Potential new PC questions...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

:lol: No Im right and I now refuse to accept im wrong! :D

Your last explanation is right except for one major flaw, a billion is no longer a million million it is a thousand million, blame the americans for buggering that one up and confusing matters.

That means the conversion factor is now 1000:1 ie 1000MHz is 1GHz

edit: just seen your reply, thats what I said to start with, dont start telling me im right but wrong :confused: bet Useless has no idea any more :P

a 1000 million being a billion

makes more sense than the old way tbh

so conclusion

1) we both right :D
2) Useless by name and by nature ;)
3) Maxtor = crapo
4) Pc not a bad spec
5) aye Buggered

each core on a 4200 runs at 2200 Ghz and thats what windows shows

so 2 X 2200 cores = 4200 dual core

so its 4200 ghz :P

I wont baffle you with the fsb and memory speed improvements

is he now i think you better check your facts m8

its sold and rated as 2200 GHz with the fsb at 1000 MHz

and with its dual cores it is equivalent to a 4200 GHz cpu

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=111290

Sorry DB, you were deffo wrong. There won't be a 4200GHz PC out for a very long time methinks.

4.2GHz (or 4200MHz) seems a lot more sensible ;)

Deadboy you've gone mad mate! ;)

Use, id be a bit wary of those shops coz they do tend to try and rip ppl off or bullshit ppl who dont know anything about PC hardware. Even those numpties in PC world get on my nerves when you hear them blagging some random family into spending a load of money on a bollox pc.

Still if you feel most comfortable getting ur kit that way is fair enuf, just double check wot they are actually selling you before you pay for it.

Dual core AMD isnt bad, will be a fair bit better than wot u have at the moment. I havnt read all of this thread so im not sure wot the rest of the spec is, guess if you've had mym, db etc look over it, it should be alright.... ;)

p.s i have a old maxtor drive, its lasted about 8 years so far. At the end of the day if ur HD is gonna fail its gonna fail, regardless of make. Shit happens sometimes, doubt maxtor are that much worse than the rest tbh.

Every main HD I ever owned was Maxtor (inc this one) and every one has gone down the shitter inside 2 years :( I just don't trust em but it looks like I'm stuck with another one in the PC I'm getting, though I did try to get it replaced.

The shop phoned yesterday and said the processor I wanted wasn't in, so they're goign to put in the CPU one step up from what I wanted, but for the same price. I haven't a clue what one step up from the CPU I wanted would be (I barely know wtf I was getting to begin with), but if anyone could tell me what this mystical new CPU is likely to be I'd def be interested.

lol most of these people with fancy sound cards won't ever appreciate what good sound is cos they are using a cheap shite pair of headphones or a £50 computer subwoofer system from Argos.

I got a pair of Sennheiser HDs.. so I appreciate mine ;)

In the past my first choice used to be maxtors as they were good value of rmoney, thats 4-5years ago and they lasted well, most are still working. Recently out of all the Hds ive bought in the last 2 years I would say 50% of the maxtors ive had have failed, 7-8 drives before I stopped buying them tbh I even stopped returning them under warranty as I knew they would only send me back a Maxtor (I had one Maxtor catch fire, returned it, the replacement died within 2 hours, its still sitting here with the remainder of its warranty). They really have gone downhill recently.

As for your CPU upgrade they usually just up you to the next CPU speed, so if they were selling you a 4200+ then they might give you a 4400+ or 4600+ depending what they have in stock, price difference for them is usually only 10 or so quid.

oh and DB was wrong... har har har.. idiot!!!

Tbh, The reason the dual cores perform better is they have better architecture, and perform more instructions per clock cycle

Also where did you get the FSB running at 1000Mhz? - surely its either 800Mhz, 1066Mhz or 1333Mhz? (200/266/333 actual fsb respectively)

And the calculation of 2x 2.2Ghz cpus on one chip = 4.2Ghz.. It's nothing to do with that.. its the number of instructions per clock cycle - thats why AMD dropped the clock speed naming convention a good while ago.. I think it was the P4 doing 6 per clock cycle, with AMD doing either 8 or 9 (I can't remember exactly and im not googling it). Obviously intel have matched this with their C2Ds.

Basically - Get a fuckin intel based setup.. AMD are behind for the moment!

Last edited:
I had one Maxtor catch fire, returned it, the replacement died within 2 hours, its still sitting here with the remainder of its warranty

:whatever: I mean really...

As for your CPU upgrade they usually just up you to the next CPU speed, so if they were selling you a 4200+ then they might give you a 4400+ or 4600+ depending what they have in stock, price difference for them is usually only 10 or so quid.

:clap: I knew this would have a happy ending.

oh and DB was wrong... har har har.. idiot!!!

Tbh, The reason the dual cores perform better is they have better architecture, and perform more instructions per clock cycle

Also where did you get the FSB running at 1000Mhz? - surely its either 800Mhz, 1066Mhz or 1333Mhz? (200/266/333 actual fsb respectively)

And the calculation of 2x 2.2Ghz cpus on one chip = 4.2Ghz.. It's nothing to do with that.. its the number of instructions per clock cycle - thats why AMD dropped the clock speed naming convention a good while ago.. I think it was the P4 doing 6 per clock cycle, with AMD doing either 8 or 9 (I can't remember exactly and im not googling it). Obviously intel have matched this with their C2Ds.

Basically - Get a fuckin intel based setup.. AMD are behind for the moment!

I'm getting AMD, so live with it! :chainsaw: And DB is never wrong, he just gets confused, baffled, perplexed and puzzled at (al) times :hangover:

As some of you might know, I work for Staffordshire County Council looking after schools' networks and broadband connections. As part of that we gave every primary school (about 400) a server that contains some multimedia stuff for the kids and is also a caching proxy server for their internet access. All those units have Maxtor drives in and over the last 4 years a total of 5 drives have failed. As those are running 24/7 I don't think thats a bad failure rate.

As Gaz said, all drives are prone to failure at some point and I don't believe Maxtor are any worse than any other make.

thing is thrash, its the newer maxtor which are meant to be dodgy.. ie, those over the last year.. not 2-5 years - Still it may be just hear-say with no real evidence to back it up.. but most hardware forums have that general consesus.

Another good example would be the old IBM Deathstars.. they had an awful rep.. but nowadays I don't see many complaints about the IBM (now hitachi I think) range

Uzi u are a true sheepshagging knob

1000 MHz HT/ FSB im sticking to

http://www.aria.co.uk/VendorStores//AMD+Athlon+64+X2+Dual+Core+4600++2.40GHz+(AM2)+?productId=25163

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._.28Energy_Efficient.2C_F2_.26_F3.2C_90_nm.29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport#Front-Side_Bus_Replacement

it was my math ability whilst stoned that was wrong and never noticed my mistake and stuck to it

cause when i calculated 4200 x 1000000 = 4200000000

for some reason i counted 9 0's when there is really only 8 but thats weed for ya

this was what gave me the false answer

cause as we know

HTz is 10 to the power of 6

and

GHz is 10 to the power of 9

now if you or anyone else has never made a simple mistake then u all better than men than me

btw notice the idividual core speeds nothing to do with it my arse thats how they rate them

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 42
Btw Use, why cant they change the HD for you? Do they only have Maxtor HDs in the shop or something?? :lol: If your seriously worried about it tell them they change the HD or u dont buy it, im sure they would change their tune.

Get myms phone number, when u get in the shop just put him on before you even speak, let him shout at them for a bit, then insist your paying a maximum of £10 for the lot or the big angry man they just spoke to will burn the shop down. :D

Btw Use, why cant they change the HD for you? Do they only have Maxtor HDs in the shop or something?? :lol: If your seriously worried about it tell them they change the HD or u dont buy it, im sure they would change their tune.

Get myms phone number, when u get in the shop just put him on before you even speak, let him shout at them for a bit, then insist your paying a maximum of £10 for the lot or the big angry man they just spoke to will burn the shop down. :D

Yeah, they literally have no other type of drive in the shop - not at 250Gb anyway :whatever: Prolly cos every other bugger before me specifically bought the non-Maxtors.

And when you phone the shop you have to go through an automated menu and choose your options. The very first one says "You're not going to get MyM onto us, are you? - If Yes push 1; If No push 2". I pushed 1 the first time and the line went dead. Weird :confused:

thing is thrash, its the newer maxtor which are meant to be dodgy.. ie, those over the last year.. not 2-5 years - Still it may be just hear-say with no real evidence to back it up.. but most hardware forums have that general consesus.

Another good example would be the old IBM Deathstars.. they had an awful rep.. but nowadays I don't see many complaints about the IBM (now hitachi I think) range

Mmmmm.....who did Maxtor join forces with about 18 months ago?