Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

give us the old ut weapon set with all the weapons splah damage etc and it would be fine

ie give us a hammers and give us 6 shot launchable rockets, then we might be getting somewhere. Nice gamemode shame about the lack of launching (though will give full judgement when i see other maps on that subject) really feels like that witha few tweaks it could be the next thing, leagueas2k4 anyone ?

played it for 2 hours and i must say the new ONS mode is really cool. its very fastpaced and entertaining.
i really like the changes on the guns, the asmd is a lot easier to use now, its been said its underpowered but im not so sure; in ONS it is almost useless, simply because the theres too much place to dodge the combos, in DM it seemed fairly strong. but i cant see a reason for the grenade launcher and the mines launcher. if you could at least shoot those bloody spiders, but once they are underway its friggin hard to get rid of them. the grenades are imo shit, if they wud at least explode when hitting an enemy, the delay between firing the nade and being able to trigger it is just annoying. as for the avril, imo a redeemer with a smaller blast radius wud have done the job, then u wud at least have to steer the thing instead of just let the missile find the target on its own.

i did not enjoy assault at all, the map is just too damn linear and spammy, plus the fps are around 40% lower than in any other gametype, even ONS gives me 40% more frames and the map is atleast 3 times as big.

but even tho its spammy i cant understand how you can find it more narrow than hispeed? the middle vehicle alone is about 4 times as wide as the hispeed train.

anyways that aside, the real shit about AS is this nooby-friendly interface, i mean even the dumbest tart out there will know the objectives after playing the map 10 times, theres no need for this announcer, also the red and blue indicator light thingys that fly out of the spawnpoint to show you where to go are just ridiculous.
and wtf is it about this hammerjump? i mean it barely gets you over another player, let alone somewhere usefull. -> me waits for a mutator.

what really really disapoints me tho is that epic didnt learn anyhting from all the complaints the received about the players being too poorly lit. its the same bs again, you can bareley see the ppl who are shooting you. not that it matters, im sure the TTM mutator will be ready for 2004 within the next week, its just kinda embarassing when they repeat their mistakes.

all in all im a lot more impressed by this demo than by the 2003 demo, dm with this set of weapons cud turn out to be very nice, cant tell it yet coz this map looks like it was designed by a total newcomer, we'll see when the full version comes out.

Last edited:
its obvious they dont want ppl hammer launching and by the looks of things even hammer jumping lol... why else would they maintain using the sound of a pneumatic drill going off which to me is pretty much the same as the noise when u try and blow up a wrong terminal in onslaught.. it's a 'DONT DO IT' annoying kind of thing, they may as well have used this for the new hammer charge noise, imagine playing a war with 4 or 5 of those going off around u

Ajax said:
give us the old ut weapon set with all the weapons splah damage etc and it would be fine

ie give us a hammers and give us 6 shot launchable rockets, then we might be getting somewhere. Nice gamemode shame about the lack of launching (though will give full judgement when i see other maps on that subject) really feels like that witha few tweaks it could be the next thing, leagueas2k4 anyone ?
Apparently there's a mutator that does what it says on the tin:

Classic UT: "Classic UT style weapons and configurable movement abilities"

Well pld for about 2hrs.

I thought it will be UT2k3,5 but a was a bit wrong.
Look almost the same as 2k3 but game smooth is very nice.
With my system specs with 34 players on server i had less lag than in 2k3 with 1 bot!
Lighting gun should be removed cuz it sux big time,
Sniper rifle go home with this weapon :P
Spider mines gun or whatever its called just fookin rox ;)
Shock rifle isnt same weapon anymore its just sucked.
Vechicles are nice in use also this new game type rox.
But no launching no hammer jump in assault = ut2k4 AS will be for noomtown players :)
Cant see the future in UTAS2k4...
Or the future will be orange :p

munkZ said:
its obvious they dont want ppl hammer launching and by the looks of things even hammer jumping lol... why else would they maintain using the sound of a pneumatic drill going off which to me is pretty much the same as the noise when u try and blow up a wrong terminal in onslaught.. it's a 'DONT DO IT' annoying kind of thing, they may as well have used this for the new hammer charge noise, imagine playing a war with 4 or 5 of those going off around u

ye i had that impression too, its just kinda weird anyways; they stated often enough that they dont want any kind of launchign, but hammerjumping was something they invented, so its pretty weird that they nerf it too.
anways, mutator :D

btw your attachement doesnt work.

Oooh; I just found the Music Player (F11)...

Currently only oGG Vorbis support, but I expect to see mp3 hacks out soon after the game release :)

OpenGL support seems much better than the jerky UT2k3 OpenGL; but it still needs tweaking to get the meshes rendering correctly imo. (There's just something not quite right about it). FPS is about the same as DX - but I've only tested it offline so far, would be interesting to see how it performs online.

Ill give my say tomorrow. Overall i muist admit i've expected a whole lot worse, but there are some things i'd like to add now.

1) Kill the fucking babysitter.
2) I can barely run decent fps on a dm mode with this crap pc, but with assault its like playing desertstorm. Talk about slideshows
3) I tried to hammerjump from one train to another but its impossible to get far, hell cant even jump on a roof with that shieldrodthinghammer
4) Sniper is back, for which im happy. But the recoil is just as slow as the ut2k3 lightgun and what is this white goo i get into my eyes when i shoot.

I'm getting the feeling that Epic thinks we've raped the game with hammerjumping, launching, using snipers on close range, combowhoring n such and that we now have to pay for what weve done.

Onslaught is the gem.

Convoy looks good plays bad.

Sometimes touching the objective is hard enough, let alone 17 times.

Last edited:
loved it! especially onslaught.. afaik tribes wasnt as fast paced as this so tho i could be wrong

as might be ok just didnt like that map i guess

:D

I think Assault and Onlsaught are both really good, yet the graphics is still the same as 2003, but tbh it doesnt bother me cos the sniper rifle is tha pwnz :d

Rel@x said:
loved it! especially onslaught.. afaik tribes wasnt as fast paced as this so tho i could be wrong

as might be ok just didnt like that map i guess

Your wrong :P

Just the average newcomer who plays the game will think its jump and get some height, those that learn the skill of the jetpack, same as dodging and tloc in UT. Will see that the ability to "SKI" and make use of all your surrounding turns the game really fast and action paced.

I used to play it with my brother. He was very good at it, played in the top clan in the CTF cups, and when you would watch him, IT deffinitly ISN'T slow :cool:

For this very reason all the people coming here saying, I like onslaught, please say, I love tribes 1/2 but havent ever played it.

Epic have changed a few things around and called a great game a 'mod' to UT2K4 and thats annoying me.

Me waits for new tribes.

Its just 2k3 with some new maps and guns, i will definetely stay with UT aswell as 90% of the ut community @ Qnet :P Its still WAY too spammy, assault is crap, lightning gun ruins it, etc ,etc: crap :)

Only way that epic might make something half decent as UT again is when they start getting really low sales and thats unlikly to happen even if "90%" of qnet dont like it.

most of the previous posters said:
"blablabla - whinewhinewhine - I'm stuck in the past and want to stay there"

Well, I've played the game for a grand total of 20 minutes so far, switching between the gametypes. Some of the complaints about weapons are valid, but the rest of the problems are simply down to poor map design. Doesn't imply a crap game full stop. Some custom maps, the option to turn off the "babysitting" options and its jocks wa-hey!

Dunno if it is just me, but general performance & load times are way better than in ut2k3. This on the exact same machine. OK, its just the demo, but I ran a comparison with options up as high as they'd go, and compared to the ut2k3 demo - still better performance. (All at 1280x1024x32 btw).

Oh, and interesting to note that some of the peeps complaining about "weak" or "nerfed" weapons in 2k4 are the same ones who moan about the mini being too powerful in UT1. Just no pleasing some people I guess... :rolleyes:

I only played it about 1 hour last night, and my thoughts so far is:

Sniper fire-rate is way to slow.
No launching/hammer-jumping sucks major C***. (allthough there might be ways i´m unsure about yet)
The respawn-time is bollox.

It looks good, and runs smooth (at least on my comp). Like others said, the choke-points in Convoy-map is... Well, let´s just hope future maps are better thought out.

Will try it more this evening but unless the 3 first things i wrote in this post are fixed/changed it´s not my kinda game. UT (assault) is fun to play due to all the different options you have when attacking a map. Launches (teamplay), jumps etc... This UT2k4 is just like crappy dm on a nice looking map.

Edit:
Ps.
The double jump feature is just silly imo.

And now, here's Miner for the irony;

The person who created AS-Convoy is in fact willhaven, the one and only creator of AS-Asthenosphere! :bowdown:

Bwhahahaha :lol::rofl::lol:

Ok, that explains all. BUT, i must admit, i liked AS-Convoy a whole lot more then Astenospam...though the spam also aplies on this map.

Since there was no fucking way for the other team to launch or even jump to the main wagon/train, i just spammed the crossing section tunnel with goo, rox, or what else i could find. Same happenend when they went for the final objective. Two peeps man the turrets, rest spamming the tunnel, no way you can get through that.

Edit: Because its impossible to do a decent hammerjump, you cant like on hispeed, get on the roof of that crossing section. At least not with hammerjump, but ill find a way....i hope.

Last edited:
Vortex said:
I think Assault and Onlsaught are both really good, yet the graphics is still the same as 2003, but tbh it doesnt bother me cos the sniper rifle is tha pwnz :d

Downloaded ur aimbot for it yet Vort ?? ;)