Tweaks poll

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Tweaks

• 1. :nono: BLOCK: Disabling screen shake.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • 1. :nod: ALLOW: Disabling screen shake.

Votes: 64 41.6%
  • 2. :nono: BLOCK: Replacing rockets textures.

Votes: 107 69.5%
  • 2. :nod: ALLOW: Replacing rockets textures.

Votes: 47 30.5%
  • 3. :nono: BLOCK: Replacing other weapons/projectiles textures.

Votes: 81 52.6%
  • 3. :nod: ALLOW: Replacing other weapons/projectiles textures.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • 4. :nono: BLOCK: Modifying sounds volume/radius.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • 4. :nod: ALLOW: Modifying sounds volume/radius.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • 5. :nono: BLOCK: Disabling ambient sounds.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • 5. :nod: ALLOW: Disabling ambient sounds.

Votes: 49 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Butthe thing about the 'leave it as it is' argument is that you have to draw the line either at all tweaks or no tweaks, cos there can't be any in between otherwise people will disagree on where in between the line should be drawn. So if you ban all tweaks you have no hammerjump binds, no shock combo binds or ripper binds or coloured teamsay or blah blah. So I'm prepared to let people us whatever binds they want as long as I'm allowed to do the same. If a bind is found to be blatantly illegal such as letting people see through walls or see or hear things they shouldn't normally be able to then yeah ban those - otherwise let people use whatever ones they feel they need to let them play better or have mroe fun.

well iv voted to block most of em, but everyone is moaning soooo much that its not even worth blocking any of em lol. May aswell let people play with them if they want too, and if people think they give an unfair advantage there is nothing stopping them for using them too. I won't use tweaks ever cos i like the way my ut plays, and i guess the people with tweaks like the way their ut plays too, so let them use tweaks.

:lol: Tweaks and hammer binds are totally different.
A tweak is a change in a property for certain class in the game, a property you are not meant to change in first place. If these properties were made configurable (defined as config vars in uscript) they would be stored in some ini file, but they are not, hence you need to load the tweaks everytime you run the game.

Furthermore tweaks shouldn't work online: they do because of a bug in UT which lets you carry on the changes you made offline to online games. Why do you think that you need to load them before joining a server? ... Tweaks make use of a security flaw ^^ to gain advantages. "Hacks" or "exploits" is a more proper term for them.

However not all the tweaks are malicious. f.ex. text and some of the FPS tweaks.
We thought formatted text was interesting for teamplay which is what assault is about, also to make the fonts readable at higher resolutions, so we made a feature of it in 136.
Some FPS tweaks will be an option in 136 menus too.

-

Poll's results: it's obvious the community wants screen-shake, rockets texture and any kind of change in sounds to be blocked, so they will be...

As for weapons/projectiles textures there is a a small advantage for the 'BLOCK' option but it's a virtual tie.
Blocking them all will make half the community complain, allowing them will make the other half complain too.

Best solution is to block them all (BLOCK option won the voting anyway) then creating options in 136 menus for some alternative textures. Althought it will bring a whole new debate and we've already delayed the release enough because of tweaks discussions :\

Let's try to make it fast please --> Here

_

Last edited:
Psychotic said:
Furthermore tweaks shouldn't work online: they do because of a bug in UT which lets you carry on the changes you made offline to online games. Why do you think that you need to load them before joining a server? ... Tweaks make use of a security flaw ^^ to gain advantages. "Hacks" or "exploits" is a more proper term for them.
Quite true; the Set command was disabled during online play in ut43x iirc:

"disallow setting of actor properties using the "set" command on clients. Prevents a whole class of cheats."

in what category would you put the tweak for removing corpses / making corpses disapear?
i think that should be blocked... cuz it makes faint death totally useless...
i see it like a cheat if you kill somebody and his body disappears.

that means... sneaking in, is down to less than 50% i think...

Only way to remove should be shoting at it.
what you think?

1) feigning death is gay
2) even without using this corpse tweak it happens to me that i kill myself with rockets when i accidentaly hit a flying chunk, i imagine you suicide a lot more often if you cant even see the chunks at all.

Sauron said:
1) feigning death is gay
2) even without using this corpse tweak it happens to me that i kill myself with rockets when i accidentaly hit a flying chunk, i imagine you suicide a lot more often if you cant even see the chunks at all.
wtf? suiciding because of flying gibs?
Anyway, go to menu, and set gore level to 'reduced'. Then u just get corpses, but no gibs (and the associated wealth of blood being sprayed everywhere). Imo i play better without gibs, but think that has much to do with slowdown due to the mound of texturing the bloodsplat decals require.
besides u just say feign is gay because u dont want to have to check corpses/bodies. Just deal with it. Been ages since i got any foulmouthing for shooting feigners on public, most ppl think its good fun even if they are discovered, as long as u dont give them abuse for trying.
[edit] as far as i can tell, gibs are clientside only, so they should not be there for u to collide with if u have it set to reduced. I.e.: never had probelms with gibs online after i started with reduced, afair[edit]

Last edited:
Largo said:
besides u just say feign is gay because u dont want to have to check corpses/bodies. Just deal with it. Been ages since i got any foulmouthing for shooting feigners on public, most ppl think its good fun even if they are discovered, as long as u dont give them abuse for trying.

you know a lot about me, xcept that its complete bullshit. ive never been fooled by feigners, its not hard to tell if a body is actually dead or a feigner.
its simply gay because you dont figth ur way thru, you simply hide and wait. and after all its a shooter game, not "The Sims: Hide and Seek".

feign death is even a part of UT how come thats gay?
if someone hides and get passed you that shows u didnt pay attention really!

This is just stupid, just block the *major* tweaks.. as in the brightness, shake etc. Leave everything else alone (textures etc) cause it is harmless. I change textures all the time cause i like it to be abit different cause lets face it ut does get boring especially if you play it a lot and i havent had any advantages using different textures. The only advantages are the brightness tweak, the white rockets n shit, removing dead bodies tweaks. Stop bitching bout the tweaks and just block the major ones.

Oh and i find it funny that half the people who havent used the tweaks are the ones who think its cheating and have no idea weither it helps or not. If the people in uta want to be like this we may aswell start only using 1 crosshair, same skin, netspeed and fov's. Pathetic really.

KiNG said:
agreed
Using such tweaks feels cheap imo, it's nothing more than a way of screwing other people over. Let's be honest now when arguing over it, the reason you want to keep tweaks 'legal' is because you frag more efficiently with it, you escape from situations more easily etc... you get your enjoyment from playing your best and put simply you're afraid to lose your advantage.
That's all the 'YES TO TWEAKS' crowd are really concerned about, their skill level dropping - (no point arguing it gives you an advantage, otherwise there would be no point using it).
At the end of the day, I'ld rather play UT Assault than UT Assault User.ini tweaks contest.

Nice sayed and totally agreed by all that this is truth

yea, cuz not having this is gonna drop our level of skill.....
tweakS.jpg

:whatever:

sooooooo why are you fools still arguing when the result has already been decided?

You muppets :P