youth language

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, and it's just gettin worse and worse.
I hear it so much these days I don't even bother to make a remark about it anymore. On the other hand, Sausje has a point, but it's a bit different aswell. For instance: people call each other 'mongool' when someone's acting out of the ordinary, but 'kanker' just seems to be used in any random sentence these days. Like today in a pug, someone did a launch and finished the map, and someone yelled: 'kanker-owned'. wtf is that? kanker kanker kanker it just seems to fit in front of every word. I don't see the need to add 'kanker' in front of every word I use, but it seems loads of ppl have just been 'brainwashed' into using it all the time. They prolly don't even realize what they're saying aswell. The fact that such a word is becoming so common is worrying.
I very much doubt all ppl using that word haven't been confronted with the disease in one way or the other, maybe if they tried to realize the pain the disease causes/caused ppl would refrain from using it.

If it was ppl from mavo/havo/vwo/hbo/wo, everyone was saying it.

Tbh ive never heard someone on my uni saying this once.. really! Might be coz the arty people, but I think better educated people rather think twice before they say a word like this out in the blue.
Most (not all) of the time u'd see those kids who look like chavs using it alot.

It isn't acceptable imo; we can quite easily censor such words on the UTA IRC network, but it's limited by a channel flag (and addition of the word to the censored dictionary).

can you please explain the channel flag thingy?
Actually I think UTA would make a good statement for the rest of the online gaming communities to ban these words from irc. So i'd very up for this!

Its how language evolves it happens in all diletcs and languages

using the word Kanker is just a throw away term that of emphisis or petty insult.

using the term Gay to discribe somthing rubbish or bad is equally offensive and its been used on these forums and in common language for years.

Spazz
Mong
Rem
Joey
Spacka

All very offensive words but all used buy school kids everyday

this has happened since the begining of modern language terms such as damn, sod, bugger, bloody, twit and idiot were very offensive once but are now looked upon as common language.

Fart
Crap
Shit

are all very offensive words 2 generations ago yet our parents and us use these term daily.

the most offensive word in the english language is still cunt but who knows how long before its just another word thats thrown into everyday conversation.

I think you are just going to have to accept that its the way language evolves and it has nothing to do with education or intelligence.

sry Rich but I can't agree with you.
It's like saying: cancer is so common these days, let's face it and dont try to find a cure or medicine.

that's rubbish.. of course we cannot accept how drastical the language is changing.
We aren't robots without emotions for christ sake. People have to think before they say such foolish words, if not: then they should be helped or punnished, simple.

can you please explain the channel flag thingy?
Actually I think UTA would make a good statement for the rest of the online gaming communities to ban these words from irc. So i'd very up for this!

From #dog earlier:-
Code:
[18:39] [&]che> bah...insta sux 4 me...can´t play with this warping <censored> :\
[18:50] []bossk> whats up with all the censored stuff?
[18:50] []bossk> <censored>
[18:50] []bossk> :P
Setting a channel with mode +G turns on the Badword filter; it checks for words listed in the Badword blocks, and replaces them with the words specified (in most cases <censored>).

Of course the filtering is done at a server level, so the user who originally wrote the badword doesn't get to see it censored unless their client relies on the server return before displaying what they wrote.

Last edited:
"We aren't robots without emotions for christ sake. "

funny you should use that term "Christ sake" to make your point.

That was and to some still is very offensive to take the lords name in vain.

"It's like saying: cancer is so common these days, let's face it and dont try to find a cure or medicine."

rubbish im saying nothing of the sort and thats a foolish thing to imply.

Well said Rich, think you've hit the nail on the head with both them posts.

I'm sorry to hear your relative is sick breen. but I think your taking this a bit to far and to personally. I can accept that hearing people using it may remind you of your own suffering, but then seeing a small child saying "I love you 'insert relative name' " which will also upset you.

For instance atleast when kanker is used it seems to be used in a negative sense, whereas being gay is generally accepted as ok, not a negative thing, each to there own, yet it is used frequently in a derogatory manor. I don't see how you can possibly say your what your pointing out is different/worse.

Agreed, and it's just gettin worse and worse.
I hear it so much these days I don't even bother to make a remark about it anymore. On the other hand, Sausje has a point, but it's a bit different aswell. For instance: people call each other 'mongool' when someone's acting out of the ordinary, but 'kanker' just seems to be used in any random sentence these days. Like today in a pug, someone did a launch and finished the map, and someone yelled: 'kanker-owned'. wtf is that? kanker kanker kanker it just seems to fit in front of every word. I don't see the need to add 'kanker' in front of every word I use, but it seems loads of ppl have just been 'brainwashed' into using it all the time. They prolly don't even realize what they're saying aswell. The fact that such a word is becoming so common is worrying.
I very much doubt all ppl using that word haven't been confronted with the disease in one way or the other, maybe if they tried to realize the pain the disease causes/caused ppl would refrain from using it.

:thumb:, i agree with u and what breen said. it's sad that ppl use the word randomly in front of every word without even thinking about what they're saying

:thumb:, i agree with u and what breen said. it's sad that ppl use the word randomly in front of every word without even thinking about what they're saying
oh really, who called me a kankernerd three weeks ago, all because of some lag, and this was on dog server who was having problems? :rolleyes:

i agree with many people here in different ways...

saying kanker is indeed stupid to say, but it's happening, and you can't stop it by censoring it at IRC, at least wouldn't help me saying something like that to my friends (i don't use kk though, but other stuff)... the words like that aren't first placed on irc, you get them via your friends... one starts using it, then the 2nd starts, and so on... offcourse i agree to censor it, but you won't get it out of the world... but ok, for the pc junks 24/7 it'll do just fine :P

it's just a hype to use the word... just like jesus christ was used few years ago, it's just coming and going... sometimes it stays 6 months, sometimes it'll last for years, nothing to do about it really...

sry Rich but I can't agree with you.
It's like saying: cancer is so common these days, let's face it and dont try to find a cure or medicine.

that's rubbish.. of course we cannot accept how drastical the language is changing.
We aren't robots without emotions for christ sake. People have to think before they say such foolish words, if not: then they should be helped or punnished, simple.

Me neither, noone at uni uses the word. My statement is based on my own experience at two universities, and with certain groups ;)

heb net de hond uit gelaten ,egt een kk weer buiten :P
kk is al een stuk beter als "kanker"zelf

Last edited:
KANKERLOL :P ey brainrain i dont say it to you and making some statement like that i to have ppl in my surroundings who have it at the moment.. uncureable but its a learned word just like fuck for the english language... face the fact that u cant make the world a better place gg. flamin is part of the game and swearing to live with it..

oh really, who called me a kankernerd three weeks ago, all because of some lag, and this was on dog server who was having problems? :rolleyes:

well u should learn 2 read my line. i said randomly in front of EVERY word. blame me for using it once oh mighty cassius :bowdown:

KANKERLOL :P ey brainrain i dont say it to you and making some statement like that i to have ppl in my surroundings who have it at the moment.. uncureable but its a learned word just like fuck for the english language... face the fact that u cant make the world a better place gg. flamin is part of the game and swearing to live with it..

yer obviously using it now to hurt me. If u had some respect for someones opinion, you would never use this now in this thread. You just showed how lowhearted u really are. bah u are a disgrace for this country :mad:
And no way its anything close to 'fuck'. 'Fuck' isnt a uncurable disease, it's something ordinary.

bah u are a disgrace for this country :mad:

eaz up breen... you're right he shouldn't say, that was indeed really really dumb, but he is... so can't blame him for that...

i got educated people around me who (HAVO/Atheneum/HBO) use the word... and it's unfair to say that uneducated people only say kanker... it's just because you're couple of years older then montana,loco,dirz and me (allthough i don't use it, only in a quick response of pain/anger) but these days lot of boys/man between 10 - 20 use it tbh... just face it...

Status
Not open for further replies.