Window in window Team View

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Phear

The all powerful W|G!
May 27, 2001
Birmingham, UK
Darkheart did you mean something like this: :D

test.jpg

The screenshot isn't the best, its a small picture in picture of a team mate (in the test picture its actually myself). It is a feature I worked on for the latest version of LeagueAS, however I scrapped it cos it was buggy and I got bored of ppl telling me how I shouldn't be messing with Assault (Gazzy feel free to pipe up here) and this would be quite a big change. Shame cos it was a pretty cool feature as Shai and Grz will tell you :)

OMG!

*Does not worthy routine at feet of Phear*

Phear that's just what I was thinking of. That's awesome, how the heck do you do that? Could you make it semitransparent?

That would be useful and lots of fun, can you email that to me?

Darkheart

P.S. The logical link between this and RW is they would both assist battlefield comms, I had thought at least the RW thing would not be possible (for the reasons other people already mentioned, main 1 being executing progs from uscript). I thought the picture in picture thing would be possible (because you can do it full screen anyway) but didn't believe anyone would be able to code it.

OMG Phear, thats GREEEAT... ;)

which bitches told u to stop coding this crazy feature for the LeagueAS Mod????? :mad:

continue the work, it seems to be a good feature to use!

and it´s not messing with Assault, it´s extending style of the game!!! :D

It's a nice feature, but would probably hurt framerates too much I'm guessing. But what would maybe be nice is just a text version where u could see ammo, weapons etc on bottom or top of screen all configurable from the ini file.

But don't take just 1 persons opinion, see what a group of people think.

If such a thing with pictures like Evolva like u showed was possible, it would waste a lot of screenspace and maybe hurt frames quite a lot, so IF u thought about including it, it should deffo be optional to totally turn it off.

errrrrrrrrrr

I Hate to be the one to say this but

IF YOU DONT INCLUDE THAT IN THE NEXT LEAGUE AS IM GONNA COME ROUND AND BREAK YER LEGS

ffs thats mint such a good idea :)

please include it i agree with ace make it optional if its possable

i use team view all the time when im deffending so to be able to tab thru and not have it full screen would be fantastic for me

and it would also hepl in traning and practices for obvious reasons

so PLEASE put it in m8

its a great idea and for those people who carnt play under 40 fps

make it optional
:)
Opti

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a testrun of the teammate camera, and IMO it worked great. I expected it to be really jerky, but it was smooth as hell :).

It had a minor bug tho, with lightsources from the feed extending outside of the window. Could be quite annoying in certain situations, but not too bad. Also, if I remember correctly, there were a limit on the distance between the "feeder" and the "watcher".

@ Ace: Yes, it was toggleable, and no it didn't hurt my FPS all that bad.

Talk about hiding your light under bushel and a 40 feet tall lead lined bushel at that!

This is a MUST include!

Darkheart

Last edited:
Yeah me and Ninja use it often in practice and even in match sometimes "F5=ViewClass Pawn | behindview 0"

Helps when setting up hammerlaunch, showing rippershots, new dodges round maps etc.

I'm guessing it's 2 binds : I to swithc on/off and 1 to cycle through teammates ?

Originally posted by Optical
IF YOU DONT INCLUDE THAT IN THE NEXT LEAGUE AS IM GONNA COME ROUND AND BREAK YER LEGS

I like your persuasive style :P

Looks v nice I have to say, great for praccies and clan matches as already mentioned.

i have no idea how it works

but from what been posted its toggled on and off

is it toggleable behindview 1 behindview 0 as well ?

or could it be made to be ?

Opti

Atm its just on/off and cycle through team mates, althought the test pic above shows behindview the actual view will be first person.

Like I said it is kinda buggy atm. Lens flares, smoke trails and some other things dont get rendered in their correct position in the window and often get rendered outside the window. This is a bug with UT itself, not what I have done, and I don't think it will be fixable :( If you've you seen the armourers cameras in UnF you'll see they have the same problem.

The other problem atm is the views have limited range. As you may or may not know UT only replicates (copies from the server to client) the things which you can see (or which have just gone out of view or about to come into view) to keep the bandwidth limits down. Therefore once a player goes out of view for a while your client no longer knows their location and the camera doesn't work anymore. Now I could probably write a system to replicate the location of players at all times, but this could open up some security issues.

It certainly wont be in the next version, for that I have added simply the text you see showing ammo, armour etc, + added location, so that you can see the status of all your teammates. The reason I gave up working on the camera is that working out these bugs is gonna take some work, and I didn't wanna put the effort in just to get a load of abuse from the assholes of the community (Gazzy feel free to pipe up again).

Can I play devil's advocate here? :devil:
I'm not saying its a bad idea, it actually looks pretty nifty and would like to see this :) Just trying to raise the problems that could arise out of this

Methinks its a bad idea, for these 2 main reasons, as follow:

1) Any change in how the game was intended to be played could result in a cascade of mods that stray away from the original game. Say, for example, that after seeing this, I say "ok, I'll make a mod that allowsme to see the action behind me, like a rearview mirror type thing. Then somebody else could comeup up with a "flyby" mod in which one could "park" his character, and go assess the defense. Im not saying these are good ideas, Im just saying that we have to assess how a mod would change how the game is played.

2)This point is more of a follow through on my last sentence of point 1. How will this affect how the game is played? Well If I use this in a match for example, I sent whoever is in front of me as a scout in Guardia, beyond door or at bridge, to see how the defense is laid out. So after whoever was in front of me dies or whatever, I know pretty much where everybody is defending and makes it easier for me to probably get a kill. I dunno, but I dont want this. This is a FIRST-person shooter, not multiple-person shooter. "Yes, but you can say who's where on D in RW."
Yes, but with RW its hard to precisely describe who is defending where. or attacking how, etc.

Keep in mind, Devil's Advocate! :devil:
I think its a really nifty idea, but too powerful, wouldnt want to see this in a match. Anybody agree maybe just a bit? :crazy:

Well that was another problem myself and Shaitan discussed, how it would impact the way the game is played. I don't think the spawning of other mods is an issue to worry about, people can do that anyway, doesn't matter what I do with LeagueAS. But how it affects game play would need to be assessed, it was also another reason for keeping the range limit on, which will reduce the impact on the game.

I knocked your League mod for turning Assault into a puff's playground

My point exactly, you outright slagged it. Constructive comments such as those posted by Xav above are welcome the kinda crap and outright insults you deal are not, so if you beleive I have "slated" you without provocation you are sadly mistaken.

Comments like "Grz will tell you he shits gold bricks if he thinks it's going to speed up his map to league process" more than prove my point.

You are happy to enter into constructive conversation now, since you feel this is a good feature, however when its something you don't like your comments are :shout: & :argue: not :talk:.

WOW i must say im extremly impressed at phears programming skills. :eek:

How the heck do u do it !!????

If u ever get the time pls do a uscript tutorial. plsplspls

(Ive tried meself but all i managed was the vampire and some mmmonster/ultrakill lol )

Before people get carried away with the fairness issue remember this is a MOD which MUST be installed on the SERVER for it to work. So either everyone has it or no-one has it so it's not going to unfairly benefit any 1 team.

Personally I'm full of praise for Phear's scripting skills and if it has an on/off feature I don't see any harm in using it, it's up to individual server admins wether they want this feature on or off. In fact I can see it raising everyones game to new heights as it will accecentuate TEAM skills. While I would have some reservations about it going into league play straight away I'd want to play quite a few deciede wether it would be good or bad. Either way I think it would still be tremendous fun to play around with.

In a way I kinda like the idea it won't work over large distances as it makes it less useable as an advance scout tool and more a teammate to teammate tool. Could also be explained in the game context that you are "out of range" of certain teammates.

I think inclusion in the league is a good question but to not develop it if possible just because of some biggotted objections to change or an attituide that "Epic knows best" (in which case why'd they include the ability to add mods), is a crying shame. Phear if you can get this working stable then please let us play around with it, hell even if you can't I'd love to play with a beta!

Thanks,

Darkheart

fuck the rest
im sure Mi5 server can host it for testing
BRING IT ON thats a fucking beast and Assault teamplay would be greatly increased with this bloody good m8, awesome. One question would it in anyway increase ping or create lag ?

:mingun: :mingun: :mingun: :mingun:
:) :)