Preview Article on UT2004, your Opinion?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

ya, i know :rolleyes:
tv framerate doesn't fluctuate (making it easier to fool your eyes) whereas it does in a game

but seriously, you would never ever need more than 30 fps and 20 is enough for me. obviously i would want more fps but i can live with what i have

Rich said:
pal uk tv is 25fps ntsc is 30 ... if i remeber rightly
but there is alot of differnce between the way inwhich the mind interpolates TV froma video game

You learn something new everyday :P

didnt know bout the 24 and 25 fps per TV :D

the main difference why a 24 pic/sec movie looks smooth and a game with 40-50 doesnt is that the movie consists of "motion"-pictures ;) the pictures are photographed and have a slight motion blur, therefore the eye cant seperate them. if u take a single shot from a movie-roll it is blurry, only if u watch several pictures as a film they give a sharp motion-image (sometimes u can see a stutter tho when the camera makes a fast turn).

on the other hand frames of computer games are being rendered one by one, so they are not blurry at all and therefore the eye can distinguish them easily, which is why you need a lot more then 24 to get the impression of a fluent motion.

i know there is/was a directX effect called motion blur, but i have no idea if it has ever been used in any game

Sauron said:
the main difference why a 24 pic/sec movie looks smooth and a game with 40-50 doesnt is that the movie consists of "motion"-pictures ;) the pictures are photographed and have a slight motion blur, therefore the eye cant seperate them. if u take a single shot from a movie-roll it is blurry, only if u watch several pictures as a film they give a sharp motion-image (sometimes u can see a stutter tho when the camera makes a fast turn).

on the other hand frames of computer games are being rendered one by one, so they are not blurry at all and therefore the eye can distinguish them easily, which is why you need a lot more then 24 to get the impression of a fluent motion.

i know there is/was a directX effect called motion blur, but i have no idea if it has ever been used in any game

2 Things in 1 day :D

toca race driver use's it to great effect :D shame the sound is fucked on it though :(