Networking two systems together...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

You most likely will want an eletronic KVM switch :)

This is the one I use.
http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GCS1714

It comes with cabels, and have keyboard macros for switching between the computers ect. and it can use a fairly high refreshrate and size.

Ofcourse if you want USB ports you may not like this one, but I think they have a model with that, also it is in a 2/cpu version aswell but at nearly the same price.

:EDIT: the link is accerly for the USB version, I have the PS2 one.

Thanks for the advice Apoc :D The electronic box is certainly a better model but is too expensive for my needs, the cheaper ones should do everything I need.

The micro one is pretty much the same as the one I have ordered here which should do the job fine :D :thumb:

Well I have to say I'm fucking amazed. I plugged my mouse keyboard and monitor into the KVM switch and in turn that to the two computers. I plugged my modem into the router and the router into the two computers. Turned everything on and there it was - I can flick between the two PCs at the touch of a button, both are connected to the internet and I have two spare network access points for LAN gaming ;)

No CDs, no installation time, just literally plug and play... Never thought it would be quite that easy, or cheap for that matter at a total hardware cost of ~£60 for the lot... :D

Not got the two puters to talk to each other directly yet, but that's a side issues that I need to look at :)

Hmmmz ok I new something had to be hard - have found it now :D

As I said the router seems to be working fine, both PCs connect to the internet through it with no problems, but I can't get the PCs to talk to each other. I've enabled file and printer sharing on both, and made sure the relevant hard drives have sharing enabled, but when I try and browse the network it is either 'unavailable' or just not seeing the other PC. One PC is on XP and the other 98.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get them to see each other? Thanks :D

Spirit said:
Hmmmz ok I new something had to be hard - have found it now :D

As I said the router seems to be working fine, both PCs connect to the internet through it with no problems, but I can't get the PCs to talk to each other. I've enabled file and printer sharing on both, and made sure the relevant hard drives have sharing enabled, but when I try and browse the network it is either 'unavailable' or just not seeing the other PC. One PC is on XP and the other 98.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get them to see each other? Thanks :D
Few things.. make sure that the XP machine has the guest account enabled, or that the XP machine has user/pass credentials the same as the user logged onto the Win98 machine - this will allow the sharing to actually work properly. I assume you can ping each machine, so I would try accessing the computer name: \\computername from a run diaglog. Make sure both computers are in the same workgroup, and that you have File and Print sharing for Microsoft networks (client) installed, and not just the 2 tick buttons checked and and making sure that Shared Level access is OFF on the next tab along.

You may also have to log the 98 machine off and then back on again to get the file sharing working.

Thnx for the advice Martz, I'll prolly have a couple of further questions on that cos when I said I was a networking n00b I really meant it :D

Will have a further play when I get home in a couple of hours and see how I do :)

Pre-empting a few questions - how do I define the guest account on the XP machine? When pinging do I just use the same IP addy I would if giving my IP out to someone online? File and printer sharing is installed on both and I presume I have to have 'client for microsoft netowrking' as the primary logon?

Thanks again :)

hmmz ok with the aove advice and the network config wizard I am almost there, but still one problem.

I can see the 98 machine from the XP machine no problem, but if I try and browse the network in the 9 machine it tells me the network is unavailable...

File and Printer sharing is installed, the relevant drives are set to share... Any ideas why this might be? :\

The "see" issue is well known..

as long as you can connect to //compuer2/ from computer1 everthing should be working.. ;)

Ofcouse if someone know the die hard problem with the "see" issue I'd like to know aswell..

fs lol all it was was shitty Zone Alarm... I'd disabled it on both PCs and removed it from start up, but it still had some crappy process running in the background that was blocking them seeing each other :\

turned it off and everything worked staight away :rolleyes: :D

You need a router:p, and some UTP cable or possibly STP cable if its in a bad area with loads of electrical shit near it, plug em together and setup your ip's, Sorted

Vortex said:
You need a router:p, and some UTP cable or possibly STP cable if its in a bad area with loads of electrical shit near it, plug em together and setup your ip's, Sorted
Umm no it has nothing to do with the cables quality thats for sure