Networking two systems together...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Spirit

<b>*********.net Treasurer</b>
Jul 29, 2001
Cambridge, UK
Ok, I am the first to hold my hand up and admit I'm a complete n00b when it comes to networking so I'm hoping some kind soul will give me some advice :D

I have 2 computers at home both of which are used from time to time, however I don't have room to have them both set up seperatly with their own monitors etc. My ideal scenario is to have both set up running through the same monitor, so you can just turn which ever one you want to use on and go for it. Obviously there are certain issues like only being able to have the mouse etc plugged into one of the systems and I don't want to have to swap all the cables over each time. Also I want both system to have internet access and obviously only have one cable modem. Both systems have 10/100 network cards and sit side by side.

Is there any way I can run both system through the same monitor using the same mouse / keyboard etc? If not, can any propose a good solution for having access to both systems whilst only using one monitor?

Thanks for your help :D

Last edited:
You would need a cable from each comp plugged into a small box, with a monitor/mouse/keyboard plugged into the box... Allowing you to switch between computers at will.

.... something like this must exist on the market somewhere.

alternatively there's remote desktop stuff like VNC and shite, but I'm not sure what it is exactly that you want.

What your after is called a KVM Switch (KVM standing for Keyboard Video Mouse), and they are available from most online retailers :) Y

ou can get ones that will switch USB aswell these days (incase you use a USB K/B and/or Mouse).

sounds perfect, thanks phil :D

/me logs onto komplett!

Final question then - what about the internet? Is there an easy way I can get both systems to have internet access as well? :)

How does this one look to you? 4th one down - Newlink micro KVM switch with integrated cables

http://www.kvmswitchdirect.co.uk/acatalog/KVM_Switch_Direct_1_user_controlling_2_computers_11.html

Seems to be quite good value as it has all the cables together :D Incidently I have an MS intellimouse explorer, I presume all these kvm's are compatible with optical mice?

Skunk - thnx for the answer, but you have any more details? Can u get kvm swicthes with network capability too, or is there a seperate product I can buy to switch the modem over? :)

Last edited:
if u're using windows (it's possible since win98se) u can us the network sharing, really easy to setup and work quiet fine! on win2k and winXP it's really simple, right clique on your connection => sharing => pick share this connection.
for win98 u will need a floppy to setup it on the other computer.

more details: the computer, sharing the connection should have the ip: 192.168.0.1 and u can leave the dhcp for the second computer.

well sound easy like this for me, but well....

btw, if u're connecting directly the computer (meaning lan card to lan card) u will need a twisted RJ45, cause if u take the regular ones, will only work if u have a switch or a hub.

last remark, if u do it this way, both computer needs to be one if u want the sharing. meaning the computer without the modem won't be able to connect until the connection is not done with the first 1

Last edited:
Tnx for the details Medic :D

I think I will have to use internet sharing - I was hoping not to have to use one computer as a gateway but short of setting up a mini network I can't see any other way round the problem.

the other issues I still have is the sound, but as far as I can see the only way round that is an expensive kvm with audio capability and I cba to spend that much cash on it :rolleyes:

Just on a point of interest - if I have network cards in both PC's already, if I wanted to set up a network would I just need a router such as this one and a couple of network leads?

If so I think I'll got for that, cos it's hardly expensive and sounds like a lot less hassle than windows internet sharing :)

If you want to share a connection without having to network 2 PCs together then the best thing is a router.
I recommend this one completely, took me no more than 3 minutes to setup, and i know nothing about networking...

All you need to do is plug the cable modem into the first port, then computers in the other following ports.
Basically if you have XP it will all do itself, and all you have to do is plug everything in lol.
That simple

Sounds good, I think I'll go for that option :D Although there is a slightly cheaper Linksys router which I may go for instead as I have some other linksys kit already :)

Only other issue may be that one PC is on XP, the other is 98se - any ideas if that will cause a problem? :\

Shouldnt do.
Basically if your computer can access the net normally when connected to the cable modem it will be able to do it when put thru a router.
It should come with some drivers anyway, prolly an idea to try it without drivers first i think, as i didnt need mine....
You may have to add the mac address of the router to your ISPs database tho...

Both systems connect to the net fine at the moment - all I have to do it swap the modem plug over and reboot the modem :)
You may have to add the mac address of the router to your ISPs database tho…
How would I go about that? Just give them a call and tell them what I'm doing? :D

Pretty much
It may not even matter...
Telewest only allow 5 mac addresses from 1 location access the same line, you can add more past their default online actually. You have NTL if i remember right? :) There maybe something on their site which will let you add a mac address, if not just phone them.

Extase said:
You have NTL if i remember right? :) There maybe something on their site which will let you add a mac address, if not just phone them.

Aye you are unfortunately correct :rolleyes: I'll check it out on the web site, if not I'll have to sit on hold to their tech support dept. for another 90 minutes :yawn:

Thanks for your help mate :thumb: The kit should all be here by monday so I'll let you know how things go! Gonna be interesting, got a kvm switch and a router (and a bunch of cables!) neither of which I've used before so got myself a nice little challenge :D

That router and linksys befsr41 (or somet like that) which is probably the cheaper linksys your looking at will allow you to put in the mac address of your network card into them, to your isp it will then appear that the router has same mac address as your network card and it allows the connection.
saves pissing about with adding and removing mac addresses from your ISP's db

Indeed it is the BEFSR41 MyM ;)

Sounds like a good solution, contacting NTL is not my idea of fun at the best of times, let alone getting through to anyone that actually has a clue what they are talking about :D

Thanks for the advice :)

Spirit m8? Did you know you can run more than one program in Windoze simultaneously and therefore you may not need two computers running through the same monitor. I'm surprised the Wig didn't mention this earlier as he is supposed to be some sort of l337 hotshot computer tecky blokey.

This useful snippet comes free and without obligation from Twonko's official helpdesk.

:rofl: No shit?? You can have 2 windows open at the same time? Why didn't anyone tell me this??

Aye twonko u muppet, I have 2 computers used by two different ppl for different things. Much easier to keep them as separate systems than try and integrate the two into one system :D