Networking prob

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Twonko

Love God
Jun 8, 2001
UK
I've networked 3 comps. All running XP Home through a switching hub. One is a host with printer and internet con and the other two are a desktop and a laptop which I want to use to share the internet con on the host. After much fucking about, everything seems to work except the host can't be accessed by the other two comps. The host comp name shows up in their respective network places, but I can't share files or other resources. I get an error that says I don't have permission to use the resource. The host can see the two other comps and they can see each other. It may be a computer naming problem but I don't understand all that stuff and even if I run the wizard again and set the IP addresses I get the same problem. Also the host can't ping itself on the network, so the only network place it can see on itself is the SharedDocs directory on the root drive of the host (itself), which presumably it doesn't use the network to see. The host can see the other two comps fine. I'm baffled. Any ideas anyone?

Have done and yes. I get in and out on the network. The host can't share files or services. Turned off Norton firewall too and the same happens.

Does the account you use to login with on that PC have a blank password, if so then that will limit your access. Either enter a password or turn off that security option under local security policy

Network seems to be fine and firewalling not an issue. Problem is a security or authentication issue with info leaving the server. The computer appears in the workgroup but can't be accessed, even though one drive is shared. Guest account is disabled, but what good would enabling it do? No password on the admin account. Printer sharing works OK, but internet sharing doesn't presumably because the host would have to send something and it won't do that. I'm still baffled. Maybe it's a broken XP installation.

Does it give you a logon window when you´r connecting to the share? Or does it just say "access denied"?

XP requires pc's to have a password on any account that is networkedby default otherwise they will deny network access.

Control panel/administrative tools/local security policy/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/limit use of blank password to console only (may be worded slightly differently as im going by memory :lol: should be near the top of the list) set this to disabled

Lol, I have almost the same problem

Server <=> Client
(No hub's/router's)

I can reach the client pc from the server, but not the server from the client. It just says : "Acces Denied".
Going to try mym's trix0r now ;>

I had some probs like that which dissapeard when i put a passworded account on the host (the one i want to share folders on) and then click "share folder" in the folder properties of the folder u want to share.

on the other pc:s i have to use "map network drive" and
add the drive number u want to use.
add folder: ip#\sharedd folder (ie \\192.168.1.1\shared\
then click:
"connect using another username" and enter the username and the password u created on the host
if u want to, click "reconnect on logging in"

did this make any sence? i hope so... g/l

No local security settings option under admin tools. No mention of it in help file. I'm dong my fucking nut at this.

Also in the Network Connections folder there should be a tab called Incoming Connections, but it's not there.

Hopeless.

Edit: FFS Computer Management screen even tells me when my laptop is sharing my servers internet con. But it won't actually let me share it. Just says access denied.

Last edited:
secpol not present. In fact its not present on all 3 machines so I assume its a WinXP Pro prog. Looks like I've gotta upgrade to XP Pro. And reinstall everything again. Bugger.

PS. Tried Ghosting back to a SATA drive. No Symantec support for SATA from the Ghost boot disk so swapped drives about to reghost onto an IDE drive and it failed. Bugger.

Thanx for the help everyone. I'm off to the pub.

I had same problem, all i did was setup another account on the host (where the shared files are) and it was then ok,also make sure you have selected to share the files or folder you want

Twonko said:
PS. Tried Ghosting back to a SATA drive. No Symantec support for SATA from the Ghost boot disk so swapped drives about to reghost onto an IDE drive and it failed. Bugger.
I was recommended a program called Acronis True Image Server by DeadBoy. Great bit of software like Ghost, but works on all the hardware that Ghost didn't, like SATA and SCSI RAID volumes etc. You just need to Buy it, install it, and create a rescue CD which lets you boot up a machine and ghost a volume to another disk or a network share. Oh wait..

Hi again :)
I'm on a network, using XP Pro on both machines. I want to share the D:\ drive of the server pc.
But there's no way i can reach that map (Or any other map on the server).

First thing i did was disabling the "
Control panel/administrative tools/local security policy/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/limit use of blank password to console only" thing. Then I tried Towanda's trick (Assign a Drive to a network share)
but then i get the error:

"User doesn't have permission to use the requested login method" (<= translated from Dutch to english;))

Now the funny thing is, if i make a shared folder on the client pc, i can access it from the server np. But not the other way around. :confused: Please help, cuz the client only has a 20GB disc, while the server has 140GB ;(.