Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

onslough or whats its called is fun BUT thats not UT
thats tribes with great graphics....and tribes 1 was fun...the rest not.

vehicles are fun for a moment, but then they suck
its annoying when you stand there and 3 vehicles come around.... type "suicide" ngngngngngng
the map is huge and i think online it would take DAYS to finish this mode....ahhhh

the rest is shit.
assault is total crap. annoying voice dont stop telling me what to do... I KNOW IT BITCH. :shout:
everywhere are arrows pointing to anything....ahhhhh

i'm totaly DISSAPOINTED!
looks like 2k3 with vehicles

the DM map is out of size...walking around in a HUGE building....bah :banghead:

sorry, but thats the worst demo i've ever played....
btw, fps are amazing....really

oh...the only thing nice is that you get a fly-over before the as match....but...... :o

Last edited:
Ok, I as far as I'm concerned....

Good points:

- Sniper rifle!
- Better scaling.
- Original UT menu music :D
- Original UT menu options instead of the simplified shite.
- Decent briefing on Assault.
- Better framerate than on UT2k3
- Assault!

Bad points:

- Lightning "Gun" still exists.
- Avril is the most useless "weapon" known to man.
- No dynamic light on shock balls again(come on epic, do we have to tell you to fix this AGAIN!?)
- Shock combo seems very weak.
- Poor clipping / collision detection in places.
- Stupid growling Slipknot voices.
- Sniper rifle sounds like a toy gun.
- Minigun alt fire sounds like it shoots rice-crispies.
- AS convoy is, incredibly, worse than highspeed.
- No launching or hammer jumping in AS, therefore shit.

Aside from that, It's piss funny to simply jump ontop of an enemy vehicle, and stand on it, because the person/people inside are unable to shoot you.

.... and oh yea, the game is an even bigger pile of shit than UT2004 was. Fuck epic. I'm sticking with the original UT.

gotta admit that contrary to the ut2k3 demo, this (after a very quick look) seems rather nice. will give it a better shot tomorrow

Nephilim said:
gotta admit that contrary to the ut2k3 demo, this (after a very quick look) seems rather nice. will give it a better shot tomorrow
yea, it looks nice at first, but you soon realise it's still shit.

I have been playing for an hour or and i gotta say it looks very promising,it runs smoooooth on my machine,I will deffo be buying the full version :mingun:, could probably host it on 1 of our servers if required :P

yeah i like it, still a bit cluttered with shit, and aint as crisp, but im certainly gonna get it :D

ahh..forget the bad-thing-list:

-sniper firerate is way too slow
-crap lighing gun...
-grenade launcher is totaly useless
-this avril rocket bla weapon is crazy...destroys a vehicle, but an enemy can take a direct hit...sure
-there is not one new item, everything looks the same
-you cant TELEFRAG with the (ugly looking) translocator ...ahhh

man...they must do ALOT
ok, the onslaugh mode is nice and fun for a long moment, but does this is enough to buy it?
hm....
the rest modes are crap

Played it continuously for the last 3hrs+ and I think it's great.
Onslaught is the daddy. Very fast paced, pure action. A n00b team gets slaughtered, just like it should be in a decent gametype. All of the weapons and vehicles are actually useful (and looking class) in certain situations. And the Avril the most useless weapon ? :lol:
It's very good at taking out tanks, buggies and power nodes. Redeemer is better though. :P
The Assault map is fun, for me as a non-league player, but I think that it might be too easy to defend. Looking very good. If it's a variably enough gametype without the UT "exploits" is to be seen.

I like the changes that they did to the interface and serverbrowser. Finally rightclick again. :D w00t :)

More later, maybe

Played it since 8 o'clock and i gotta say im loving it
Ons is great Assault could be great but that map is designed by somone that has NO idea about Assault or how it can be played and as for No choke points thast laughable the whole map is a choke point lol .. but i think that with a better design of maps Assault will be great to play again

Sniper rifle sounds utter crap really weak but its does the job
Mini seems to be really weak
Shock is back as it used to be in my opinion or close to it speed wise .. but it is a bit weak aswell i think
anyway i think UT2K4 is promising .. the voice chat fucked me off tbh loads of Twats shouting and screaming down there mic grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr glad you can turn that off

over all thumbs up .. just hope they get some good AS maps in the final .. or the Comunity designes some ffs LOL coz who ever is designing convey aint got a clue

The quit game functions work great, straight to the desktop no messing. u can tell they spent a lot of time on that feature ;) kudos plebs

I pld onslaught for about an hour, its bollox, theyve stolen the tribes theme but managed to sap all the fun out of it by providing largely useless, easily destructable vehicles that serve no purpose other than to transport you across their oversized maps to get back into some 'i have no idea what im doing' suckage gameplay. if uve pld much of tribes 2 before ull laught ur ass off trying to make comparisons

Assault is amusingly pathetic, can't find anything fun about that at all, albeit its only 1 map i dont like the time based objectives but more importantly I still cannot grasp any spacial awareness in ut2k3(4) at all, dunno if its eye candy, the ability to fly.. i mean dodge, the clunky mechanics or what, the only thing i remotely enjoyed was the DM level but even that was basically as entertaining as it ever was in ut2k3 with nothing major to shout about or worth bothering pursuing long term

its cool they brought the sniper rifle back but they still whacked a great delay on that as well which to me is them saying 'we're still right about it' regardless of the fact it was prolly the biggest gripe with the lg that grenade thing is shite too, and the avril missile thing which is slow bcoz... its so powerful...not.

I really cannot begin to understand why it took them so long to bring this crap out, it offers nothing worth looking at other than piss poorvehicle inclusion that will undoubtedly be surpassed by some independent mod makers who have a clue. After the UT2k3 disaster ppl were saying we were expecting UT again with better gfx... would have been time better spent making ut2k3 more UT-like than adding yet more unoriginal poorly thought out gametypes which ato me, really rent fun in the slightest.

Bollox. 1/10

as for No choke points thast laughable the whole map is a choke point
Yea, I noticed that too. only one way into everything through a small, easily spammed entrance. (esp with shock and flak)

Goods
- Sniper rifle back all be it shite to use
- Shockrifle is almost as was, not just yet though keep working on it :p:
- AS is back, the fact that it's back says f* all about it's gameplay though
- Onslaught might be a bit of fun...

Bads
- Sniper rifle is shite to use, low reload and blinding effect!?
- Combo's seem indeed low powered
- Can someone explain to me what the respawn thing is about? i don't get it why i have to wait in AS to respawn?
- The 10.000 pointers on where to go start to annoy me as hell
- Timed objectives? did any of you ever played that ROAR mod or WHAT?
- After turning off that shite biatch shouting through my ears i can't see whenever an objective is completed. Hell it's hard enough to see it in UT, in the middle of the screen, let alone a small msg box at the top of the screen (perhaps i haven't found the PUT IT BIG ASS IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SCREEN option yet?
- Turrets are gay imo but that'll be just me i guess, while playing it feels more like playing a piano then playing a UT2004 demo you need so many buttons :o

Basically, thanks for recreating Hispeed and doing a worse job then Hispeed. It's norrow, closed, spammy, and basically the people move so fast it's too hard to have a decent fight in such cramped area's...

Onslaught seems like fun though, allthough i do feel like it might get very annoying when you're just SLIGHTLY better then the opposition it'll take AGES to take them down. Besides what does ONS have to do with UT? I still can hardly get my head around the fact people use the name UT to create something almost entirely different then the original.

Everything i liked about it basically where the changes that made it look a bit more like UT, and less UT2003...

edit: after playing the AS map a fair number of times the end conclusion is...

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the fuckin respawn timer, it's a load of BS... i have to wait 7 seconds to spawn on defence, then i take the jumppad, hit the arm as it's being extended by the attacking team mid air, drop to the floor and have to wait ANOTHER 7 seconds to be able to kill someone again, jeez, takes the piss that when you suicide you got to wait 6 seconds to respawn.

basically AS-Convoy is WAY too narrow, it's a narrow version of Hispeed, so it's hard to say if AS is fun when you only got hispeed to play...

the timed objectives are annoying cus def just ends up spamming them... but at least they don't take very long :o

The turrets are obsolutely devastating when there's a good player in em, and shite when it's blocked by a n00b.

basically it ends up playing DM with objectives and LOADS of spam sofar, so what's the exact tactics that are required? it just so obvious the makers NEVER had any clue what makes AS maps work :o

Last edited:
tbh i dont see it much different from ut2k3 and that was shit imo, but i really like the new onslaught mod :>

TBH, that onslaught has been totally ripped of tribes 1/2.

Only difference is you can dodge, woopydo and there is no jet packs.

If you want to play a proper onslaught "game" rather than "mod" go play tribes 2 and you will see how much its been ripped off.

the turrets are too over powered aswell imho
and the more i play Convoy the less i like it tbh .. its been a draw allmost 100% of the time since we started playing it on the private server .. no option for differnt attck routes, small easily spammed entrances and objectives .. and as soon as you get hold of the ASMD from the back of the last car on deffence the map is held .. one in the turret 2 with asmd and theres no chance to get thru at all :(.... the designers of the map have absolutly no idea about assault and took nothing from what has given assault longevity in UT1 .. i just hope that a mod of somsorts is easily made ..for us to apply the tweeks to this game type is desperatly needs ..

Ons i really like .. the more ive played it the more i like it .. still needs some weapons ballancing soted out and the vehicles need to be stronger i played tribes 2 and i prefer ons to tribes i have to say as the weapons are far better and friendlier to me..

the spawn timer i dont mind atall infact i think its a great thing i allways thought UT1 assault would be a batter game with a sawn timer.

Assault is close but its deffinatly from that map NOT got any appeal because its to linier to spammy to full of choke points and to easily held with no alternative routes which from what Willhaven said it wouldnt be .. almost all the BAD points are in but non of the good .fs if you could hammer jump you might be able to jump across at a differnt point but that seems to be out or is that just me ? .. and the boost dodge has gone aswell .. ffs so you carnt use that to jump around .. in all honesty i think they have removed the good points of UT2K3 and not added the good points from ut1 that would have pleased the i hate UT2K3 crowed ..

shame tbh but this is a beta demo and maybe theres better options for game play in the full version .

Last edited:
I take it no-one else has noticed the proposed release map-list for Assault hidden in the demo?

AS-Convoy - This scenario is a recreation of the recovery of the Nexus prototype missiles by the NEG military, after they were stolen by the Hellions. NEG forces pinpointed the location of the cache due to a hidden homing device on these devastating weapons of mass destruction. The exact location of the missiles could only be pinpointed during the short period when they were being transferred from one location to another above ground on Taron, and the military had no choice but to strike at this time.

AS-FallenCity - Following the human/skaarj war, many of Earth's cities lay in ruins. When the New Earth Government attempted to assert its authority over these areas, they were confronted by many rebel groups, often covertly financed by the great corporations, which had established bases in the destroyed cities. This scenario recreates the destruction of a rebel command center by NEG forces. In keeping with the historical battle, the attacker's insertion point is a distance away from the command center, because of the heavy anti-aircraft protection around the bunker.

AS-Glacier - In one of the most daring acts of the mostly covert Corporation Wars, Izanagi Corporation's research facility on Lamdon 3 was raided and destroyed by a strike force from the Axon Research Corporation, despite the protection offered by the elite NEG ThunderCrash force. This scenario recreates that mission. Axon was able to not only destroy the facility, but also retrieve the advanced plasma ion tank under development there. You must infiltrate the facility, steal the plasma ion tank, and destroy the entire facility.

AS-Junkyard - This scenario is based on an infamous episode of a popular Holovision program. In the original episode, two teams of mechanics were competing to make their vehicle operational and escape the junk yard. The unexpected twist occurred when the losing team pulled out some makeshift weapons and pounded the other team into oblivion before they could make their escape. Since there was no explicit rule forbidding violence in the competition, they were declared the winners, and a new Tournament classic was born.

AS-MotherShip - First contact with the Skaarj came during the recovery of the prison transporter Vortex Rikers on Na Pali. Within a year the Skaarj had pushed humanity back to the brink of destruction. This scenario replicates the final battle for Earth, and the stunning victory by humans in the face of almost certain defeat. A Skaarj Mothership orbited the Earth, and rained death upon the planet in preparation for the final landing. In a daring suicide mission, the humans attacked the Skaarj Mothership in small one man fighters, hoping to exploit a flaw in the Mothership defenses their analysis had revealed.

AS-RobotFactory - This scenario is a recreation of the Liandri robot uprising on the mechanical asteroid of LBX-7683 and the subsequent quelling of this rebellion by human forces. LBX-7683 was an outpost for research and development of the next generation of Liandri robots. Liandri's best scientists were able to introduce increasingly sophisticated artificial intelligence into the machines that they designed. Eventually, they rebelled against the humans and took the asteroid as their own, brutally disposing of their creators and mining the rich materials embedded within the rock for their own gain. Liandri's commanders devised a plan to strike directly at the production facility manufacturing the robots. During an all-out assault on the world, a small team was inserted with the sole goal of destroying the AI generators, thereby destroying the ability of the machines to reproduce themselves and ending this uprising.

---- Full Map List (incl. 2k3 maps) ----
(New maps marked with *)

* AS-Convoy
* AS-FallenCity
* AS-Glacier
* AS-Junkyard
* AS-MotherShip
* AS-RobotFactory

- BR-Anubis
- BR-Bifrost
* BR-BridgeOfFate
- BR-Canyon
* BR-Colossus
- BR-DE-ElecFields
- BR-Disclosure
- BR-IceFields
* BR-Serenity
- BR-Skyline
- BR-Slaughterhouse
- BR-TwinTombs

* CTF-1on1-Joust
* CTF-AbsoluteZero
* CTF-Avaris
* CTF-BridgeOfFate
- CTF-Chrome
- CTF-Citadel
* CTF-Colossus
- CTF-DE-ElecFields
- CTF-DE-LavaGiant2
- CTF-December
- CTF-DoubleDammage
- CTF-Face3
* CTF-FaceClassic
- CTF-Geothermal
* CTF-Grassyknoll
* CTF-Grendelkeep
* CTF-January
- CTF-Lostfaith
- CTF-Magma
- CTF-Maul
* CTF-MoonDragon
- CTF-Orbital2
* CTF-Smote
* CTF-TwinTombs

* DM-1on1-Albatross
- DM-1on1-Crash
* DM-1on1-Desolation
* DM-1on1-Idoma
* DM-1on1-Irondust
- DM-1on1-Mixer
* DM-1on1-Roughinery
* DM-1on1-Serpentine
* DM-1on1-Spirit
* DM-1on1-Squader
* DM-1on1-Trite
- DM-Antalus
- DM-Asbestos
- DM-Compressed
* DM-Corrugation
* DM-Curse4
- DM-DE-Grendelkeep
- DM-DE-Ironic
- DM-DE-Osiris2
* DM-Deck17
* DM-DesertIsle
- DM-Flux2
- DM-Gael
* DM-Gestalt
* DM-Goliath
* DM-HyperBlast2
- DM-Icetomb
- DM-Inferno
- DM-Injector
- DM-Insidious
- DM-IronDeity
* DM-Junkyard
- DM-Leviathan
* DM-Metallurgy
* DM-Morpheus3
- DM-Oceanic
- DM-Phobos2
- DM-Plunge
* DM-Rankin
* DM-Rrajigar
- DM-Rustatorium
* DM-Sulphur
- DM-TokaraForest
- DM-TrainingDay

* DOM-Access
* DOM-Aswan
* DOM-Atlantis
* DOM-Conduit
- DOM-Core
- DOM-Junkyard
- DOM-OutRigger
* DOM-Renascent
- DOM-Ruination
- DOM-ScorchedEarth
- DOM-SepukkuGorge
- DOM-Suntemple

* ONS-ArcticStronghold
* ONS-Crossfire
* ONS-Dawn
* ONS-Dria
* ONS-FrostBite
* ONS-Primeval
* ONS-RedPlanet
* ONS-Severance
* ONS-Torlan

Last edited:
Rich said:
the turrets are too over powered aswell imho
and the more i play Convoy the less i like it tbh .. its been a draw allmost 100% of the time since we started playing it on the private server ...

Did you know that you can destroy the minniturret, and when you did could you still not manage to get the end ob? other then that i fully agree with everything you said^ which on the topic of UT2004 is an exciting new experience :moon: