Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

they just removed the hammerjumping so mapping would be easier
i just find it strange that in ons you dont have the rl but they do put in a redeemer.

so strange that during ut2k3 they didnt want to change movement cos it was part of the game, and now they remove parts of the game cos they find it too difficult to make maps with hammerjumping

NOS said:
I think that UT2K3 is trying to compete with half-life 2 (pff)

They released a game last year, when hl2 was supposed to be released, then it was supposedly moved to april 04 and here is 2k4, so will ut stop releasing games when hl2 comes out? But having played both of them I wont change my opinion that HL2 > UT2K3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10......... ANY day
Trying to compete with HL2? I doubt it.
Sorry but there's nothing to compare here.

UT is a deathmatch game.
HL is a 'realistic' fps.

Comparing them is like comparing Quake 3 to Rainbow Six. You can't, because they're completely different.
Half-Life is NOTHING like UT. In Half Life, you die in roughly 2 seconds when someone is pointing a machine gun at you, where as in UT you can run around blasting away and take 20 hits in the face before dying.

I know this is a bit of an exageration, but:
UT = Arcade Game. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM! DIE MOTHERFUCKER!

HL = Simulation. Careful.... Careful.... Careful.... BLAM!!!!! ... Careful.... Careful....

Humph said:
HL = Simulation. Careful.... Careful.... Careful.... BLAM!!!!! ... Careful.... Careful....

ye CS = HL init, its not really that much of a realistic game, after all you can do gauss jumps and stuff.

Sauron said:
ye CS = HL init, its not really that much of a realistic game, after all you can do gauss jumps and stuff.
Well, the question here is, if such a gun were real, would it create enough backward force to push you into the air? ;)

Humph said:
Trying to compete with HL2? I doubt it.
Sorry but there's nothing to compare here.

Then I think that Epic is trying to hitch off of half-life 2s future sucess, cuz when it comes out, its gunna totally introduce alot of new ppl to fps, and they probz gunna go buy Doom 3 as well :p

i don't think so. i will buy hl2 for certain, but i havent bought ut2k3 and wont buy it nor ut2k4. at least the hype it not working for me than :]

NOS said:
Then I think that Epic is trying to hitch off of half-life 2s future sucess, cuz when it comes out, its gunna totally introduce alot of new ppl to fps, and they probz gunna go buy Doom 3 as well :p
Or maybe they're just going to release a game every year because they know there are people who will buy every single one, making them a shitload of money.
A fine example of this sort of strategy is "The Sims" and it's seemingly relentless quest to ram itself onto the harddrive of every gamer out there.

and it's seemingly relentless quest to ram itself onto the harddrive of every gamer out there.

Just like the way you make sure your opinion is forced into the memory of every member of these forums? :mad: Jeez man, talk about a stuck record, just stfu if you don't like something.

Reactions: Ðeadßoy
Doc_EDo said:
Teh Ghey Cliffy nails it down:

http://gamespy.com/interviews/march04/cliffyb/index3.shtml
Duh Cliff! What else can it be!? :shout: :poke:

From the interview:
GameSpy: UT's "Assault" mode was brought back for UT2004, but it's significantly beefed up this time around. What were some of the key improvements made over the UT version?
Cliffy B: First and foremost, we've limited "hammer jumping" so that players cannot hop to unexpected parts of the levels. Second, we've limited objectives so they must be completed in the order in which they were designed. Third, we made "where to go" far easier in this game. You spawn and a voiceover says, "Go here and blow up this door," coupled with on-screen indicators. When an objective is complete you have the option to teleport to the next/new spawn point. UT2004 Assault really plays like a new game because of all of this sweetness!
How to kill Assault imo...

wonder how the combined profit margins of 2003 and 2004 are gonna compare to the profits HL2 will produce....

they'll add up sooner or later... i mean they will prolly get to ut2k10 b4 hl3 comes out :o

and what was politically incorrect with cliff and his bling bling? :|

Unseen said:
they'll add up sooner or later... i mean they will prolly get to ut2k10 b4 hl3 comes out :o

forget hl3, itll be that time b4 hl2 is released :P

-CrackKing- said:
Just like the way you make sure your opinion is forced into the memory of every member of these forums?

jeez give him a break CK. He's identified a very important point that affects us all. When games companies start trying to sell their software to people who want to buy it where the hell where it all end? It's almost as if they're running a business and trying to make money and be successful while at the same time giving people something that they actually seem to want.

Personally, I'm disgusted. Humph for president.

Humph has been banned from the UT2004 forums because he wouldn't STFU. It's all very well expressing your opinion of the game, but then to slag off other people who have differing opinions about it, time and time again, is highly annoying and doesn't help the debate stay on topic.

MadMax said:
How to kill Assault imo...
Totally agree. Completing in order - my ass. The objective is the final objective, all else is decorations. How u get it is entirely secondary, but u *may* choose to get all the secondary objectives in order first. 'cliffy' seems to be the kind of noob who cant stand that ppl think for themselves and thus forces him to not just cover the objective that is currently next 'according to design'. Maybe he just plays too much with the bots offline and doesnt get out much and meet thinking opponents online. I mean, Mazon must be a complete nightmare for him. Ppl with even minimal skill can get reactor door+crystal before chains... good lord better write some code that locks those 2 objectives until chains are gone....

Limiting hammerjumping to counter "hop to unexpected parts of the levels"? Even most standard maps have at least 1-2 places where the design almost says 'look at me, im just the right height for a single hammerjump so u can take this route instead'. Examples: mazon gate+chains, hispeed cars(roof height), guardia garage door switch, overlord in the cave, oceanfloor high walkways, whole bunch of jumps on frigate, rook (proper jump from steps to lib-switch).
Not to mention most custom maps have some features put in just for launch opportunities. Saying that *that* isnt part of the design and is a bug is just complete wank.
Imagine what would happen if the jump+launch capabilities of the hammer were removed from the league and the roxlauncher couldnt launch either. Maybe some of u really oldschoolers knwo what it was like before lauches&hammerjumps were discovered, but i think most of us would find the game will lose its appeal for the great majority of current maps.
But if u go trippin about this meaning u have to fight your way in 'like ur supposed to' (like those excusing hidecarcasses), just f0 to somewhere else like DM (& LMS, DOM, CTF) if fighting is all u want. U all know many maps would end in 2x full def ties without launches.

And do u for one second really believe this makes it better? No matter the amount of signs and shit, prevention of alternate routes, etc. the 'ignorant hordes' wont get the clue and will be thoroughly run into the ground unless they jsut have to use mindless spam like guardia doorspam. Dont waste yourself thinking ur doing them a favor. Do a training map where they can be taught familiarity with the assault/gametype-specific aspects, like objective types and basic strategy. Never on full maps. There u need the hard school without someone to hold ur hand.
Forget those 'did you know' style hints like those vague tips e.g. displayed while loading ons-torlan. Script a demonstration for some map and have it run through the possibilities - with *detailed* explanations, thatd work better by leaps and bounds and be far less annoying (can *you* get rid of those mapload hints?).
Your appraoch to assault reminds me of a thoroughly evil principle that was once the norm in our schoolsystem, though i dont expect u to know about it: What not everyone can learn, nobody may learn. Im reminded of it because u seemingly want to neuter all attempts at creative thinking - "do it this *one and only* way or not at all".

Oh btw cliff: levels are something u get in tetris. Call it a map or scenario, but not level...
"When an objective is complete you have the option to teleport to the next/new spawn point." Hmm, yeah, didnt i see this thing somewhere before? Nah, We just suicide/die and get the new spawnpoint. But seing that *all* the standard(i.e. not custon) assault maps always make attackers use the same spawnpoints all the time *except* overlord (boilerroom), i can see u think thats a new thing.... dont mind u want to market ur product, but its too cheap to call a old feature new "sweetness".