why are there captains in pugs?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Cry-Bomb, most of the pugs are good and with captains give tactics atleast from my experiance, and no its not a pickup group its a pickup GAME

Usually the pugs are good imo.

The only thing that is really annoying in #utapug is when "certain" ppl didn´t sign up fast enough and therefore reset the pug which sometimes end up with the bot beeing messed up.

Seriously, ban the resetting fuckers for a few weeks or something.
Same goes for copy/edit the "change letter pugbot message" imo.

Problem is TuT, it's hard to enforce. Some people sign then the pug is reset for increasing the player limit. The players AFK then find they have lost thier place and feel they should have a spot.

People shouldn't really go afk during pug signups but we all know it takes some time for pug's to start on occasions. I know some people do however abuse it the way you mean, but any banning will make people assume some sort of favouritsm banning.

what's so fucking hard to read "High" or "Low"?

Well, i'm such a mysterious guy who dont wanna use voice communication.

Why? Well easy to understand: 8 out of 10 cases voice com aint helping, it is even disturbing.
Whether one singing retarded songs, talking bullshit about his reallife or screaming with 120 dB everytime he sees a launcher.
Some are talking to silent others way too loud and ontop of that there are people with echo.

No man, voice com sucks. :P
Binds are silent, easy to understand and fast.

Oh and dont come with the tacs: There is a nice tool called tactics viewer.

edit: oh yes i know that it's difficult / impossible to use them in pugs :P

Altho I agree that XB's expectations of PUGs are too high - I disagree here.

what's so fucking hard to read "High" or "Low"?
It is not hard. Apart from the fact that binds are often lagged because of other msg's in the console, HIGH/LOW are also vague descriptions. Say Siege, u see a middle tower launch and u spam 'incoming high'. The guy's on roof have so far stopped 3 dark launches. When u spam high they might anticipate the next launch to be a darklaunch aswell. So their aims might be more the right. How much easier would it be for them if you would use voice comms and say 'middle tower launch' ?

Why? Well easy to understand: 8 out of 10 cases voice com aint helping, it is even disturbing.
Whether one singing retarded songs, talking bullshit about his reallife or screaming with 120 dB everytime he sees a launcher.
Some are talking to silent others way too loud and ontop of that there are people with echo.

No man, voice com sucks. :P
8/10 cases voice com aint helping? U must've not played with ppl who actually wanted to win then. Most matches I've personally lost were due to playing with ppl who don't use a mic/'broke' their mic / ts / vent.
'Singing retarded songs, talking bs about his reallife or screaming with 120 dB everytime he sees a launcher. Some are talking to silent others way too loud and ontop of that there are people with echo. '
This all sounds to me like someone who'se having trouble thinking of excuses to not use voice comms. Singing retarded songs? Very easy to fix; tell the person to stop singing. Screaming? Oh noes, someone raised his voice in the heat of a match :rolleyes: And in Ventrilo u can set individual volumes per user. Ppl with echo is quite annoying, most ppl have got some kind of wrong setting tho which can be fixed in a blink.

Binds are silent, easy to understand and fast.
Binds are silent - and the benefit about that is ?
Easy to understand - oh yes they are easy, and extremely vague aswell
Fast - yes, most of the time they are. If u want to get other defenders' attention tho u might have to spam them about 3 times. What happens if 2 or more ppl want to use binds at the same time? :rolleyes:

Oh and dont come with the tacs: There is a nice tool called tactics viewer.

edit: oh yes i know that it's difficult / impossible to use them in pugs :P
Good edit.

I prolly sound like I'm too serious about it too, but in any given game - any topclan will agree that voicecomms are the way to go. And besides from it being alot better for the result it is alot more fun to actually speak to ppl rather than typing.

Pugs are actually more fun then public, to summarise my post what i am complaining about is that 1-2 noobs can waste an entire 1 hour (from signup to the end of the game) for people cause they cant play the game (cause they are dumb/bad at the game). And if it isnt bad players its people that dont communicate or listen. As i said for ME pug is a step up from public, and that comes from picking your team and giving them tactics, if people cant do that, why dont they just go to a public server. What can be done about this? nothing, this is why i called it a rant. And yes stop the copy+paste crap on irc tricking people to signup under a different letter, and stop the resets

Problem is TuT, it's hard to enforce. Some people sign then the pug is reset for increasing the player limit. The players AFK then find they have lost thier place and feel they should have a spot.

People shouldn't really go afk during pug signups but we all know it takes some time for pug's to start on occasions. I know some people do however abuse it the way you mean, but any banning will make people assume some sort of favouritsm banning.

I understand this point but i mean the cases where for example a pug ends and to many ppl wanna join the new pug beeing created. Everyone signs up in 2 seconds as soon as the letter changes and some just aren´t fast enough and reset the pug cause they get pissed off. I´m pretty sure no1 would complain at that person/those persons beeing banned for a while and i´m sure you wouldn´t get accused for favourism either. It´s an obvious situation.

im with tut, start banning, and if you really ban without favoritism aka refusing to ban a guy only because he's 8 SnY or pdm....... there won't be a favoritism whining about the bans.

start handing out temporary (between 10 hours ans 72 hours imho) bans to people who deserve it (mostly irc reseters) that could solve a problem

and for x-b..... thats the captains job to hand out all the tactics, if youre a captain and call positions for 2 people out of 6 and say like "everyone else low" dont whine that people dont listen, learn to hand out tactics properly and make sure everyone knows where hes gotta go at least for key objectives. Personally i've very rarely had a problem with people not listening to tactics, at least when they are on ts... and when as a captain im stuck with people refusing to go on ts even only to listen to start positions and ingame strategies.... I put them "upfront all map" in most cases and that does it.

Pugs are fun and they work and theres NO way you can force people to listen to tactics or go on ts... I agree it sucks but you cant enforce it.... and anyway its a small minority that doesnt go on ts and even fewer that dont listen to tactics so just chill about that, pug more, and look at the big picture

Last edited:
i see what u mean xb i prefer pugs to pubs for the pure fact u can take them as a cw, more fun and competative! but nowt yas can do

lmfao!

Seriously, what are you doing? re-read ur initial post, if i had written that id be looking at it and thinking "hold on, ive just made a complete cock out of myself" :lol:. Fuck me, its a game, a 7 year old game at that, no one gives a shit if ur not happy with the "standard".

Im sure many ppl get frustrated if someone is not on TS or makes a mistake, but shit happens and i dont see any other stupid threads depicting the crimes of fellow "puggers" :lol:. How about we monitor your PUG "performance" for a few months?, lets see how perfect you are then :lol:

I play occasionally, perhaps one PUG a week and generally its enjoyable, indeed its better when your team has organisation and everyone is on TS, but its not always gonna be the way so just get over it.

maybe you should re-read my first post and tell me what i have have said that is not true. Get this right, this is a forum and i am merely stating my opinion on the forum. You obviously dont play pug as much as me, once a week is nothing. Just because its a big long post full of what i feel is wrong with pugs doesnt mean i dont enjoy the pug, I still enjoy them sometimes like you do but i chose to voice my opinion on whats wrong with it. If stupid noobs and people not on TS annoy me, why aint i allowed to shout about it. maybe something can be done (or MAYBE just MAYBE some puggers who dont follow tactics often or dont logon to TS2 will actually logon to TS2 and start following tactics DO YOU SEE??? and *gasp* maybe some people will think about the way they play and try to play differently). Theres already 1 or 2 people who agree with me about some of my points. My Apologies for trying to improve the pug. Maybe you dont think it needs improvement. Though you already admitted its better to play with TS2 and organisation :thumb:

Last edited:
XB :lol: :rofl:

You can't make people play the way you want them to play and you can't make people any more intelligent by making forum posts. Even if some people decide to use TS, they might still be too 'dumb' to meet your standards and use TS properly (and still miss the launch that others would have noticed).
Sure, try to improve the PUG, improvements are always welcome. This is just a proper flame thread, induced by your own frustrations.

Attachments

• Get%20a%20Life_gif.jpg
    Get%20a%20Life_gif.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
nobody ever listens to positions....cept a few people

heres my rant about pug, and yes i know its a PICK UP GROUP, but then consider this game is 7 years old, and most people left in this league have been playing this game for over3 years at least

you have 1 dimensional people who can only do certain stuff like "upfront", give them any other role and they suck and im not talking about giving some1 who cant snipe, a sniper role, im talking just any basic role. if its not normal for them they just dont like it/cant do it. I mean seriously people need to learn how to defend positions they are not use to. Otherwise they will always suck imo.

then you have those monkeys without comms + they suck anyways so they are basically a pile of shit and useless and spam LOLOLOLOLOL all day - FUCK OFF. I rather take some really crap player that can at least communicate well over a player who sucks and doesnt even have a voice comm. Playing alot of pug recently has showed me why there is such a big gulf in class even within division one itself. It seems some people are so systematic in how they play they forget so many of the other stuff like defending launches. Let me give an example i always say push forward at hurons path, a good player would push forward with the mindset that the enemy can launch at anytime from the bottom of the towers and would play to stop that. A dumb player will think "ok ill push forward" and doesnt even consider to worry about the launch before its too late, these players are too used to someone else dealing with it. And now a BAD player will die trying to push forward and then never ever push again causing the whole team to defend back. These are the worst players, because they dont understand what makes a good defense. And in this case its giving your team enough time to reposition after dying.

Then you have these mysterious "i have no mic" players. HELLO its fucking 2007 a microphone costs £2. But anyway im sure these mysterious people have mics and they are just to afraid to use them. whats so hard about saying high or low. dont fucking play pug if u cant communicate, pug is a step up from public servers, and that step up is being able to communicate and use tactics.

Now lets talk about attack, attacking in a pug is much harder because usually it takes practice before hand in a clan war etc to organise launches whos gonna do em and stuff like that. And you never know whos going to be in your team in PUGS so it is much harder. But theres some damn simple launches people cant set, learn them JEEEZ its not that hard. The other problem is once again down to communication, people dont say what launches they do know, until they grabbed a six pack rocket and then say WATERLAUNCH!!!! while waiting there for 15 secs for some1 to come. Make the play BEFORE you grab that 6 pack of rocket launcher and tell some1. That way you can launch immediately and the other guy is well prepared to accept he launch and there is adequate cover. There is no on-the-fly tactics in most pugs and i cant figure out why. If you cant attack one route why do you insist on taking that same route 500 times. I can understand if your close to getting an objective by using this method but otherwise why bother. The other problem is if a suggestion is made to attack a certain route, people try to second guess the person who made that call. Obviously stuff wont work if you do that. Theres so much more shit i can talk about but i cba, basically people need to stop playing dumb. And im not saying "wooohooo im the best - listen to me i rule, i own all you" cause im not the best, but i know for sure i play efffectively, and what i lack in my abilities i can make up through my communication and teamplay. And neither am i saying pug matchees should be as good as clan wars cause they never will be, but i just had my ass handed to me 4 times in a row 4-0 because of basic misunderstanding of the game from 1-2 people in my team. And thats my rant done, 1-2 bad players can ruin the entire team, so hopefully people can try do something about it.

Are you sure you didn't intend this for the World of Warcraft forums? :rolleyes:

PUG Games shud be wayz cooler and stylisher than on Public servers ok.

And a good Pug Game shud be like that:

- 2 Captains who are giving Tactics
- EVEN teams
- Everybody on Teamspeak, listening to Tactics and Communication + talk urself.
- Nice Assault
- Fun on TS and in UT.

So wot basically is pissing me off is:
- A Captain who gives a shit about Tactics. Fuck sake everybody can giv stupid normal positions....
- Uneven teams, good that it doesnt happen too often.
- If sumbody is NOT on TS so not even listening, that guy shud fuck off as soon as possible. Only listening is gay aswell. And not doing wot Captain tells him is ubergay.
- If sumbody is acting silly and is annoying he shud fuck off.

Pug is for fun + nice skillful assault with tactics and launches.

If ur too dumb to listen to tactics or giv tactics as captain u shud fuck off and play on a public server, #utapug is not ur place then.

damnit ase beat me to the ITS PICK UP GAME U NOOB...

aside from that - lolz at ppl making excuses for not using TS - even if you dont wanna talk - jus be there listening

if someone is particularly loud or quiet - ASK THEM TO TURN IT UP/DOWN

if theres an echo - ask them to put on a headset or turn down their mic sensitivity

its not hard ffs

tbh most the non-TS user are jus scared ppl wont listen to their girly voices - hai bin rai :p:

oh and XB - as much as i agree with some things youve said.. youre expecting a little much lol

tbh most the non-TS user are jus scared ppl wont listen to their girly voices - hai bin rai :p:

:lol:

Hai Riv as well (Unless you reached puberty by now) :)

As a sidenote though. Riv was never affraid to speak :D