AS-SnowDunesBeta

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

FS MUTLEY!!!!!11

I think I just crapped my pants.. the map is simply FC! All the elements of a great Assault map there: looks, launch possibilities, route options, weapon placement, weapon selection. The map requires a lot of teamwork and tactics and that's what Assault is all about. Can't wait to get to play this in the league ;)

I only wish there would've been more destroyable objectives but I don't doubt that the map will play great nonetheless. I would've also liked it to have a switch inside the first floor which disables the ammo room lasers, now you can only disable them from inside the ammo room which isn't quite logical even. It should be possible for the defense to disable them too so they should be toggleable lasers instead.

I'm also a bit worried on behalf of the people with crappier hardware since the beginning is very heavy and my 800mhz with geforce2mx went totally bollocks if I looked out from the base in the end near the final, I didn't need actually go outside the base just looking at the exit made my computer choke.

You probably noticed this already but I'll post it anyway. One of the beams is misplaced and something cuts away stuff from the beam near it:

snowdune1.jpg

That's the only major problem I found out. Slight annoyances are the funky aligned textures in the second floor:

snowdune2.jpg

Maybe you should make new textures which align properly or sumnuts.

Other than that, the map is just awesome. Great work m8.

Last edited:
Originally posted by {24}Useless
Why do the def auto-suicide after the Fuel Depot? Could be quite annoying if you're 1 away from Godlike or something - not very likely for me but still would piss some people off.
Muttley made that to make the defence get into position fast enough to stop the attackers getting the end objective, it also helps n00bs who play the map for the first time to show where they need to go when the fuel depot is reached... i do agree with you that if ur on a 1337 spree it might be pretty annoying so point well made and taken into consideration...
The tele halfway up the tower for the def - couldn't attackers just spawn camp this?
simple answer, no... if defenders are fast they can go through the teleporter with about 3 secs of spawnprotection left, which should be enough to get rid of any spammy nuisance...
In the attack spawn room after the Tower is opened, could you maybe make the attackers spawn a bit further back from the red lasers? People tend to just run forward as soon as they respawn and so most people will just run straight into the lasers and die instead of hitting the button :/ In servers without spawn prot anyway (I've been playing single player to test it :P )
that button only needs to be touched once, and i think that in 90% of the cases it will be done before that spawn is activated... if not then suiciding once will be enough for an attacker to realise he needs to push the button first in which case not much time is lost and it will most prolly not be a nuisance..
Could there maybe be some weapons right where the def respawn after the Fuel Depot? This is a crucial point of def and runing around for weapons is a bit crap when there are people running past you towards the final objective.
I have "no" idea what you are talkin about, right after the fuel depot is taken, defenders will either be upstairs, which means they have acces to 1) minni near the attack spawn 2) sniper at the laser fence 3) flack just inside the door 4) RL halveway through to the end ob low side and 5) shockrifle halveway through to the end ob on the high side... if they weren't high in the first place they will auto-suicide and spawn in the def spawn room with 3 weapons in it... hope that answers your question!? EDIT: forgot 6) big fat ass BIO rifle in there as well :P
Could someone get Useless to stfu? Says he loves the map but can't stop picking holes in it. He needs shooting.
thought i partially agree with the remark :fingers: your comments have made a fine FAQ report on this map and i bet many players questions have been answered by this, so needs more gratitude then shooting imo ;)

Originally posted by Kooma
I would've also liked it to have a switch inside the first floor which disables the ammo room lasers, now you can only disable them from inside the ammo room which isn't quite logical even. It should be possible for the defense to disable them too so they should be toggleable lasers instead.
The main reason that isn't done is because we didn't want defence to have an easy access to a sniper in that part of the map, but we did want the attack to have one later on...hope that answers your question...

fps are crap, fraid ur right... pff... tuff one to solve

besides that thnx for the misalligned texture thingy's, we hadn't noticed that but its not like it will dramatically impact gameplay and fixing it might cause other problems that do... we'll see what we can do.. not much mutts can't bodge solid with a few barrels :fingers: :rofl:

thnx for replying...

Last edited:
Bit strange there is a ammo room with no way to enter except when airsupport makes a big hole in the wall :lol: but I dont care, it doesnt have to be logical, just has to play right :)

and the fact that lasers arent visible is cool, coz if u could see a laser it wouldnt be a laser :p:

besides that thnx for the misalligned texture thingy's, we hadn't noticed that but its not like it will dramatically impact gameplay and fixing it might cause other problems that do... we'll see what we can do.. not much mutts can't bodge solid with a few barrels

The texture misalignment in the wall (marked with red) isn't that important but the texture in the ramp towards the wall (marked with blue) looks more like liquorice and doesn't just feel right.

snowdune2.jpg

I also found out that there's something which seems like a one unit misalignment in wall on the ramp up to the second floor.

snowdune3.jpg

But I'd be more worried about the misaligned beam in the second floor room and the bsp hole near it. With me atleast, simply moving that beam to its correct position created another bsp hole in the cylinder it's attached to.. so you've got a bit of job there.

If I were you guys, I'd remake the very end of the map so that there wouldn't be any open exit there at all but just a wall like everywhere else. The main reason why it should be changed is that there's something REALLY wrong with the gorge: there's the HOM, it chokes up completely when you go near the exit and if you drop down there and walk near the wall closer to the base just infront of the HOM, the collision system goes fuxor and doesn't know what to do.

As it is, imho the exit is now only decoration on the map and doesn't affect gameplay. The armour behind the wall can be moved to another location or taken away completely. Don't get me wrong tho, I think the exit adds to the overall appearance of the map but if taking it off and thus reducing polycount and gets rid of some problems then I think it's worth it.

like i said before, there's no reason to drop down or even look down in there, i don't understand why people do :p:

the only reason it's there is for the end sequence... we'll keep it in mind

Originally posted by jwer_NL
like i said before, there's no reason to drop down or even look down in there, i don't understand why people do :p:

the only reason it's there is for the end sequence... we'll keep it in mind

What you said there only gives all the more reason to get rid of it. If it serves no other purpose than to allow a certain camera angle for the end sequence then it should definitely be taken out.

The point is that you don't even have to go out of the base for it to cause problems. Just LOOKING at the exit from the ship makes my machine choke up like nobody's business! The HOM and the collision problem just indicate that the gorge is probably a source of many problems in the map.

Personally I don't understand YOUR obsession to keep it in there, I can just guess what your motives are. You haven't pointed out any valid reasons for it to be included in the map. Having a good performance is far more important than a fancy setting for the end sequence.

very nice map, nice play and route options, some textures are i little kinda flat or bland or repetative ...i carnt think of a word thats right to describe it varition would be nice .. but thats by no means knocking it , just a personal oppinion (i like a bit of eye candy)

going on the above post i can understand why you wanna keep things like that in its a touch and its your touch and your map, you have to ad that if you made it purly for match play and nothing else you would have the mopst bland and boring map ever :)

only real point is theres a alot of ammo and weapons around and v powerfull weapons at that..

good work tho lookin forward to the finished map :)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bluey
going on the above post i can understand why you wanna keep things like that in its a touch and its your touch and your map, you have to ad that if you made it purly for match play and nothing else you would have the mopst bland and boring map ever :)

I'm getting the feeling people are not reading any of the stuff I'm writing again because obviously you didn't get the point.

To make it painfully simple, the points why it should be taken out:

1. The gorge in the end serves no other purpose than being eye candy.
2. The gorge can't even be seen that much during a match.
3. The gorge can't be seen too much in the end sequence either.
4. The gorge has a HOM in it.
5. The gorge introduces a collision bug in it.
6. The gorge has useless objects in it which can't be seen in the end sequence: the trees.
7. Looking through the exit EVEN WHEN BEING INSIDE THE BASE chokes most low end machines completely.
8. It doesn't affect or give anything to gameplay.

The points why it should be kept:

1. It's a nice place for the end sequence.
2. It looks nice.

Don't know about you guys but seems to me that there's a lot more points why it should be taken away.

and theres a dip in the ground here seems to start from the edge of the box ...

reasonable fps as u can see, but when i look towards the base at start i get 20 fps :eek: big disadvantage for attack.... Dont want to comment on how it plays till 6v6 trial, but its nice to run through. and some v nice ideas

ownage map - really great !

2 things

- something in the lower base is fucked when the attackers get the fuel-room before they open the low-grav-tower (know no1 will be down there anymore but it is somehow contaminated with lasers or something... or is that what makes the defenders suicide? (mentioned before)
(oh okay realized that this happens everytime one opens the fuel-depot)

- there are some wallbugs in the lowgravtower at those 3 pipes/pillars in the 3 corners

and once again - superb map !

I'm getting the feeling people are not reading any of the stuff I'm writing because obviously you didn't get the point... i did get your point you just refused to see mine..

so ill make it painfully simple,

i like eyecandy i hate bland maps (siege is a prime example) its my oppinion

i think it addes to the map and i like it . infact i like most things that add to maps to make them stand out and interesting its my oppinion

i dont have a low end puter and mine doesnt chugg so i didnt get that problem

just because it doesnt add to game play doesnt mean it shouldnt be there, if as mappers people only added what was needed for game play you would have a load or boring maps..

the low spec puter is a reason but i dont know how bad it is

everything can be fixed ... the end of sqqara has a nasty poly count which was fixed by adding the rock tower in the middle of the water so as you look out you dont see it till the end ,, same as the bridge was fixed by adding a block in the middle so that it blocked out some polys

all id say is dont make maps that are purly functional make um with the little extras aswell that make the whole thing look smart and add the little touches of class .. dont make maps for purly game play coz its boring

:stupid:

Originally posted by jwer_NL
(though the siege looking down part was wrong as it is over 1000 i'm quite sure :P )

:p:

Attachments

• siege.jpg
    siege.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Nice map. :cool:

Some things I noticed:
1. I can finish the whole map without completing the Radar objective, maybe even some others (not sure). You gotta make sure you protect and force players to complete all (cause the briefing says you have to).
2. This tower could be VERY had to pass (even if it's kinda low grav). It seams bigger than the siege-one.

Attachments

• m_map1.jpg
    m_map1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 123
Bluey, I did get your point: you want the map to look good.

But you seem to overlook the importance of playability. I for one am all for pretty looking maps and I think this one is one of the prettiest one can find.

In this case, the end part is out right useless EVEN if you consider it being something fancy to look at because you'll see it about three milliseconds before you reach the final objective. To sacrifice the lower end machine's performance over something like that is just plain stupid. Period.

The map has more than enough detail for it to look perfect even without the gorge so one can't find ANY justification whatsoever for it to be there, no matter the perspective. You can hardly reason for it by saying: "I don't want the map to look dull", when it clearly doesn't contribute to the overall experience more than a few white polygons in the rare occasion you happen to get a climpse of it.

Look at it this way: would you pay for a Porsche when you know you would only get to see it for one day a year without even getting to drive it?

kooma, the main reason i ain't jumping in here yelling "sure we'll remove it" is because removing it will need rebuilding, and with every rebuild the map seems to go buggier and buggier, which is why i ain't promising noone any major rebuild... that's muttleys job to promise...

since i did the playability the only new remark here for me is Bluey's remark that there are MANY high performance weapons on the whole map... yeah you are right but i think the map can handle it in a beta and it's also a bit of a test to see what weapons should go where and what wouldn't... we might end up removing some in the end version but hey, a few weapons to choose from ain't all that bad if the map is open enough atm

for the other replies, thnx a lot and i'll bet muttley will see em soon :)

@ Rob, so i can't tell poly's and nodes from each other, shoot me :P (P.S i've always been told to look at the nodes...)

Last edited:
:eek: FC map :eek:

U can clearly see theres been lots of thinking gameplay wise on this map, cant wait to see how it plays online :thumb:

Attachments

• as-sd.jpg
    as-sd.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 113