Potential new PC questions...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

And I should also point out, than no self respecing audiophille would ever admit to owning or using a Creative/Sound Blaster product. Compared to other companies who produce audio cards for similar money, they really do suck big time.

Creative are good at marketing and turd polishing. And thats about it.

EAX is bollocks I think, I don't know how often you actually use it apart from to apply cave effects to your favourite Queen album.

I've actually done this, though I dunno if Cool Edit Pro needs EAX (doubt it). Queen II btw. Nevermore = best two minute song nugget ever.

EDIT
no self respecing audiophille would ever admit to owning or using a Creative/Sound Blaster product.

I didn't mean to :( It just sort of happened. I was thinking of Logitech the whole time!

lol most of these people with fancy sound cards won't ever appreciate what good sound is cos they are using a cheap shite pair of headphones or a £50 computer subwoofer system from Argos.

i doubt the processor is 4.2ghz for ex. my 3000+ AMD 64 (which is quit old now) is equivalent to only 2.2ghz. I wouldnt get your hopes up:P

well its supposedly and better off getting myms opinion it acts like a 4.2ghz pc or something

each core on a 4200 runs at 2200 Ghz and thats what windows shows

so 2 X 2200 cores = 4200 dual core

so its 4200 ghz :P

I wont baffle you with the fsb and memory speed improvements

Of course deadboy is completely wrong he means its 4200 MHz as a 4200 GHz would be even more unbelievable :P

Its just a marketing ploy of AMD, they used to believe that their cpus although running at a slower clock speed actually performed like a faster intel equivalent and that most people would buy it purely on clock speed rather than performance. eg AMD make a 2GHz Athlon, they say it performs the same as a 3GHz Pentium therefore they just call it a 3000+ Athlon.
A 1.8 athlon is off the top of my head a 2200+ I think, so from 2200 to 4200 is a big enough jump

As for the memory you should have 2 1GB sticks of that ram to give you the 2GB from the advert, tbh if you had any questions about the PC specs you really should have asked them at the shop as soon as you bought it :)

Of course deadboy is completely wrong he means its 4200 MHz as a 4200 GHz would be even more unbelievable :P

Its just a marketing ploy of AMD, they used to believe that their cpus although running at a slower clock speed actually performed like a faster intel equivalent and that most people would buy it purely on clock speed rather than performance. eg AMD make a 2GHz Athlon, they say it performs the same as a 3GHz Pentium therefore they just call it a 3000+ Athlon.
A 1.8 athlon is off the top of my head a 2200+ I think, so from 2200 to 4200 is a big enough jump

As for the memory you should have 2 1GB sticks of that ram to give you the 2GB from the advert, tbh if you had any questions about the PC specs you really should have asked them at the shop as soon as you bought it :)

Ah but I've not bought it yet, so I thought I'd ask here so that people would actually tell me the truth, unlike those guys in the shop. Getting it on Saturday and my dad's picking it up for me 'cos I can't make it (and I have to phone this morning and specifically ask that the HD not be a Maxtor). The prinout does say x2 for the RAM sticks so that's cool, and if the CPU really is 4200 MHz I'll be extremely happy :D

Cheers for replies again ppl :clap:

The reason I told you to ask the shop first is actually to gauge how much they lie, personally I tend not to deal with places that obviously have no idea what they are chatting about although ill let some things slide if its apparent they are just trying to promote something theyve got in stock as long as they say that.

The 4200+ CPU will be as Deadboy says, a 2.2GHz but youll see two of them and no you dont get double the performance from having two CPUs.
Its a big jump up in performance so ignore whatever the speed of the processor is :)

I just phoned them to ask wtf I was getting and they had the nerve to tell me that 'some high street shops, even some around here, try to trick customers with the CPU clock speeds'. I nearly said 'you're fkin doing it too!' but didn't.

And they can't replace the Maxtor with something else. He assured me that Maxtors don't have higher fail rates than any other drives, to which I replied bollocks. At least I'm getting 4 times my current RAM.

is he now i think you better check your facts m8

its sold and rated as 2200 GHz with the fsb at 1000 MHz

and with its dual cores it is equivalent to a 4200 GHz cpu

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=111290

:lol: when I first saw that I thought shit and was quite prepared to say I was wrong as I knew Id had a few when I replied but reading it again im still right! :D

AMD 4200+
dual core CPU, each running at 2.2GHz or 2200MHz
performance rating of 4.2GHz or 4200MHz

Im just nit-picking at the units mistake Deadboy so I can confuse Useless more :P

confused you will be :P

but a big big difference

GHz

Abbreviation for gigahertz. One GHz represents 1 billion cycles per second. The speed of microprocessors, called the clock speed, often is measured in gigahertz. For example, a microprocessor that runs at 200 GHz executes 200 billion cycles per second. Each computer instruction requires a fixed number of cycles, so the clock speed determines how many instructions per second the microprocessor can execute. To a large degree, this controls how powerful the microprocessor is

MHz
Abbreviation for megahertz. One MHz represents one million cycles per second. The speed of microprocessors, called the clock speed, is measured in megahertz. For example, a microprocessor that runs at 200 MHz executes 200 million cycles per second. Each computer instruction requires a fixed number of cycles, so the clock speed determines how many instructions per second the microprocessor can execute. To a large degree, this controls how powerful the microprocessor is. Another chief factor in determining a microprocessor's power is its data width (that is, how many bits it can manipulate at one time).
In addition to microprocessors, the speeds of buses and interfaces are also measured in MHz.