Religion, eh?... Discuss

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Wintermute

Oct 17, 2001
Strachur, Scotland
Spilling over from the Gay Marriage thread, where it's only really a side show...

I have said that (amongst other things) religion is stupid. I think it's also pointless, divisive and downright evil - a cancer on the heart of humanity dragging us backwards into the stone age all over again.

The current situation with Bush and crowd in the US demonstrates perfectly what religion can do in a position of power.

Of course, plenty of people jump in to say that no, religion is good... well, let's hear it - just how does your belief in a fantasy god with no proof actually contribute to society? how does it make the world a better place?

I would actually be interested to hear from those that have read the bible. Not the bits read to you in church, but the whole thing, including the bits rarely mentioned. I used to be a complete and total "god exists, of course he does and he looks over us and keeps and eye on us" until I read the book.

Honest to goodness, I know a lot of people who havent read the bible for themselves and yet define themselves as christian without knowing what they have to actually follow because they just think that Jesus was a good guy, and we should all be good and thats it.

Eh... I agree.

But it makes the world interesting if you think about it. What would the world be if nobody believed in anything?

Oh and please, I don't want to hear the argument "prove that god doesn't exist" :tired:

Last edited:
Wintermute said:
Spilling over from the Gay Marriage thread, where it's only really a side show...

I have said that (amongst other things) religion is stupid. I think it's also pointless, divisive and downright evil - a cancer on the heart of humanity dragging us backwards into the stone age all over again.

The current situation with Bush and crowd in the US demonstrates perfectly what religion can do in a position of power.

Of course, plenty of people jump in to say that no, religion is good... well, let's hear it - just how does your belief in a fantasy god with no proof actually contribute to society? how does it make the world a better place?
agree. Religion is unnecessary.

As i fought against cancer some1 gave me a religios magazine. 90% of the things in this magazine was just bullshit
(i.e. Cancer mustn't be bad, it's possible that god just wants to challenge you. It can be seen as a new beginning for ur new and better life).

Then i spoke with another patient, a older woman who was pretty religious. She talked almost the same shit :nono:.

Wintermute said:

How do you know God is a fantasy?? Maybe when U knocked on his door...he just wasn't home !!

I've got his cell phone number :P

Reactions: Ice
Some religions always try to convert you or say infidels should be punished etc. I think those are _very_ bad, examples are Christianity and Muslim.
Their Gods seem to be tyrants anyway, something which isnt exactly appealing.. "Believe in Me or suffer for Eternity"
At that point I rather fight against it than submit.. "Better to rule in Hell, than to serve in Heaven".

But not all religions want to be "dominant" and want to punish people, for example Buddhism and Wicca.
I've never heard of a Buddhist trying to convert anyone or telling someone they will be punished if they wont convert. They seem to be a bunch of peace-loving people... nothing wrong with that. Same goes for Wicca, just nature-lovers.

As long as religion is kept private and not "for the masses"/preaching, I dont see anything wrong with it.
That way you dont harrass/annoy/convert/hurt/whatever other people.
Everybody is different so everybody experiences stuff differently, same goes for religion. So I doubt converting works anyway, I just get annoyed with it. And I'm very sure I'm not the only one, can't believe they wont give up.

my 2 cents..

Reactions: Ulv
I have no religion at all, i dont believe in any god , and well the bible imo is just fake like the rest of any other religions false books and is nothing more than a glorifed tale.I prefer oor wullie.
My opinion is that politics and religion are the biggest disease in the world and cause more death than any other disease.
I reckon folk have a religion as they need a bit of hope and it gives them it basically and they feel more comfortable thinking theres a god etc which fair play to them if they want to live there lives like that they have every right too, but it just aint my thing.

"prays to the nonagon" while reading oor wullie comic !

Last edited:
im glad u started this thread, thought id get in trouble if i posted owt about religeon in other one :P

disclaimer :- all this is my own opinion

I have the standared experiance of being preeched to etc by various christians, and have, a long time ago, read parts of the bible, altho it didnt make any sense to me at that age.

As I see it quite a lot of the religeons started in places like palastein etc, regeions of turmoil at the time. Now if you want control over a lot of people, without having to use militry force, or assasination you need to come up with a threat. Most theats would be easily seen as bluffs, eg. single bloke to king - "give me your land or i will kill you", king "army, execute him now". Now if you could produce a threat that you couldnt call the bluff, ie only way of calling the bluff is by dieing, then youve got a pretty good threat. Now this threat could be used for all sorts of purposes, eg attacking goverments, getting money and power etc. In the case of religeon it seems like money and power.

Obviously if anyone opposed your new religeon you would have to get rid of them, as they would be direct competition for members. I say members because when religeons first start, id imagine them more like a club as there would be no churchs or mosques etc. As numbers grow, and therefore money and power of the religeon, then they can build impressive buildings, stand back and say, look at the power of our <insert name here> he has given us this place. Which further increases membership.

The central books that support reliegeon, eg bible etc, are probably written by the people, or their followers who started the religeon. As my understanding goes, most of these on the surface promote things like love your neighbour... until you get into them more deeply. At the time it was probably a conforting idea compared to the goverments, give us all your money or we will kill you methods.

From the gay marrage thread, a few points were made, but no-one seemed to take notice. First the statement that if you dont rely on the teachings of your holy book when making rules, then you are now no longer a religeon, your a society. In the past gay marriages inside CoE were fine (going by winters reference to the king), however nowerdays it isnt. This suggests to me that current CoE teachings dont follow their heratage, therefore it is nolonger a religion, it is a society. This society is dictated to by the pope, now not under standing how people become bishops etc, I assume their apointed by the pope, then this means that the pope has full control over the teachings given out by the church. This seems like a corruption of what most people think the believe when talking about CoE.

Now we have a 3rd part society demanding rules passed in a lot of other societys, then saying that if some1 complains then they are trying to influence theirs. Eg. peoples objection to using the word marriage in relation to civil relationships. Why shouldnt people use the word marriage, from winters post, there is no reference to the word marrage in the bible, therefore the use of the word has been chosen either by common use to refer to a partnership, or by the pope. They dont own the copywright on the word, and seem to think if other people use it then it demotes the meaning of their useage of the word. This to me feels like another way of controlling people, and elevating people in their religeon to being above ordinary citezins. Which in christianity is wrong (i assume?, eg "all men are created equel").

If you strip out all the corruption etc, then your left with the equivelent of the code of conduct (sixth started that?) in the uta. People sign up to it and mainly stick to it, however there are a few, who have signed up, that dont. Its the other people that dont that get noticed and because they are being noticed, and seen as "winners", by some, there the ones that get copied.

I cant think of a mainstream religeon that got to where it is without forcing its belief on others, through holy wars, crusades etc. So quite a lot cant say that their religeon is pure, as the highest priests etc would have had a hand in starting these crusades.

Not sure if all that made sense, typing this between serving customers :P I think religeon is ok if you really need to believe in something, as long as it is kept ot itself, doesnt try to convert people, and doesnt start wars or try to influence others. However i think think there are better things to believe in.

ps. sos for spellings :P

just a thought, was religeon the original 419 scam? ie. give us your money, and if you wait long enuf we will give you tons of riches in the future. However i think the riaa/mpaa has proved that you cant get anything nowerdays worth any where near as much or more then you paid.

btw, i should point out, im passive about thi ssorta thing, ie I see facts, and draw conclusions from those facts that form my opinions, i dont have any real emotional link to these facts. im not religeous, and i wouldnt call myself an athiest, as this brings up images almost of another religeon.

I'm not religious, but I do believe in (a) greater 'being(s)'.

And you're right, religion shouldn't be linked with politics. Politics are there to make the laws. When you base the laws on a religion those laws could be unfair for those who don't believe in that religion.
And saying politics is shit is weird, i can't imagine where the Western world would be without politics.

I actually think i remember something from bible saying that jesus was once offered the position of mayor, of a town, and he turned it down because it was poletics and not religeon. Showing again that modern christianity diverges from the bibles teachings, where jesus himself makes the point that religeon shouldnt get involved in poletics. Also goes back to statement that without following the core of teachings belonging to relegion, you are no longer a religeon, just a society. btw, thats assuming that jesus existed and the bible is accurate :P.

not sure which thread this belongs in :P

I belive in myself couse GOD (if he exists) is probably to busy to help me in RL.

Priests are even worst then politics. They are using religion and "GOD" for their own needs.

Prove that God exist - you cant
Prove that he doesnt - you cant

Well, religions are very old, how comes such a 'bullshit for dumb ppl' survived so many years?
You wont find a clear answer on that question, never.
Billions of ppl on the whole world believe in something they got some fate, that does make them dumb?
I choosen my religion, im old enough to decide about my life, old enough to do whatever i want to, so, when i finally i got my religion does it makes me dumb?

agree. Religion is unnecessary.

Well, i respect your opinion but i wont agree.

The truth is, in the name of gods (no metter which) dying ppl, died and always will be dying.
But it doesnt mean they are right, a ppl who do that are simple mourders.
But then, its easy to blame the religion, those ppl simply can say 'kill them in the name of god' but a person who say so really think so? or religion become a good reason, to make everything as he wants to be done.

But after when you finally finish blame religion about all those bad things happened in the past, maybe think about whats good happened thx to some religions.

Thx to religion, we have no komunism in poland, yes and only thx to religion ONLY.

Politics is was and will be always linked with religion, and not only, politics link it with everything, starting at religion and finishing at poor ppl.
Bollox.

Thats my pov in that thread..

Reactions: Mushroomhead
brajan said:
Priests are even worst then politics. They are using religion and "GOD" for their own needs.

How many curches on whole world helps ppl? how many give them food, cause their gov DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THEM. Yes thousands. Think before you say something.