Types of ram...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Spirit

<b>*********.net Treasurer</b>
Jul 29, 2001
Cambridge, UK
This may seem like a stupid question, but are there different types of ram for AMD and XP mobos? I currently have 3 sticks of 512mb PC2700 DDR 333 - 2 of these were previously used in a AMD system and the 3rd in my P4 system. I wanted to swap the ram over and use the 1gb in my P4 system, however it doesnt seem to work at all - after swapping the ram the system just doesn't boot at all...

I've been told by a couple of ppl that it is because the ram is AMD ram and therefore wont work in a pentium system. I had never heard of this before, and after looking at various online shops cannot see any different specification in ram descriptions for different systems. I know all the ram is working fine, as all the sticks work in their respective systems...

Any comments / suggestions? Thanks :D

Intel and AMD boards use the same ram. There is however sometimes limitations on the amount and speed of ram you can fit to a board, ie the board may take 3sticks of pc2100 or 2sticks of pc2700, Bios updates sometimes fix compatability problems with ram so have you tried looking to see if there is a suitable update?

Just checked your board, it will only support 4 banks of memory. slot 1 is allocated 2 banks, slot 2 and 3 share the remaining 2 avail banks, that means if your ram is double sided it should go into slot1 and 2 or slot 1 and 3, 2 and 3 wouldnt work

Last edited:
Ah okies :)

My mobo is a gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra - has 3 memory slots, I'm not sure on the limitations but it's a good mobo so I don't think 1gb will be a problem. Not sure if the ram is double sided or not, is it as simple as seeing if there are chips on either side of the stick or not to tell if it is?

edit: thnx for checking my mobo - I'll have another look at lunch time and make sure I am putting the ram in slots 1 & 2, although I'm fairly sure I was anyway :) If that doesn't work I'll have a search for any bios updates :D

Check ur email btw MyM ;)

Last edited:
Read the editing message dog:

"Last edited by MeetYourMaker on 05-11-2003 at 10:45."

He edited his post whilst I was typing my reply, previously he hadn't checked my specific board and just answered generally. I have now edited my post to answer his edit as well.

Where has that "think before you post" smiley gone? :D :p:

MeetYourMaker said:
Intel and AMD boards use the same ram.

Wut ?

What about Rdram? Amd doesn´t support that.
Although DDR could be used by both systems.

ok i should have been more specific :lol: picky, his AMD board and his P4 board use the same type of RAM, thats from looking at his system info and seeing he's listed a P4 and PC2700.

MeetYourMaker said:
thats from looking at his system info and seeing he's listed a P4 and PC2700.

Aye, right. Never thought about checking his system-info.

Thought you were explaining rams in general :)

geez spirit :p:

a spirit post: "can u lot look up google for me, I can't be arsed" fs :p:

Last edited:
:rolleyes: contradicting yourself again foxy...

If you thought about it, it would take less time to use google than to start a new thread here, so clearly starting a thread isn't the lazy option! I tried google, and although it came up with a bit of information I didn't find anything that specifically answered my questions so I came here instead :D

now go back to chasing sheep fs :p:

sheep.jpg

lol nice one Spirit......at least there's one person on forums still who likes a bit of banter.

I'm impressed you managed to work out how to use google actually, and what's with ur obsession with sheep, u smelly old goats scrote? :p:

foxy said:
lol nice one Spirit......at least there's one person on forums still who likes a bit of banter.

I'm impressed you managed to work out how to use google actually, and what's with ur obsession with sheep, u smelly old goats scrote? :p:

oi you :P

afaik it doesn't say in any manual whether AMD and Intel mobo's use different types of ram, it just tells you what to do with the ram when you have it :rolleyes: