AS-SnowDunesBeta

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Muttley

Sep 11, 2001
England
thnx proph for the web space and u/loading it :)

me and jwer have been working on this alot and think its pretty much complete but it needs feedback. Hope it doesnt run too bad on lower end machines :\

Just played it and it's fantastic. Nice Siege tower thing there :P Btw I dunno if you know or care but at the very end, looking over the cliff there is a HOM effect down at the bottom in the snow. Not exactly important - just thought I'd let you know. Congrats guys - hope it comes in the league soon :)

Amaaaazing :)

it has everything in it what i love about assault, launches, hammerjups, abit of low gravity will make it easier to make some ownage shock combo's :D

the weapons/health/armor/ammo layout is great

and the thing i dont like about assault is kept to a minimum(spam).

only thing i can see go wrong is the doors, i've only played it alone but i can imagine its pretty easy to camp at a door and go into the def spawnplace and take the teleports :\

The tri tower was the best part (im a lowG lover) :p:

Rather than pick out the good parts im going to pick out bad parts as it helps the most ;)

//Cons//

Firstly I found this map to be and fps killer, unless I was looking at the floor I was getting 400avg poly, and for a small map 7300 is bit steep. If you take a map like this then imagine 12 players fraging out with all kinds of weapons in a high poly area your going to be talking low frame rates even on decent machines (for the newbies looking off top of siege tower gives you 500-600 polys).

I also noticed you used alot of semi-solid brushes which I can guess is to get rid of hom, however there are other ways to prevent/get rid of hom and semis should mainly be used as a last resort. This is because semi's can slow down the game as the engine has to render 2 bsp trees rather than just 1).

I think my fave aspect of the whole map are the tree's :D I think a blocker in them would do nicely to stop my feeling like im in ghost mode ;)

//Tips//

As a mapper you have a problem which most mappers have, you find it hard to controll the detail level. You must remember a map is to be played not just looked at (unless your me). An easy cure is to section off parts of the map so poly counts are reduced. You may think there are no parts to be sectioned off, but you dont have physicaly chop your map up. Take for instance the end part of the map. If you rotated the full end of the map 90degrees so that you turn a corner rather than going straight on, it sections it up thus reducucing poly count / increasing frame rate.

-------------------------------------

p.s.
The map had a "ripped from cold steel" feel to it.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 432
Originally posted by Nanko
only thing i can see go wrong is the doors, i've only played it alone but i can imagine its pretty easy to camp at a door and go into the def spawnplace and take the teleports :\

every way into the spawn room is protected by the purple lasers, so np no way to get to the tele's :p:

@ rob...

tbh i'm afraid you're right about the poly / node ratio (though the siege looking down part was wrong as it is over 1000 i'm quite sure :P ) the max in playability is around 350 and the map goes over that at some points (prolly too many)...

the trouble is indeed the detail level next to the playability... there's a lot of tips in the reply of which some might be usefull to muttley and he'll give his own reply on that...

from my side, thnx for the good reply everyone sofar :)

I was playing it on my own - no bots and no opponents just for a run through and at the start especially, polys were hiiiiiiiigh and fps loooooooooow. I think for me, even in 800 x 640 res, 6 v 6 match would be unplayable, at least till someone opens up an indoor spawn for me :P

The ship at the end is very weird. Try hammer jumping on top of it from right at the front and you'll see what I mean. Seems to have dimensions that don't end at it's edges :)

One single hammer launch in that siege tower thing would probably kill off that whole section :/

The lasers that stop the attackers from entering the def spawn places - are they meant to be invisible? They only appear after I run through what I thought was a corridor opening and get my head chopped off. Until they killed me I couldn't see em.

Can you change the ladders so you can get onto them from one side instead of just straight in front? I spent ages trying to get onto the first one.

And there are a few weird HOMs and misaligned textures, especially at the end section, but you knew that already :P

Btw can you tell me what the switch on the level above the Tower Door switch does please? I haven't a clue but I hit it anyway.

I'm not moaning about the map - just pointing out things that might affect it in a bad way for other people. I love this map personally :D

Originally posted by {24}Useless
I was playing it on my own - no bots and no opponents just for a run through and at the start especially, polys were hiiiiiiiigh and fps loooooooooow. I think for me, even in 800 x 640 res, 6 v 6 match would be unplayable, at least till someone opens up an indoor spawn for me :P
yeah it's a problem we'll discuss
The ship at the end is very weird. Try hammer jumping on top of it from right at the front and you'll see what I mean. Seems to have dimensions that don't end at it's edges :)
that's an unknown thing, the collision on it can be a little dodgy here and there but not in the proportions you're talking about...
One single hammer launch in that siege tower thing would probably kill off that whole section :/
having played that section a few times leads me to believe that one hammer will get you up but it needs skill and its really easy to defend with shock and sniper available for def... it will not kill that part trust me, it'll make it more interesting...
The lasers that stop the attackers from entering the def spawn places - are they meant to be invisible? They only appear after I run through what I thought was a corridor opening and get my head chopped off. Until they killed me I couldn't see em.
They are ment to be invisable, though you can see they are there because there are tiny boxes on the side... there's not too many of them and they are very logically placed if you know the map at all, people will know them after 1/2 times play and they won't be a problem anymore...
Originally posted by {24}Useless Can you change the ladders so you can get onto them from one side instead of just straight in front? I spent ages trying to get onto the first one.
The collision on the ladders is a known problem... as i have understood from muttley it consist of a ladder texture with an invisable "staircase" in front of them, there's basically not much he can do about it i think except remove them which would be a shame imo... tbh after playing the map a few times i never hit it from the side anymore and got every time... seems to get better every time you play the map...
Originally posted by {24}Useless And there are a few weird HOMs and misaligned textures, especially at the end section, but you knew that already :P
as far as we know, the only hom left is the one looking down into the pit at the end... there's no reason for anyone to be there let alone look down, the only reason the part is there is because of the end sequence... should not be a problem at all
Originally posted by {24}Useless Btw can you tell me what the switch on the level above the Tower Door switch does please? I haven't a clue but I hit it anyway.
When the map starts you cannot launch high because it is protected by a laserfield (another invisable purple one :P) fly up there and see for yourself... the switch high disables that laser field so the launch becomes possible...
Originally posted by {24}Useless I'm not moaning about the map - just pointing out things that might affect it in a bad way for other people. I love this map personally :D
any of these remarks are helpfull for us makin the map better and are never considered moaning, thnx a lot for the feedback and checkin out the map

hope i answered your questions satisfactory...

Last edited:
Yep cheers m8. Couple of things though:

A rocket launch or even hammer launch is possible from the last big pit at the end. Imagine somehow if 2 or 3 attackers got down there somehow, maybe by being launched from the start of the valley. So it is an area of play if you want to launch from there. Kind of like the backlaunch in Golg.

There are more HOMs and weird graphic effects if you go to the top of one of those pillar things that surround the whole of the last area. And since it's possible to get up there, this is another area of play affected :\

When I saw that sniper spot I thought (obviously) that it could be launched to. But then I saw the lasers and thought bugger - no launch. Now if you're saying a launch is possible to there, don't you think it's a bit of a huge launch, in terms of how much of the map it closes down? I realise it's defendable etc, but any sniper looking down off that spot is going to have fps probs and if a launch is successful, the map is cut in half, assuming they get the energy pod things. I've only played the map on the attack side so I dunno how deffable or attackable that launch is, but I hope it doesn't spoil the map by being there just for the sake of having a launch at the start.

Why are the lasers invisible?

A rocket launch or even hammer launch is possible from the last big pit at the end. Imagine somehow if 2 or 3 attackers got down there somehow, maybe by being launched from the start of the valley. So it is an area of play if you want to launch from there.

Oops forgot to mention that a launch from there will land you right at the ship, making it a pretty useful launch. Attackers just have to sneak past either by launching overhead or just.....sneaking. I know you think this would be daft because if they're passing then why not just go for the ship instead of messing about in the pit below, but the launch from there would be so useful and hidden and hard to def.

Yep cheers m8. Couple of things though:

A rocket launch or even hammer launch is possible from the last big pit at the end. Imagine somehow if 2 or 3 attackers got down there somehow, maybe by being launched from the start of the valley. So it is an area of play if you want to launch from there. Kind of like the backlaunch in Golg.
tbh that part is a remnant of an earlier version where it WAS possible to launch in the back, that idea was abandoned for several reasons, the biggest that it would make that part even more horrible to defend as it is allready really hard now.... i don't think it'll be possible or at least a serious option now that attackers would come there unseen and launch up, as it's 10 times easier to just double hammer at the rock right outside the attack spawn and blast someone towards the end ob :P the objective is too easy for the attack to need such daft attack methods...
There are more HOMs and weird graphic effects if you go to the top of one of those pillar things that surround the whole of the last area. And since it's possible to get up there, this is another area of play affected :\
i could show you HOM's and bsp holes on league maps which you prolly don't know about.. why? because you have never gotten there... i believe this is another place where it's highly unlikely for a player to be consistently throughout gameplay and therefore for the HOM to have any effect on gameplay... if you fly up from the very first attackers spawn you'll get more homs looking down but i don't see those to be a problem...
When I saw that sniper spot I thought (obviously) that it could be launched to. But then I saw the lasers and thought bugger - no launch. Now if you're saying a launch is possible to there, don't you think it's a bit of a huge launch, in terms of how much of the map it closes down? I realise it's defendable etc, but any sniper looking down off that spot is going to have fps probs and if a launch is successful, the map is cut in half, assuming they get the energy pod things. I've only played the map on the attack side so I dunno how deffable or attackable that launch is, but I hope it doesn't spoil the map by being there just for the sake of having a launch at the start.
have you seen the position of the nearest rocketlauncher from the second assault spawn? how big the launch is has been taken in consideration and therefor it's not THAT easy to get a RL in yer hands.... besides that a defender will have a sniper and you'll find fps to be a lot more reasonable when you zoom in... (at least i do)... yes the launch is big but is it any bigger then getting the final assault entrance in bridge within 20 secs?
Why are the lasers invisible?
no idea :) prolly with a bit of fps in mind and because mutts wanted to surprise lame wanka's that wanted to sneak into the def spawn :P

edit: another reason for them being invisable is because the defenders can walk through them and would be scared to if they saw them.... it would also look unlogical for a defender to walk through a laserfield an attacker can't walk through

Last edited:
another reason for them being invisable is because the defenders can walk through them and would be scared to if they saw them.... it would also look unlogical for a defender to walk through a laserfield an attacker can't walk through

Good point ;)

i could show you HOM's and bsp holes on league maps which you prolly don't know about..

Can't wait Jwer :P

it's not THAT easy to get a RL in yer hands....

I saw the rox there and so I thought that the launch would have to be hammer. Is hammer-launch possible to there? I dunno cos I only played 1 on 1 so far.

this is another place where it's highly unlikely for a player to be consistently throughout gameplay

If someone was hammer launched up there it's possible for them to dodge all the way to the very end along the top (erm if they want) Sounds daft but it's something that might occur quite a lot in matches if it turns out to work well and people don't spot them.

Oh btw wtf is the Radar button for? I know I should press F3 but I never liked that key since I accidentally spilled tea all over that corner of the keyboard :mad:

Hall Of Mirrors. When you see one of those graphic bugs that look like lots of broken glass.

Just realised what the Radar button does so forget that.

Why do the def auto-suicide after the Fuel Depot? Could be quite annoying if you're 1 away from Godlike or something - not very likely for me but still would piss some people off.

The tele halfway up the tower for the def - couldn't attackers just spawn camp this?

In the attack spawn room after the Tower is opened, could you maybe make the attackers spawn a bit further back from the red lasers? People tend to just run forward as soon as they respawn and so most people will just run straight into the lasers and die instead of hitting the button :/ In servers without spawn prot anyway (I've been playing single player to test it :P )

Could there maybe be some weapons right where the def respawn after the Fuel Depot? This is a crucial point of def and runing around for weapons is a bit crap when there are people running past you towards the final objective.

Could someone get Useless to stfu? Says he loves the map but can't stop picking holes in it. He needs shooting.