucked bad...) All I want is a few optional side quests and mini-games later on! And if only we could effect the dialogues... Oh well, can't get everything :D

/me salutes square-enix! :mosher: after X+XII I thought I'd never play a decent final fantasy again. I was wrong! :)

After 12 hours? Then you're probably as far in the game as I am.. Where are you exactly? :D

I just met the first Chocobo's at Nautilus

Final Fantasy X, bad? You best be trollin :p:

The mushy story is debatable, it all depends on if you want to hold on to the Cloud Strife style of progagonist (doesn't say anything, shows no emotion, shows no character and is easy to imprint personality into yourself) because Tidus has his own -very present- personality, and once you lose touch with that, the game would imaginably become torture. However, the CTB battle system they used for X ought to be the benchmark for every single RPG out there - at least if you don't care for real-time combat like me. It made some of the boss battles more like a game of chess than spastically mashing heals on one character, and damage on the other two.

X-2 was... basement dweller material at best... even though the mechanics were interesting and *gasp* innovative for Final Fantasy standards. I still couldn't get more than 3 hours in though; a non Japanese male can only take so much of swapping skimpy outfits on an all-female cast to obtain different powers :lol:

Anyway, I'd love to play XIII but unfortunately I don't have a console near me right now ;D

Three things:

1. How the hell you do level up your character? and how can I check how many points I need before I level up. I dont see any exp points after battle.

2. What do I do with the component pieces that I get after some battles? Ive got loads but dno what to do with them :S in other JRPGs that I got, you can usually use them to make something, but havent seen nothing like that yet.

3. It also said that my crystarium "leveled" up for two of my characters, but when I check it still says Lvl 1 next to them. :S

Three things:

1. How the hell you do level up your character? and how can I check how many points I need before I level up. I dont see any exp points after battle.

2. What do I do with the component pieces that I get after some battles? Ive got loads but dno what to do with them :S in other JRPGs that I got, you can usually use them to make something, but havent seen nothing like that yet.

3. It also said that my crystarium "leveled" up for two of my characters, but when I check it still says Lvl 1 next to them. :S

not entirely sure on everything but i'll try to explain!

1. Leveling up happens when you reach a certain level in your crystarium. It's not bound per person but per job. You can become a level.2 Ravager after you finished some boss (dunno which) and get the max out of your crystarium after that fight.

2. The components are used for upgrading your weapons. Every component has a number of points that you can invest in your weapons. This happens later in the game (chapter 4 or 5 I think?). Your weapons are leveling as well as your role. All weapons are weak at start, it's up to you to choose in which weapon you'll invest.

3. Crystarium can level up, but that doesnt mean that your character's role leveled up.. It al lbecomes clearer when you reach later parts in the game riv. My advice: be patient ;)

Well these are always opinions but 1 thing that destroyed FFX and Tidus for me completely was terrible voice-acting (I probably wouldn't even have to mention the laughing scene...). The supporting cast was very weak, only interesting characters being Yuna and Auron. Also the cloister of trials-puzzles were really weird, just trial and error kinda stuff (at least I couldn't figure out a proper pattern). Expert sphere grid should have been mandatory since it was actually a bit more diverse than the dumbed down standard one. Blitzball wasn't too good, especially as you were supposed to play it for hours to get Wakka's best weapon (I personally never bothered).

However I agree the battles were great! And so was the music+gfx so it wasn't all that bad game. Just not on par with 4, 6, 7 or 9 for example. But again these are always opinions... If I recall correctly some magazines' readers voted it the best game ever so I'm pretty sure many people disagree with me :D

Three things:

1. Basically there are no levels, you get stat boosts through the crystarium (+3 str, +6 magic etc) which power up your character(s). After battles you get CP, crystarium points, which you use to advance in the crystarium. Chose carefully which class you wish to use the points for! (altho you won't have to be purely just 1 class). Currently I'm mainly leveling ravager and a bit synergist for Sazh and Sabotager/Medic for Vanille but it's all up to your playing style which ones to level. If you choose to go for magic-based class (sabotager, medic or synergist), boost the magic stat through equipment (weapons+accessory) as much as possible. For physical kinda stuff go for str obviously.

2. Breen pretty much summed this up.

3. When crystarium expands you get more stat boosts and abilities to get. If you went for purely ravager for Hope for example, you'd reach the end of that crystarium temporarily at some point until your crystarium expands and you can progress with the class again.

never mind paragraph four of chapter 9 is where you can make your own battle team ;)