Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
good thing i put a blocking volume over the ceiling of the entire map for the final version then :)
U missed it and all the other exploits as well :P

Mark Rein said:
UT2004 went gold at appproximately 10AM eastern time this morning! Atari tells me that they're going to extraordinary lengths to manufacture and ship the game to have it in on store shelves on March 15th.

Bart said:
In UT2k3 it's possible, but u can't do it in UT2k4 anymore.
not troo

its just ASSault that has been "blessed" with the nerved hammer.
I been hammer jumping there and the only usefull one is getting from the truck with the arm to the extended platform to avoid spam...

You see Willhaven ..that map you made is spammy and to avoid it you need alternative routes. Not different routes that ALL lead to one spamzor corridor...or one objective where you have to sit for an hour while at least 3-4 guys SPAM ur ass with rox...

Your answer would be "yes, you will have to fight.."
a fight is fair when its an equal battle..and the battles on assault are NEVER equal you know why?
Because U dont know where the opponent is going but he VERY well knows where you want to go...
THATs the difference and thats where spam comes in. Because there is no choice as an attacker and especcialy on convoy and astenosphere. You have to get thru that "corridor" and you cant because c*nts are givin you some nasty blind spam...

no alternatives = no additional skill requiered (read spam / read hammerjumping / rocket launchin etc) = linearity = boring = death of assault2004

Assault is teh pwn.... it just feels like ... err... what was that map with the train called again?... :o.... the very first time I played it on a public server. Shitloads of sniping newbs, a few people with fancy moves. And it ROCKED. Just like 04 does.

UT2004 is the future... No talk of upgrading the league to 2k4? I'd be back then.... :D

Just so you know, a Barton2500 and a GF5900 suffice, you can crank every single variable to max and still get amazing framerates.

Just gotta learn that pussy thingy they nowadays call the rocket launcher..... :rocket:

Just so you know, a Barton2500 and a GF5900 suffice, you can crank every single variable to max and still get amazing framerates.

no shit it would suffice LOL

Japster said:
Demo has only medium textures, i doubt u can crank everything up and expect good fps on final release really.
So what, it still looks gorgeous :bunny:

And watching the screenshots only one thing comes to my mind: OHNOZ! Who the fuck still wants to play old UT? Although I agree on the rocketlaunch/hammerjump issue, the hammerlaunch and the double rocketlaunch made the gametype too esoteric for the casual player, in effect dooming the gametype to a nice. With 04 you have still a lot of funny moves, interesting shortcuts etc; Maybe someone should write up a rocktelaunch/hammerjump mod and there you go, there remains nothing to be disliked about 04. Except for the fact that you have to break old routines with ancient maps you can play blind, in the dark with one hand tied to your back only your nose on the movement keys.

change. evolve. rise. Don't end like those patethic CS dudes, still playing de_dust for the next 20 years....

Keyol45743241 said:
Assault is teh pwn.... it just feels like ... err... what was that map with the train called again?... :o.... the very first time I played it on a public server. Shitloads of sniping newbs, a few people with fancy moves. And it ROCKED. Just like 04 does.

UT2004 is the future... (<--- get real) No talk of upgrading the league to 2k4? (<<--- HELL NO)
UT2004 is the future... (<--- get real)
No talk of upgrading the league to 2k4? (<<--- HELL NO)

as 2k4 is a piece of crap
nuff said

if something is the future than its Pariah

Tuesday, March 9th, 2004
Digital Extremes Goes Beyond Unreal
by alien8 at 1:02 PM EST (Industry News) [ 24 Comments ] #5088

Have you been wondering what Digital Extremes has been up to lately? Well, wonder no more - they've released an official press release today including some screenshots of their upcoming FPS, Pariah:
DIGITAL EXTREMES GOES BEYOND UNREAL WITH NEW GAME AND NEW PUBLISHER
Groove Games Snags Digital Extremes’ Next First-Person Action Blockbuster - Pariah

TORONTO – March 9, 2004 – Top independent game development studio, Digital Extremes and global interactive game publisher, Groove Games today announced their partnership on a new first-person action game based on an original intellectual property created and owned by Digital Extremes. Best known for creating the multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise, Digital Extremes has set the standard for fine-tuned gameplay and technologically impressive graphics in the first-person action genre. With such award-winning hits as Unreal Tournament and Unreal Championship, Digital Extremes is looking beyond the Unreal universe and is working to raise the bar again. The new game, ominously named Pariah™, has been quietly in production for the past two years and is currently planned for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft and the personal computer.

Groove Games, an up-and-upcoming Canadian-based publisher flew in under the radar to sign the worldwide publishing rights to Pariah, beating out several of the bigger traditional publishers also bidding on it. Groove will be publishing the game in North America and has licensed Pariah to Hip Interactive Europe to distribute and publish the title in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

“After seeing Pariah in action and hearing the plans Digital Extremes has for it, we knew we had to be a part of it,” said Jon Walsh, CEO of Groove Games. “Digital Extremes has a tremendous track record for creating incredibly entertaining games, therefore we know how impressive Pariah is going to be when it’s ready to be unleashed on the masses.”

“Working with Groove Games is a breath of fresh air,” expressed James Schmalz, founder and creative director of Digital Extremes. “They clearly share our vision for creating the best game possible, which is our intention for every game we make. Pariah is our most ambitious project to date and with Groove’s support, it will reach its full potential.”

A few details on Pariah have been revealed through the official website, www.pariahgame.com. At the site, several screenshots showing a first look of the Xbox version of the game can be found along with a countdown to the launch of the full website and a spot to register to receive additional details on the game as they’re released.

The game focuses on a robust immersive storyline that weaves survival elements into the traditional run-and-gun style of first-person action games. Unsurprising will be the graphic marvel and fine-tuned gameplay of Pariah, a trademark gamers have come to expect from any Digital Extremes game. Not straying too far from their roots, Digital Extremes is building Pariah with the latest version of the technologically powerful Unreal engine by Epic Games.

Additional details on the game including the release date will be revealed at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in May.

Wow - this announcement certainly came out of nowhere! I guess this is why DE has been under the radar for the last while. I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to E3 to see what two years worth of work has produced so far!

For the full press release, check out Digital Extremes' site here, and have a boo at Pariah's official site here.

ripped from Beyondunreal.com like always

At least you have arguments which make sense. Well... I'm gonna play the NEW assault. Hope to see you guys there.

Bye...

Nuke=+MoD+=(ret.)

Keyol45743241 said:
change. evolve. rise. Don't end like those patethic CS dudes, still playing de_dust for the next 20 years....
I'll change when someone releases a decent game.

SXPower said:
UT2004 is the future... (<--- get real)
No talk of upgrading the league to 2k4? (<<--- HELL NO)

as 2k4 is a piece of crap
nuff said

...and you being the owner of this league get to make that decision.

iwe actually found that i enjoy playing the game, maybe just for change...

some points that i'd like to make though:
1. vechicles in the full version maps... imo they shoulda kept em in onslaught fs :P if i'd want vehicles i would go play tribes or unreal xmp :o
2. with removing hammerjumps they tried to nullify the steep learning curve... what iwe noticed tho is that its just like it always was what comes to that; if there are only noobs on the server i can take the map in 2-3 minutes, then defend the first objective full time, either by spam at it or by grabbing rockets from the first person i kill and kill attackers near their spawn..

the second point here is that assault still requires loads of map knowledge to master the mode... usually there is one route or another that i can use to sneak past defenders who aren't that familiar with the map, only objective where this isn't possible would be the rear door thingie or whatever it is called (the one b4 side doors switch)

as a third point comes the shield gun: it's both useful and annoying :o protecting u from sniper bullets, mini and pulse heck even against rockets, flak and bio; iwe seen a m8 who really masters the thing use it to get the rear door switch with about 3 guys spamming bio right at him... the possibilities with this weapon are wide, and something that always just doesnt fit into assault the way i'd want it..

edit: so the point of this post was that assault still will draw the same kind of people as before (the ones who wonder how it was done, not the ones getting pissed and leaving) except that it might not interest them for as long because there simply isn't anything new to find after a few weeks...

Last edited:
SXPower said:
if something is the future than its Pariah
ripped from Beyondunreal.com like always
Sounds like singleplayer, hope im wrong.
DE > epic :P

Japster said:
Sounds like singleplayer, hope im wrong.
DE > epic :P

think its single yeah hopfully will be multiplayer but the screens that i have seen look sweet to bad i cant go to E3

Pariah is for XBox too, dosent exite me too much seeing that especially after the Deus Ex 2 farce. Ive not played many cross platform games ive wanted to play more than once after finishing it.

I think that UT2K3 is trying to compete with half-life 2 (pff)

They released a game last year, when hl2 was supposed to be released, then it was supposedly moved to april 04 and here is 2k4, so will ut stop releasing games when hl2 comes out? But having played both of them I wont change my opinion that HL2 > UT2K3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10......... ANY day