The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Unseen said:
u really find it fun to drive around in piss slow tanks, that can kill millions of players, but cant take out one plasma turret? imho the map is one of the worst coz of that... (not to mention the ion turret, wtf were they thinking of?)

things like this really confuse me in the game.. i mean whats the point of a loneley player running around on say tundra, when that ion tank can take out the whole opposing team in one shot...

also mothership... man is that beggining shit... theres no actual way to efficiently "dodge" missiles or shots, its just fly on and kill ppl, and dream of reaching ur goal :x

Well I don't know if RobotFactory will be fun in the long run, but yeah, I've had fun with it so far. The main job of the slow tanks is to take out the plasma turrets and ion turret as fast as possible. Offense gets two tanks to pound with, and if you've got gunners in the tanks, you can take down the turrets pretty fast. A single tank with no gunner does take a long time though and will die a lot. It helps too if the people on foot shoot the turrets. On the other side, it's pretty fun to man the huge ion turret. It fires real slow and is a little hard to aim, but you can get some big kills if you put your shots in the right place at the right time. What don't you like about the ion turret? I think adds fun for both sides. I'm starting to think RobotFactory might be the best Assault map out of the box. The objectives are spaced just about right, there aren't a lot of spam spots, and the paths between objectives are wide, giving you a lot of route variations. I have seen teams stuck at the ion turret section, but it's because they don't focus their firepower on it and just let it keep raping them. Also they bunch up their tanks and let the ion turret hit them both with one shot. The ion turret's got tons of armor, but it's a sitting duck.

Mothership I like less and less. The spaceships seem like a gimmick that ends up not being fun. You can't stop the spaceships, so it's hard to maneuver inside the mothership tunnels. Then once fighting inside, the objectives just don't seem to play well. The graphics are too busy and the objectives just seem randomly placed. It seems to result in a lot of chaotic rather than organized battles, and feels too deathmatchy. Maybe people will take this map out of their rotations since I haven't seen many people saying they like it.

After playing Glacier a little more, it's kind of in the middle. The thing that hurts it is there's just one ion tank, so the whole team is screwed if the driver isn't that good. And there's really just one unprotected path for the ion tank, so defense gets to rape it too easily. In Junkyard you also have a single vehicle, but it works better on that map because the Hellbender can carry two gunners and defense doesn't constantly have a clear shot at it, and you can drive on different routes. A lot of people don't know Junkyard that well yet, so you see drivers that don't know where they're going, but then I was in a game last night that was really competitive, so people are starting to figure out a few things about the map. Too soon to say if it's balanced or not. It seems like defense sometimes spawns right where you need to take the Hellbender, so you can't slowly take out defense in a strong advance attack, since they'll just immediately respawn there, so at times you just have to make a break for it with full speed and a hail of bullets.

The foot soldiers are very important in these assault maps with vehicles. You won't get far in Junkyard if the guys on foot aren't lowering the bridge and opening the gate, and taking out the turrets and defenders. In Glacier your Ion tank will die quickly if the lonely foot soldiers don't distract the defense.

speden

thats great, my "aluminium limited edition UT2K4 tin" is a cardboard box with a bit of metal wrapped around it, they havent even bothered about the bottom, the top, the back, and its not really a tin considering u cant open it as such...

and who the fuck made robot factory? what a fuckin dumbass, the mapper has no idea of how to fairly balance a map... u cant give 1 team, 2 tanks and the other team 8 autos that kill sum1 first time, and destroy a tank in like 8 shots, then stick a massive autocannon at the back... wtf was epic thinking...

NOS said:
and who the fuck made robot factory? what a fuckin dumbass, the mapper has no idea of how to fairly balance a map... u cant give 1 team, 2 tanks and the other team 8 autos that kill sum1 first time, and destroy a tank in like 8 shots, then stick a massive autocannon at the back... wtf was epic thinking...

I think there are only six link turrets in the map, not eight.

I'm not sure it's all that unbalanced. The tanks can get some cover at the start from pillars and those big boxes, and you can have three foot soldiers linking up to each tank to keep it healed. On the other side, the defense can also link to the link turrets, but I still think the tanks have the edge. The turrets are spread out and can be taken down one or two at a time. They fire slow, so aren't that good against far away targets, especially guys on foot. The foot soldiers get some pretty good weaps too, with flak, RL, etc all available. All you need is one guy to slip in for the satelite objective and the front turrets are out of the picture.

The big ion turret isn't an autocannon. Someone needs to man it for it to do anything, and so far a lot of people haven't figured out how to even get into it. You need to use the jumpads up to it, then press use at the base of the ladder.

Besides, with the new scoring system, it's not like you have to complete all the objectives to win. Just take more objectives faster than the other team. If they can stop you at the ion turret part, then probably you can stop them there too.

speden

speden said:
I think there are only six link turrets in the map, not eight.

I'm not sure it's all that unbalanced. The tanks can get some cover at the start from pillars and those big boxes, and you can have three foot soldiers linking up to each tank to keep it healed. On the other side, the defense can also link to the link turrets, but I still think the tanks have the edge. The turrets are spread out and can be taken down one or two at a time. They fire slow, so aren't that good against far away targets, especially guys on foot. The foot soldiers get some pretty good weaps too, with flak, RL, etc all available. All you need is one guy to slip in for the satelite objective and the front turrets are out of the picture.

The big ion turret isn't an autocannon. Someone needs to man it for it to do anything, and so far a lot of people haven't figured out how to even get into it. You need to use the jumpads up to it, then press use at the base of the ladder.

Besides, with the new scoring system, it's not like you have to complete all the objectives to win. Just take more objectives faster than the other team. If they can stop you at the ion turret part, then probably you can stop them there too.

speden

I just made a guess about the turrets but i still think its uneven

I know the big cannon at the back is man-used but i just put it with the autocannon category cuz it makes the map even more one sided

And its not that id hate playing it online and ppl wouldnt figure it out, its on the single player, the bots know how to do it and almost allways hit me when theyre on foot with sniper/shock and they always fire around corners and stuff to kill me... the kinda stuff that a person could ONLY do thru a bot/radar/luck/spam kinda thing

The bots hold me for like 9 1/2 mins, then i hold them for like 9 mins 26 secs, and i lose... 20 mins of my life wasted on this stupid map... :(

Well on demo u had to put all details lowish I think

The retail runs smoothly when it does run, but it sometimes stutters or loads at the beginning of a map.
Loading times in general are quite high on my system :\

Maybe just me.

NOS said:
I know the big cannon at the back is man-used but i just put it with the autocannon category cuz it makes the map even more one sided

The bots hold me for like 9 1/2 mins, then i hold them for like 9 mins 26 secs, and i lose... 20 mins of my life wasted on this stupid map... :(

Hehe, I was just in game where I grabbed the big ion turret, and some guy was begging me to let him have a turn. I was mauling the tanks big time so was reluctant to give it up. Meanwhile some clown snuck in and blew the door right under our noses. :)

Eh, yeah, the bots suck. They fire too accurate, never link up, and just don't play much like humans. They should have worked more on the AI. It plays a lot better against peeps.

Man, AS-Junkyard just gets better the more I play it. My ranking keeps changing, but I'd put it like this now:

1. AS-Junkyard - very deep map in terms of possible strategies
2. AS-RobotFactory - not far behind, but not quite as many grins as Junkyard
3. AS-FallenCity - I don't know why, but the fragfests on this one are really fun
4. AS-Convoy - yeah spammy and linear, but actually not a bad change of pace after playing the others
5. AS-Glacier - it's starting to grow on me, just a little, but gameplay isn't that great
6. AS-Mothershit - Somebody please bury this abortion

speden

Doc_EDo said:
What's the performance drop from the demo to retail?

Drop???

I'm running around with 120-130 fps on some maps like Rankin, Albatross, Morphoeus3 and FaceClassic and on others like (last DDOM map - can't remember name) and Grendelkeep with about 60-80 fps.

That's with everything on highest (announcer says Holy Shit!) and 1280*1024.

When they said they tweaked the engine's performance and improved the fps since the demo they weren't kidding.

Still only played AS but fps in that are wank....3.0 ghz amd, 1 gig ddr, rad9800xt 256mb and fps of 30-50 max with details set to high....becomes bordering on unplayable in real spammy situations (oh yeah, that would be most of the time then :P )

That said, it's entertaining enough atm while its new but i can see AS getting boring fast unless we get some better new maps.... The balance in most of these is atrocious at best, and although I dont want '99 AS, I do want the principle of Assaut to be present in 2k4 - and that means actually being able to finish maps sometime the same day you start playing it :P

First impressions at least...

gringo said:
Still only played AS but fps in that are wank....3.0 ghz amd, 1 gig ddr, rad9800xt 256mb and fps of 30-50 max with details set to high....becomes bordering on unplayable in real spammy situations

I have a similar system and am getting 80fps dropping to 50 in huge spam fests...check ur settings

i have everything to high in 1280x1024