Survivor Night #3 - The Match!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
-=-=-

SURVIVOR NIGHT #3

-=-=-

Welcome to html's Survivor #3! Enough talk, let's meet the people responsible!

Presented by - html :hm:
Shouted by - Banshee :ban:
UTV'ed, reported, insulted by - Me :done:
Mutated by - Timo :stupid:
Everything elsed by - MyM :calm:

Incidentally, this match will be played in honour of the lovely MyM :cuddle: without whose patience and almighty admining leetage we would all be exactly as immature and confused as we are today. He is the face of Survivor Night #3! :coolfip:

8076Mym.jpg

-=-=-

THE PLAYERS

-=-=-

Next, we must give a thought to the 24 Survivor Night #3 gladiators, the assortment of mystified clowns who will be erring their way through several hours of their lives for our amusement :arsemiss: In the absence of XB there will be no selection headaches :hangover: along the lines of 'choose a number between 0 and 80 million, don't tell anyone what it is, including yourself, add 53, divide by trousers, pick a card, any card...'. No, in furtherance of html's personality cult, he will simply pick the first 24 players to kiss his pucker, then he will have the rest shot in the fundament. Harsh but fair.

Anyway, lining up for this event are many of the usual suspects, plus one or two surprises and / or blasts from the past. Players of potentially unusual note must include Farac, back by popular indifference, Squirrel, D1sc, ex-captain of the 2009 AS cup, Riotz, Ase, and of course MyM himself. But the final 24 will be chosen on the night, so be there!

As for you poor unfortunates who fail to make it into the finished lineup, I invite you to join html, Banshee and myself for the live broadcast on irc, UTV and shoutcast :shout: for all the failage as it happens. Details can be found at the bottom of this post :thumb:

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE PLAN

-=-=-

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of Survivor Assault, this section will hopefully illuminate you. I have never watched or played in one, so all I know comes from html's posts on the two previous nights he hosted. I may make mistakes, feel free to correct me - it all helps :love:

What is Survivor Assault?

It is a game about decisions. You don't know who anyone else is and they don't know who you are (unless someone's cheating :angry:) and so, playing anonymously, you have to make sure that one of two things happens in every round. Either get yourself the immunity or don't be the weakest link in the team when it comes to selection time.

What are immunities?

Immunities are the deciding factors in each round. They determine which players survive, at least until the next map. There are three types of immunities:

Primary - This is the one most players will be striving to reach in every round. A primary can always be achieved by triggering a certain (usually known) attack objective. Therefore, if everyone knows that Charge 4 in Bridge will get them a primary, they will all be fighting to reach it before anyone else does. The winner of the primary gets to kick a player from his own team, while he himself is exempt from rejection (unless he votes himself out).
Secondary - Similar to a primary immunity, but less desirable and harder to cling onto. If the primary in Bridge is Charge 4 and the secondaries are Main Gate, Door Pressure, Final... then anyone getting one of the secondaries is always under threat from the fact that the primary is still up for grabs. Secondaries only apply if the primary objective is not reached in that round, a common occurrence in the second round of a map in which the first round was attacked quickly. If the primary is not reached, whichever player got the highest secondary survives, hence the objective hierarchy - ie. Final is greater than Door Pressure is greater than Main Gate.
Permanent - This ensures that the receiving player gets through to the 3v3 map - in other words he is safe from being kicked by anyone until then. These are fun but next to impossible to get. A player with a permanent immunity does not gain the power from it to kick anyone, he is merely exempt from being kicked. Permanent immunities do not stack and the only way around them is to get one and then get a map immunity and use it to vote yourself off :P

What if I don't get an immunity?

Then you'd better make sure you are not dragging your team down. Be the best fragger, the best launcher, the best backman. Be useful (hi self). When it comes to selection time and someone else is doing the selecting, a higher frag count or a successful spell of launches can prove the difference between staying and going. It's all about impressing the people around you - this can be enough to survive without an immunity.

What if I do get an immunity?

Then you're the man. It's up to you to boot a player from your own team in order to make it stronger than the other team. Of course you ideally won't know whom you're kicking, so it behooves you to watch what everyone else is doing around you, in order to make the right decision when the time comes.

What's so special about the 3v3?

This is where things get tough. If you have reached the 3v3 map and you manage to get the immunity you will be in a position to choose your team-mate for the impending 2v2 maps. You must choose from the 4 survivors not in possession of a map immunity - ie. not yourself and not the opposing player with his round's immunity. In fact, if you win the 3v3 you get first choice. The two players not selected fail to survive and the four survivors go through to the money stages :D Added to this, the immune player from the losers of the 3v3 gets to choose the first map of the 2v2 stage, after which the other team chooses the next map, and they alternate from there, win or lose. And the first team to win 3 maps wins :mosher:

What's the point of trying to win a map once someone has the primary immunity?

Very good question, but as far as I can understand it the point is to continue to impress people. Bear with me here. Just because someone got Charge 4, that doesn't mean you can't set a leet sniper tower launch to the detonator. Another way to look at it is that the first attack round is important past the primary immunity because it cuts down the time the other team will have in which to reach their primary, meaning a weaker player may be more likely to get the immunity via a secondary objective, thus making their team weaker by not eliminating himself. I hope you follow that. And second round attacks are important for the same reason. There's also satisfaction from beating the other team and the importance of not allowing any one defender to get a permanent immunity through the def frags rule (more on this later). Immune or not, try hard at all times, it can't hurt and will usually help.

Soooo.... how do I win and what happens afterwards?

Well, you win by being in the winning 2v2 team. The 2v2 is considered a separate match, really, and the maps will be decided on the day. At this point the players are forced to reveal their identities, and all immunities and other considerations cease to matter. TS can be used, binds can be enabled, etc. As for what happens next, prize details are noted below :naughty: And the winners of the 2v2 section will forever be remembered as among the universe's greatest SURVIVORS, along with styrofoam and cockroaches :clap:

Wtf?

If some or none of the above is clear then read html's post or XB's post, you baffled ponce.

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE RULES

-=-=-

There are loads of these, so I've broken them up a bit.

SIGNUP RULES

- Agree to join the server html tells you to join (same machine as pug server provided by MyM)
- Agree to wear the MyM skin and face (male soldier, Raw Steel) and you can also use his face / voice if you want (Archon)
- Agree to wear a two digit number instead of your usual nick (choose one yourself, if the one you want is taken when you join the server reconnect with another one)
- Agree to play the maps chosen for the event, including one or several non-league maps
- Agree to follow html's ongoing admin directions

PLAY RULES

- The warmup map will be two rounds but will not feature any eliminations or immunities
- Each round will have a countdown of 2 minutes to allow for complications
- While playing you cannot change your skin, face or nick (NO NAME CHANGE BINDS)
- The wonderful Timo has created a mutator (downloaded automatically from the server) which will mask ping and netspeed, so changes to these will mean nothing to anyone else
- No sharing your identity privately with friends to make sure you don't get eliminated - please, just don't do this, it's lame, wastes everyone's time and defeats the whole purpose of what we're all doing here :nono:
- No teamspeak (UTA TS will be open to you once you are eliminated from the match - you can join before then but there's not much point, since it will just be me and html arguing)
- No captains (tacs may be given by anyone via teamsay but there is no rule that says they must be followed)
- This is not a rule, but you might want to avoid or disable any binds which identify you to others, ie. :dj: or :clap: Or you might want to use them to confuse people :P
- All other usual league rules apply, we all know them, no laming, bug abusing, excessive verbal abuse, etc. - keep it friendly and clean :)
- There will be only four permanent immunities allowed throughout the match (two per team); once this total has been reached no further permanent immunities will count
- In-game absences (ie. disconnects, crashes, ragequits) will be ruled upon by html during the match

OTHER MORE OBVIOUS RULES

- Turn up on time and stay there, at least until you're eliminated - no leaving halfway through the event to go to a weevil's circumcision or any such bs, you signed up, you're committed, see it through
- Have a Paypal account ready unless you're Riv
- Agree to use ACE - it will be in action
- Respect html's admin decisions - it's his event, he is in charge, he has the final say

Follow these rules and all will be well :D Follow them not and suffah! :devil:

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE TIMES AND PLACES

-=-=-

The date will of course be Sunday 5th September. Over to html:

"19h55: Everyone be in #utapug on irc.utassault.net, there I will give the name of the temporary irc channel that you must join.

20h00: That channel will be moderated (you won't be able to speak in it), there I will repeat a few ground rules for the event. Once everyone is in the channel, I will crosscheck everyone present with the OFFICIAL PLAYER LIST and voice the first 24 names.
then I will choose the red and blue team for the game but keep that information for Banshee, Useless and myself.
I will take a whole 15 minutes to make proper teams, start the server, and answer some questions

20h15: I will pm each of you individually with the server ip and password for your team.

20h~20: There will be a special warmup map where I will make sure everyone follows the rules of nick/skin.

20h~45: The first real map will begin.

Maps will go on with 2 players getting eliminated every map, once you're eliminated you'll have to go on irc to get the UTV info if you want to spec the rest of the event.

After the 3v3 map the final 2v2 teams will be known and a best of 3 or best of 5 will be played, I will decide at that time how many maps I want to see played by the 2v2 teams.

The winners of the 2v2 team will conclude the event! All in all it should take about 3.5 - 4 hours."

You have been told! Don't be late!

-=-=-

As for the places:

Match server: www.utapug.net:9400 (please note this is NOT the usual utapug server - look in the AS tab for "StdAs Survivor Assault Night [locked private]")
IRC: irc.utassault.net / #utapug
Teamspeak: www.utapug.net:8267 / utapug - please, only join this if you can't get into UTV, or if you've been eliminated from the match
Shoutcast: Will be announced approx. 1 hour before the match in irc
UTV:

- Install UTV and make sure your inis are correctly configured (see below)
- Open UT and then UTV from the Mod menu
- In the Server box type www.utapug.net:23812
- In the Password box type utawatcher
- Click the Connect button

For more info on how to set up UTV please read this and this.

About UTV: I will be the feeder for this event. The UTV details will again be gone over in irc before the match for anyone having any problems, and UTV chat will be turned on. The delay between match and broadcast will be around 10 seconds. If watchers want me to follow a specific player more often or whatever, please tell me between rounds, not during, as the delay makes this impractical. You will be able to see what I type in teamsay. I hope you enjoy it :D

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE MAPS AND IMMUNITIES

-=-=-

These are the maps, in countdown order, and details of what must be done to gain either secondary, primary or even permanent immunities in each round. Players will be reminded of the immunities at the start of each round and can also ask html (who will be speccing) at any time during play.

12v12 (warmup): A dreaded custom map! :banghead:
Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A

12v12: Gladiator][
Primary: Win
Secondary: Switch One > Ancient Warrior > Wall > Bridge
Permanent (Att): 2 or more fully charged hammer shots, including a clear killling blow, on the ancient warrior
Permanent (Def): Killing spree using the catapult only

11v11: BioAssaultSmant14
Primary: Bio Chamber
Secondary: Shooting Range > Science Corridor > The Tunnel
Permanent (Att): 200 points or more (frags + objs)

10v10: Siege][
Primary: HIDDEN
Secondary: HIDDEN

NB: This will be the only map where the immunities will be hidden until the map is over. Then html will announce which 2 players got the immunities. This means even when the map is being played and includes ALL possible objectives ;)

9v9: DustBowlRev04
Secondary: Base Control > Inner Base > Main gate > Fuses
Permanent (Att): Ripper both Generators from outside of both the Gen room AND the lower tunnel

8v8: Bridge
Primary: Charge 4
Secondary: Final Assault Entrance > Second Assault Entrance > Main Gate
Permanent (Def): First to Godlike (applies to both rounds)

7v7: A dreaded custom map! :banghead:
Primary: TBA before the map starts
Secondary: TBA before the map starts

6v6: Ballistic
Primary: Warhead
Secondary: Generator > Main Gate

5v5: Lavafort][
Secondary: Fuse 1 > Lava Cave > Fort Reached

4v4: Desertstorm
Secondary: Samsite > Scud > Bunker

3v3: Vampire
Secondary: Door Lock > Water Wheel > Barricade

As well as the permanent defense immunities listed above, remember also that, up until and including the 5v5, any defender who has the greatest points total on his team for three consecutive maps will gain a permanent immunity :chainsaw:

Note that only four maps have permanent immunities available. This makes them all the harder to achieve and also reduces the likelihood of 6 players getting automatic passes to the 3v3 by the time the 10v10 is over, thereby making all the other rounds in between irrelevant.

All the maps will be on fast redirect from the match server. If you are unfamiliar with them, tough! Get practising! If you don't trust the server you can download most of the more unusual ones from html's post.

Last edited:
-=-=-

THE LUCRE

-=-=-

Finally, the reason we're all here and why I shall shortly be skipping the country.

The two SURVIVORS, ie. the winners of the 2v2 match, will receive a jaw-dropping 10 euros each (donated by html). Start booking those holidays!
The most risible goon, ie. the player making the biggest fool of himself by accident in the whole tournament, will receive 10 euros of his own (donated by me). Note that this has to be by accident. No jumping in the way of the train on purpose or pishe like this. I am a UTA failer myself, I can always tell the difference :whatever:
The player who eliminates Riv from the match will receive 5 euros (html again, his idea).
As for Riv, not only will he receive a whopping 30 euros should he win, he will be given temporary command of a squadron of pigs for the flight home :pig::flyer::pig:

-=-=-

Well, there you have it. We, the admin team, hope you all enjoy this event, whether watching, playing or SURVIVING! :party: Stay tuned for the match report :soon:

My name is html and I approove of these posts.

nice looking forward to it!! 4 hrs seems long though lol! better make sure i have dinner before it starts

Headline news: RIVS PC BROKE, WE HAVE 2 DAYS TO FIX THIS INJURY ELSE HE WILL BE OUT OF THE WORLD CUP!!!

cmon Riv you can do it !!!

funnykids061.jpg

pic related, it's Riv fixing his computer

Last edited:
Congratulations to Twnz and DJ, who win the 2v2 final vs. Stylefish and killerdude! :party: Well pld to both of you :clap: and commiserations to the two blues :cuddle:

The report will be written on Monday night and probably a lot of Tuesday (college), I have a LOT to look through. Thanks for everyone's co-operation with the numbers, etc. and I will get this done as soon as I can.

:D

P.S. I am still missing two numbers from the players. I don't know who 33 or 87 were, although I know one of them was Ase. Please, let me know these numbers or I can't do the report properly.

-=-=-

SURVIVOR NIGHT #3 - THE REPORT

-=-=-

It's all over! The champions have emerged, the losers have slunk off to lick their wounds, the eliminated mutter to themselves in corners, the accusations have been flung, the Paypal accounts have been closed in disgust, and Riv comes out of it none the richer. Sounds like a recipe for success to me! But what was it really like to be there on the night? Well, I'll tell you. It really was something other than else!

Enough punditry and twaddle, it's time to reveal the teams, the players and their unique numbers!

-=-=-

THE TEAMS / PLAYERS

-=-=-

19: Twnz (Champion)
55: DJ (Champion)
13: Locomouse - Eliminated after 3v3
22: Sphere - Eliminated after 4v4
37: Mym - Eliminated after 5v5
49: Riv - Eliminated after 6v6
35: Pogo - Eliminated after 7v7
10: XB - Eliminated after 8v8
61: Salva - Eliminated after 9v9
23: Axl - Eliminated after 10v10
25: Free - Eliminated after 11v11
47: Vitzy - Eliminated after 12v12

64: Stylefish (Runner-up)
78: killerdude (Runner-up)
56: smant - Eliminated after 3v3
73: Solar - Eliminated after 4v4
09: d1sc - Eliminated after 5v5
29: Insp - Eliminated after 6v6
33: Ase - Eliminated after 7v7
71: Farac - Eliminated after 8v8
50: m1cr0 - Eliminated after 9v9
12: Bn - Eliminated after 10v10
21: nightwing - Eliminated after 11v11
87: Promax - Eliminated after 12v12

Now, you could be forgiven for spotting a certain imbalance here, but let me assure you that html's team choices were not the only factor leading to the 2v2 final between Twnz / DJ and Stylefish / killerdude. Senseless voting by the people who gained immunities played a hand, on both teams in fact. Had Fish not fairly and squarely won the night's only permanent immunity, there's nothing to say that he wouldn't have gotten voted out by daft decisions and snap judgements. Other issues arose with player crashes (eg. Riv), poor individual performances (eg. a few people) and the reds usually voting the weak players out one by one while the blues often did the opposite. Some of this could have been helped and no one person is to blame, but the nature of Survivor is such that the final 2v2 lineup can't be predicted and is all down to the players voting on the night. So, please, no more blame, nobody! :D

-=-=-

THE LOWDOWN

-=-=-

The first thing I need to say in this section is congratulations to everyone involved, particularly the players who participated. Almost without exception (more later), everyone treated the event with respect :clap: Flaming was non-existent, spam binds were suppressed, all the eliminated players took it in good spirits, no bug abuse, no laming, UTV had 14 watchers by the end (and there were also speccers). There were lots more positives across the board and the admin team are thankful that no-one involved gave us any headaches before, during or after the event. So, thanks a lot :)

---

Anyway, what happened in the match? I've listed details of every map below, but the match overall was hugely enjoyable from a spectator's point of view, and there were no ragequits or anything from anyone. People genuinely seemed to have fun :P Man of the Match has to be Twnz, not just for being the joint champion but also for the way he went about it. He was always threatening to take the defence frag immunity and would have done so at the last possible second but for Sphere :trout: I haven't counted but I'm sure he got way more immunities than everyone else, so fair play to him. His team was also chock full of known fraggers and snipe-ho's, giving him an advantage from the very start - just take a look at the list above. Another point about that is who on red got voted out and when. You might shuffle them around a bit, but largely that was a natural progression, and Twnz's votes were also often sensible enough to be obvious.

The blues were perhaps hobbled from the start. Looking at their roster, it's worrying how many decent fraggers were gone by the time the 6v6 map came up :hangover: This had a big effect on the match and the blues were left to work with what they had, which, when compared to the reds' lineup, was never going to be enough. The only hope the blues might have had in the end, given that Twnz won the 3v3 immunity, was that Twnz would pick smant from the blue team and killerdude would go for DJ. This unfortunately didn't happen and we were left with a very anti-climactic final which was over far too soon.

The differences between the reds manifested themselves not just in frags but in style. All night long the reds' defence was just far more aggressive than the blues'. Red players routinely poured forwards and harrassed the poor blues, who did not have the fragpower to break past. On attack the reds often seemed to be more willing to set launches and work together in other ways, and they had more tricksters and BTers than the blues.

Positives for the blue team were there from the start, but they didn't help their cause by voting out the likes of m1c and Bn early on for flimsy reasons. Voting was very often down to snap judgements and frag counts, not taking into account things like most helpful, most willing to launch, or whatever. Many of them did realise this quickly, so that, even knowing they had no chance of really taking maps off the reds, all they had to do in each second round was not be last. This more or less formed the basis for any and all blue voting, which explains how smant and killerdude made it to the 3v3 while players like m1c, Bn, Farac, d1sc, etc. crashed out too soon. If the aim is to survive for as long as possible, all that means is that smant and kd played the game better than their team-mates. Stylefish, on the other hand, always deserved to reach the 2v2 for any given reason - I wax lyrical about him throughout my reports and for a good reason :thumb:

-=-=-

Anyway, that's the gist. Please, read on for some map details and stuff. And, once again, thanks for your interest and for being a part of this event :party: