why are there captains in pugs?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

X-Bomb

Aug 16, 2001
London
nobody ever listens to positions....cept a few people

heres my rant about pug, and yes i know its a PICK UP GROUP, but then consider this game is 7 years old, and most people left in this league have been playing this game for over3 years at least

you have 1 dimensional people who can only do certain stuff like "upfront", give them any other role and they suck and im not talking about giving some1 who cant snipe, a sniper role, im talking just any basic role. if its not normal for them they just dont like it/cant do it. I mean seriously people need to learn how to defend positions they are not use to. Otherwise they will always suck imo.

then you have those monkeys without comms + they suck anyways so they are basically a pile of shit and useless and spam LOLOLOLOLOL all day - FUCK OFF. I rather take some really crap player that can at least communicate well over a player who sucks and doesnt even have a voice comm. Playing alot of pug recently has showed me why there is such a big gulf in class even within division one itself. It seems some people are so systematic in how they play they forget so many of the other stuff like defending launches. Let me give an example i always say push forward at hurons path, a good player would push forward with the mindset that the enemy can launch at anytime from the bottom of the towers and would play to stop that. A dumb player will think "ok ill push forward" and doesnt even consider to worry about the launch before its too late, these players are too used to someone else dealing with it. And now a BAD player will die trying to push forward and then never ever push again causing the whole team to defend back. These are the worst players, because they dont understand what makes a good defense. And in this case its giving your team enough time to reposition after dying.

Then you have these mysterious "i have no mic" players. HELLO its fucking 2007 a microphone costs £2. But anyway im sure these mysterious people have mics and they are just to afraid to use them. whats so hard about saying high or low. dont fucking play pug if u cant communicate, pug is a step up from public servers, and that step up is being able to communicate and use tactics.

Now lets talk about attack, attacking in a pug is much harder because usually it takes practice before hand in a clan war etc to organise launches whos gonna do em and stuff like that. And you never know whos going to be in your team in PUGS so it is much harder. But theres some damn simple launches people cant set, learn them JEEEZ its not that hard. The other problem is once again down to communication, people dont say what launches they do know, until they grabbed a six pack rocket and then say WATERLAUNCH!!!! while waiting there for 15 secs for some1 to come. Make the play BEFORE you grab that 6 pack of rocket launcher and tell some1. That way you can launch immediately and the other guy is well prepared to accept he launch and there is adequate cover. There is no on-the-fly tactics in most pugs and i cant figure out why. If you cant attack one route why do you insist on taking that same route 500 times. I can understand if your close to getting an objective by using this method but otherwise why bother. The other problem is if a suggestion is made to attack a certain route, people try to second guess the person who made that call. Obviously stuff wont work if you do that. Theres so much more shit i can talk about but i cba, basically people need to stop playing dumb. And im not saying "wooohooo im the best - listen to me i rule, i own all you" cause im not the best, but i know for sure i play efffectively, and what i lack in my abilities i can make up through my communication and teamplay. And neither am i saying pug matchees should be as good as clan wars cause they never will be, but i just had my ass handed to me 4 times in a row 4-0 because of basic misunderstanding of the game from 1-2 people in my team. And thats my rant done, 1-2 bad players can ruin the entire team, so hopefully people can try do something about it.

Last edited:
cuz (hopefully) good maps will be chosen and fair teams, after that it's just like a public, usually

[23:01:39] <%UTAPugbot> Blue team: d-wish (captain) d-yak d-thrash d-sausage d-ice d-target
[23:01:40] <%UTAPugbot> Red team: d-squirrel (captain) d-mont d-sneez d-dipz d-ulv d-smant

Although some points were a bit harsh, I agree on you that a lot of people don't know how to do certain things properly, i.e. adapt to the situation. Really annoys me too, but in the end, there's not a lot you can do about it :/

heres my rant about pug, and yes i know its a PICK UP GROUP, but then consider this game is 7 years old, and most people left in this league have been playing this game for over3 years at least

you have 1 dimensional people who can only do certain stuff like "upfront", give them any other role and they suck and im not talking about giving some1 who cant snipe, a sniper role, im talking just any basic role. if its not normal for them they just dont like it/cant do it. I mean seriously people need to learn how to defend positions they are not use to. Otherwise they will always suck imo.

then you have those monkeys without comms + they suck anyways so they are basically a pile of shit and useless and spam LOLOLOLOLOL all day - FUCK OFF. I rather take some really crap player that can at least communicate well over a player who sucks and doesnt even have a voice comm. Playing alot of pug recently has showed me why there is such a big gulf in class even within division one itself. It seems some people are so systematic in how they play they forget so many of the other stuff like defending launches. Let me give an example i always say push forward at hurons path, a good player would push forward with the mindset that the enemy can launch at anytime from the bottom of the towers and would play to stop that. A dumb player will think "ok ill push forward" and doesnt even consider to worry about the launch before its too late, these players are too used to someone else dealing with it. And now a BAD player will die trying to push forward and then never ever push again causing the whole team to defend back. These are the worst players, because they dont understand what makes a good defense. And in this case its giving your team enough time to reposition after dying.

Then you have these mysterious "i have no mic" players. HELLO its fucking 2007 a microphone costs £2. But anyway im sure these mysterious people have mics and they are just to afraid to use them. whats so hard about saying high or low. dont fucking play pug if u cant communicate, pug is a step up from public servers, and that step up is being able to communicate and use tactics.

Now lets talk about attack, attacking in a pug is much harder because usually it takes practice before hand in a clan war etc to organise launches whos gonna do em and stuff like that. And you never know whos going to be in your team in PUGS so it is much harder. But theres some damn simple launches people cant set, learn them JEEEZ its not that hard. The other problem is once again down to communication, people dont say what launches they do know, until they grabbed a six pack rocket and then say WATERLAUNCH!!!! while waiting there for 15 secs for some1 to come. Make the play BEFORE you grab that 6 pack of rocket launcher and tell some1. That way you can launch immediately and the other guy is well prepared to accept he launch and there is adequate cover. There is no on-the-fly tactics in most pugs and i cant figure out why. If you cant attack one route why do you insist on taking that same route 500 times. I can understand if your close to getting an objective by using this method but otherwise why bother. The other problem is if a suggestion is made to attack a certain route, people try to second guess the person who made that call. Obviously stuff wont work if you do that. Theres so much more shit i can talk about but i cba, basically people need to stop playing dumb. And im not saying "wooohooo im the best - listen to me i rule, i own all you" cause im not the best, but i know for sure i play efffectively, and what i lack in my abilities i can make up through my communication and teamplay. And neither am i saying pug matchees should be as good as clan wars cause they never will be, but i just had my ass handed to me 4 times in a row 4-0 because of basic misunderstanding of the game from 1-2 people in my team. And thats my rant done, 1-2 bad players can ruin the entire team, so hopefully people can try do something about it.

Pff. Sounds to me like ur saying "wooohooo im the best - listen to me i rule, i own all you".

XB from the 10-20 pugs I've played with you, you didnt use TS :rofl: and our team lost ebcause of you doing your own thing :P

Then you have these mysterious "i have no mic" players. HELLO its fucking 2007 a microphone costs £2. But anyway im sure these mysterious people have mics and they are just to afraid to use them. whats so hard about saying high or low. dont fucking play pug if u cant communicate, pug is a step up from public servers, and that step up is being able to communicate and use tactics.QUOTE]

Man they just to darn mysterious.......:hm:

NO, a pug should never be like a public

why not?

PickUpGroup

It's not a clanwar

I know it's a 'step up' from publics, but you can't expect ppl to play like its a leaguewar, which is what you want, from what I can see

Only way to make it better would be to include more rules, which i cannot see happening ;)

Last edited:
Only way to make it better would be to include more rules, which i cannot see happening ;)

LOL yer right, I'm sorta waiting for a ban coming up for saying "Hello" in the wrong way which admis dont like and u get a 700 year ban. Coming in 2008!

Regardless to the general misconception the admins are there to monitor the channel itself mostly; there are not many in game related problems other than people leaving mid game and not finding replacements.

It's unfortunate you got a bad bunch of games, but at the end of the day I won't be supporting rules which force people to use microphones. Teamspeak is there to make players that usually would never be in the same channel communicate to each other, enjoy the game, its completely optional.

I do appreciate that it's annoying when you play the game with the desire to win, trust me I know this very well. But you have to deal with it, PUG isn't league, its a level in between league wars and public games.

The day rules such as the use of teamspeak or forcing people to obey tactics is the day pug dies and public is the only option; best thing you can hope and ask for is to 'ask' nicely that people join and explain to them some common sense.

The reason I'm unable to communicate is because pugs I participate in are played during night times because it's basically the only time I'm free to do so. I still live with my parents and I'm sure they wouldn't really appreciate if I shouted incomings/called launches while they're sleeping. However I personally try to use binds and maybe take 2 or 3 seconds to type something via teamsay, even thought it might be too late already, it's a fast game after all.

But what worries me the most is that why do you play pugs to win? Your wins or losses aren't recorded anywhere (apart from some stats at utastats), you've got nothing to win or lose. Personally for me it's enough to have some funny moments, good laughs and preferably a flameless match which I enjoy, even if my team loses. You don't need to have tactics that require rocket science or know every players' launching knowledge in a pug, just a basic strategy is enough. If they don't do what you tell them to do well in that case you're free to flame them in my opinion, nothing much else you can do.

Oh and by the way:

<n-s> XB come to ts for a change?
* Torp ([email protected]) has joined #utapug
<n-bomb> i dont have ts installed

(it's from way back but...)

Well some of your points are true, but i dunno why you bring them up.

There will always be bad (or like you said: DUMB) players. I know guys who play since 6 years and are still noobish fragwise.
So what? PUG is there for the whole community and not only for the elite.
So even weak players / highpingers / no voice commers should be allowed to play pug games without getting flamed by better players.
And insulting them, only because they arent as good as you expected, or dont do what your "1337" tacs is saying, is bad (or like you would said: DUMB).

if you can't handle a puglose caused by that, you should consider not playing pug games.
I doubt that ppl will change and like Raichu already said: "it's not a clanwar".
Many people dont take pug games as serious as you, so accept them..like they accept your (abit nerdy) pov :P

Then you have these mysterious "i have no mic" players. HELLO its fucking 2007 a microphone costs £2. But anyway im sure these mysterious people have mics and they are just to afraid to use them. whats so hard about saying high or low. dont fucking play pug if u cant communicate, pug is a step up from public servers, and that step up is being able to communicate and use tactics.QUOTE]

Man they just to darn mysterious.......:hm:
what's so fucking hard to read "High" or "Low"?

Well, i'm such a mysterious guy who dont wanna use voice communication.

Why? Well easy to understand: 8 out of 10 cases voice com aint helping, it is even disturbing.
Whether one singing retarded songs, talking bullshit about his reallife or screaming with 120 dB everytime he sees a launcher.
Some are talking to silent others way too loud and ontop of that there are people with echo.

No man, voice com sucks. :P
Binds are silent, easy to understand and fast.

Oh and dont come with the tacs: There is a nice tool called tactics viewer.

edit: oh yes i know that it's difficult / impossible to use them in pugs :P

Last edited: