AS-DawnRaidbeta

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

i could host a server, all we need is a few players

meanwhile i'll run through desolate and give you feedback... soon...

I played Desolate a bit with bots and I think it's great, especially the end which looks fantastic and would be great online. But one thing that bugged me about the map nearer the middle was the huge length of tunnels and corridors I had to run along, most of which looked basically the same. Maybe break that area up with rooms or just get rid of a few tunnels? I loved the fan room idea though. And on def I have no sense of direction so I'm always confused as hell when I respawn and don't know where I should be running to defend in that map :S But I thought on the whole it's better than a few of the maps that are in the league atm. Hope you keep writing em :D

soon huh? :P

it's pretty obvious what's wrong with desolate :)

i could host a server and point out where the problems are, we could play some 1v1 and find out ourselves as well

in general:

most area's are too large, and too dull... corridors are completely flat and long, no cover and some are very cramped...

the spawnpoints are too far from most objectives, it sometimes looks like the defence has two teleport choices, close to attack spawn and close to objective..

it's pretty easy to make this map better though, the main thing to do is point out the area's where players fight, and see how that area looks... is there difference in elevation, how's the weapon lay-out (weapons seems really good sofar), if the defender get's killed, how much chance does he/she have to get the attacker again.. if the attacker get's killed, how much time does the defender has to recharge armor, health and ammo...

it seems to me, when the attacker get's killed he needs to run very far usually and the def has even time to suicide and get back in position with new weapons before the attacker shows up... you need to be more specific with the fighting area's and make those specific area's more interesting...

we need to go on a server :) get me on ICQ and i'll show more specific (and you can show me how to play the map properly, big ass bitch of a map)

P.S. very much the same counts for dawnraid

Last edited:
lol looked at it again, it's very easy to make it much better imo

the funny part seems that the places that look best to fight in are rooms you run through and the places where you actually fight are the crappy rooms :)

edit: talkin about desolate

Last edited:
I dont have ICQ atm as it doesnt want to work over our wireless LAN but ive ordered windows XP which hopefully will fix it, meanwhile i can go on irc at a certain time if u want, first I'll have to d/l desolate again as i changed it and saved it under the same name, while a bit drunk :dunce:

The things you are saying make alot of sense tho, eg. in dawn which the start area is probably the most blatant example of what your saying, its a huge area to run through but the def doesnt really need to enter it or fight there :\ So if i move objectives around abit and restructure some of the rooms and corridors it should flow alot better, i see what your saying. Spawn points could also be used alot better in desolate to move the areas of fighting again good point. Areas like in mazon inside are what i should be aiming at with nice architecture to make the room look intersting but not full.

I just ported over mazon to ut2k3 btw to learn how to port maps. It plays pretty well, so imo the Roar project is looking alot more promising than i expected with the new ut2k3 gameplay. U can still hammer to all the same places u just have to use that double jump aswell ;)

I'll join u on a irc room at a time u can decide, chrs for this mate its much appreciated :)

yes mate i have msn richardc1981, i have added a jwer to my list whether its you or not i have no idea bah.

also im on the irc room now but your eating i think, if i dont speak to you tonight I'll be on tomorrow evening :)

wow nice job Muttley, a REALLY good looking map. Wont say much about the gameplay tho, was fun with bots, seems to have a few choke-points for attacers, but anyway, I liked it. And it looks really damn good.

Only that music sux :P (Credits of that tune are not entirely to me; guitars are played by Tero "Teque" Kostermaa)

Why not use some other tune? That one was already "stolen" to CTF-gateways. I can provide a tune called "Tetsuo Crashing", which would IMO fit to that map good too. If you like that demoscene-groove, that is. :) Think about it, m8.

w00t yes pls mate, u wrote the tune n1 i would of credited it to you but i had no idea who wrote it, i got it from unrealrocks, i think someone mentioned in the thread it was u, superb tune tho :)

I'd love to hear Tetsuo crashing if u have it for d/l, if u reckon it would suit the level more. I'm gonna do some major re-development to the map soon, after i fix as-desolate up a bit and get them both to have 'much' better gameplay :)

my email is [email protected] if u want to send it so it doesnt get nicked ;)

fao jwer, happy anyone whose interested

so far ive on desolate][ i have done the following:

more pillars for slidey corridors;
reangled the cliff face for launches +moved rock;
lift jump to fan ledge now works, but u need to praccy it,
made all the doors for the outside and set them up,
moved spawn points about, + 2 new ones for attack,
changed the generator room so u can get back up and for getting increased speed jumping off i added two more fans which suck u in and kill u if u use the downward current too long;
added more jumpy bits for more z-axis in rooms and hallways;
given attack more protection + 1 new route into old spam point,
changed generator room exit so attack has smoke cover and curvey pillars;
pipes run alongside the bridge for alternate route,
lined up all the brushes and cut away a few of them to make em tidier.

I've still got to add more sexy lights and improve some of the rooms tho but it is coming along nicely ;) I'll u/l a beta tomorrow providing there arent too many bsp holes.

err...
cru?
rn't u a TA anymore?
it shud b:
A good map needs a good trancey track :p:

Download anywhere for desolate][, or is it not being released yet + i think a trance track would be more appropriate than techno.

Energy 52
Cafe Del Mar ... Pwns j00 :p:

not released yet, the wanka needs to get his hands out of his trousers and on the keyboard...

/me waits impatiently :D

never heard them...
u shud post sum of yer best in Shitchat forums.....
THEN, sum of the ppl who like u'r productions wud suggest yer songs 2 b in a map or summin...

[edit starts]u produce Electronic, Ambient and Industrial, ehy?
mayb i shud have a listen...[/edit stops]

Last edited:
soz the beta was delayed as i had no electricity the whole of yesterday bah a tree fell on the lines, a big bastard tree fell down at the end of our road too and some of the tiles are missing from our house........I love english weather :)

Last edited: