Windows 7 x64

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

yako

?Niko®
Apr 11, 2002
Germany [NRW]
I have got a white screen when I start UT on windows 7 x64, no ESC or any other button will ever change it...

Anyone knows what to do to run UT on windows 7 x64 or isnt it compatible at all?

I just saw ppl playing with Vista x64 and have got no problem with UT, but it might be different with the x64 version of windows7...

Thx:P

ran UT under Win7 x64 without problems.

didnt isntalled it, just used UT which i installed under Win98 years ago and copied it over and over again :teehee:

Aye runs fine

Update direct X and gfx drivers

use attachment to update dx

Attachments

• dxwebsetup.zip
    259.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
lets add a DB and Mym (panic) button to the upper right of the forum.
As soon you've a problem you click it and DB or Mym gets an instant message with the problem.

imho very useful

:lol: that sounds like a terrible idea!

btw Yako, keep in mind win7 64bit doesnt work with the league servers, anything running UTDC wont be happy.

Anything running UTDC 2.0 will not work, I think anything older should be set to ignore incompatible OS's. Having said that, its a bit early for a Sunday morning so I may remember that wrongly about the older versions, im sure someone else will confirm it quicker than me..

Pug server will work as its running ACE rather than UTDC

lo,

i used Win7x64 a long time... so:

you can use any leagueserver except #2

UTDC 2.1c will not work with it and you also will have no chance getting at a lot DM, CTF and so on servers as they use newest UTDC and UTDCplus

Anyway theres NO WORKAROUND! And never be! with upcoming ACE theres no sense in fixing this win7x64 issue with UTDC.

And it's ONLY WIN7x64 - all others (WinXP,Vista,Linux)@64bit works fine - maybe you have to install files manually but i use(ed) those with sucess..

And the start problem (white screen) was cause by DX10 included in Win7 witch is missing some libaries from DX7/8/9 so install new DX should fix... the standart nvidia Drivers of Win7x64 are quite good and will automaticly update if new version is out that MS proofed....

So i guess yako u use DX?

Greets dErz

still wont get past UTDC

possible reason x64 operating systems wont run 16 bit programs / subroutines

no matter what compatibility mode you put it in

havent had any probs with it so far. But then again, i haven't pld on server #2 yet, using W7, so that might explain

so what speaks against putting ace on every league server? there are hardly UT servers with utdc anymore afaik (ctf, tdm, etc)
there was a time when I wud switch my OS back to one thats working with UT, but nowadays I think it isn't worth it anymore due to the league activity or future systems at all

With the amount of grief we had after putting UTDC2.1 on ONE server I would think we just want them to iron out most of the issues before it gets put on a league server. They are still developing it quite a lot and fixing quite a few things, there are still quite a few people in pug that have problems with either joining or small issues when playing, when most of those are sorted then I think itll be seen on at least one league server before long.

there was a time when I wud switch my OS back to one thats working with UT

Theres no alternativ to win7x64 - if you want to use Windows... Any high-end machine should use 64bit and all "other" Winx64 are not even close to Win7.

XP64 - is a dead end... it's very uncommen and bad driver support. Also you'll miss DX10
Vista64 - is fucking hard to handle... it's crapping up the system and randomly crashes with updates.

Saying 64bit is overrated - well it's not the future anymore - it's state of the art and irgnoring that means you should go back to 16bit

Anyway - if you really want just an UT OS that works with any server, make a dual-boot - use XP32 and fine... so you can use that boot if you need to play at UTDC21 servers... Howto-step-by-step-guides are around and it's very easy.

But how about making UTA server#7 with ACE?! :P just msg me MyM

greets dErZ

np I just create a VM-Ware with windows7 x86 and install UT on it

that is NOT a solution because the 3D output of the VM is poor! You'll not get a decent UT running there...

(Wirklich Du bist nicht der erste der genau diese Problem hatte und ich habe alle Möglichkeiten durchgespielt ;))

DerZ

well ok :P I know VMWare is kinda shit when you want a good solution for this problem...I will probably just install another OS :P

VM is really good except it's NOT giving the same 3D Power and maybe some Malware recognize that it's living in a VM box and will still hide... anyway this is too much...

I would say stay with Win7x64 (it's really the best Win OS) and make a dualboot... if your realy really want to play at UTDC2.1 servers...

learn here how to use gparted to make room at your HDD for second OS
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windows_7_xp_installed_first.htm?page=3
and here is the step by step guide to install XP when Win7 was installed first...
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html
(Method2)

greetz

dErZ