Mappers united!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

"Mappers united" good or bad idea ?

• Oh, Yeah.. we need quality maps!

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • I don't care, just edit!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Naa, that's a stupid idea!.. pfff..

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

CypresS

Jul 11, 2002
The Netherlands (NB)
Hi all,

I was thinking about making a map with other mappers together!

I will setup a team of mappers and manage everyone so that way we will have a we orginized "map building team". Last time i didn't have enough time, but now is the time!!

So if you want to help and be a member of the team plz post here and i will make a team.

Regards,
CypresS!.

p.s.: I was thinking of a big map (outside and inside 50/50). Some cool launch spots, cool custom textures, new music in it. I think we need a team of 6 members.. Plz let me know..

Last edited:
Hate to "poop" the party but how many times this been suggested and it never got off the ground ?!?! ive lost count.

/nick

that makes 3 then

That's good,

We have now in our team:

CypresS (me)
Stalker
Humph

We need more to make bigger map. With this team we can make a small assault map. We want to make big of at least medium.

Everyone checked my post about my assault map AS-Gothic ?

Greetz,
Cyp.

im against using a lot of custom textures and music. IMO UT mappers only need custom textures for very modern ambiente like science labs etc. because UT lacks shiny surfaces a bit IMO.

and if you wanna make a big make, make sure the mappers wont mess it all up with unordinary mapping mehods. stick to what makes UT smooth and beatiful and dont screw it all with HOMs and 10 fps

Gl.

doesnt work this way

better: one leader, the other only make prefabs
(only working within the grid, max dimensions set etc.)

oh, maybe it would be good 2 see references from mapper before joining

i dont want to join, but i'm interested to see results

it requires a certain proffesionalism and leadership for this to work. so unless you all can be in the same room mapping like that it's never gonna work. it might even slow down the mapping process.

Leader ship.. and more..

Hmmz,

i'll need a good (PHP) website to post the progress (downloads/screens) and have list of members on it (who is doing what). And it must be able to post a "to-do" list, and everyone who is working on a piece must be possible to mark his tasks as "done" or "pending" (in progress). And i need a test server and a test crew.

So i need:

- 1 Web site builder ( i can do graph, so a PHP programmer)
- 6 mappers ( divide map in 3 pieces, 2 per piece)
- 10 testers
- 1 server admin
- 100 votes in final voting for league-map

I think it can work.. anyone has a UT-server + webserver and can program PHP and is in a clan with 10 members wich 6 of them can work with unrealed 2.0 ?

greetz,
Cyp.

I agree several persons working on the same map could even slow down the mapping process.... but if you can organize it in a php website etc, might work.

I wouldn't join the team myself. I'm not mapper. I know some uED complicated stuff but strangely I lack of very basic concepts since I've never started a map from 0, from the beginning, only edited/fixed other's work.
I ain't got time for it either...

You can count on me to promote the map and get it hosted on public and league servers if it's worth, also for testing :)

As for getting the map into the league.... hehe no need to get '100 votes' :D Wait for it to be finished first, then League Admins would propose a clan rep. voting, like this one, if appropriate.

Good luck :)

i agree to lord M

there should be one master mapper.

he creates the plan for the map and gives tasks to the mappers, for example

you create a neat storage room and you the outside terrani basic and textures, you make the entrance hall.. whatever.

ive never compied parts of maps but how does that work anyway?

forexample mapper 1 has made a house. he sends his map to the master mapper. how does he implement it? well you certainly know a way, otherwise you wouldnt post it.

so the master mapper puts all the houses halls and terrains in one .unr and checks it for bsp errors etc, and ehther the different mapping style of the mapper conflicts in either technical stuff or appearence, and the master mapper apllies the final shape of the whole you know.

so lots of work for the master mapper and he should also be good at ed.

thats my way of how i think it could work. btw, cyp, assigning two mapper for one part is bull IMO. they would need to be online most of the time to exchange parts etc.

there ain't many mappers around i guess

there's enough playtesters and serveradmins though (psy and me basically, with our UT-AS friends :P)

Sobo,

- 1 master mapper is necessery ( he is also project-'manager'), he will create the basics (one map (terrain), and divide in 3 (or more) pieces).

- Then 3 (or more, depents on pieces of map) mappers will work on their piece of map (make buildings bridges doors, just everything they like) for 3 weeks.

- After that all pieces will roulate to the other members (bugs will be get out, strange/wrong brushes redrawn).

- Then the master mapper combines all pieces (i know how) and draw some simple routes to attach the pieces.

- The map circulates again and everyone can finalize and make everything more perfect and synchronize textures.

- 1 mapper puts guns and ammo in it, 1 mapper puts deco, 1 mapper puts other actors (objectives or something).

And there is your map.. :)

"for example mapper 1 has made a house. he sends his map to the master mapper. how does he implement it? well you certainly know a way, otherwise you wouldnt post it."

The master mapper has made the basic (terrain) and knows where he wants to put that house. So it's smart to first discuss where and what objects on wich position needs to be build by who.. ;)

2 persons on 1 piece is not smart.. maybe divide the map in more parts is better.. but then the master mapper has to much work.. I think the master mapper must only do 'manager' stuff and combining the parts.. (or we need to find someone who likes much work).

I think i gonna give this project a try.. so we first need someone with php knowledge.. (someone ?)

Greetz,
Cyp!.

to combine 2 maps u must export the brushes to 3dmodels (prefabs)

the main prob is that it is not easy to grab an entire rooms easily

cause making them u must substract them, then add things etc.
if u're done, u make a brush, export it and add it later into the map!
but then the whole room is one object!!!!!
and thats the prob... changing details there is nearly impossible.

but thats not the main prob!
u MUST define all spaces!!!

e.g. u must say: a room should be from min. 128 to max. 512, doors must be around.... etc etc etc

if u dont do that, u get a map with 10different feelings.....

i think this is impossible.

maybe u better make a theme pack of small maps!!
one master chief who check all maps and add last things etc.....

- 1 mapper puts guns and ammo in it, 1 mapper puts deco, 1 mapper puts other actors (objectives or something).
Yes but how would you merge each mappers work then?
Mapper A adds some textures and details, then sends the result to Mapper B, who adds some decoration then sends the result to Mapper C ....
= only 1 mapper working at the time = slower :\

Btw if you want to combine parts of the map which different mappers made, the only way I can think of would be to copy/paste brushes between maps, and you know it causes lots of problems.. :\
Or what Lord_M said, export models, but they are not textured (still more job for the main mapper) and a entire building/room on a single brush is not recommendable either.

Still you need a 'main' mapper carrying on >80% of the job, and maybe getting minor support from other mappers to find textures or build certain zones of the map.

3wks is a bit short to expect something proper i think :P

and creating whole houses as one brush in an outside terrain si certainly the worst thing possibly to do as all the inside detail will be renderer too.