hmmmm.........

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

yup I agree :)

and it's these ppl with the screw loose already that are more susceptible to environmental suggestion. In no way would I ever say that films etc ARE the reason for crime - that would be stupid. However, research does show that they are a contributory factor. We all know the nature/nurture debate and the long held belief that a child will become what you teach it.

nope that don't count Cru sorry :)

If they had rubbed off on u, u would demonstrate the main point in psychology - that there are no black and white answers :P

I agree that the influence is there but I also think that somebody who is inclined towards violence will be violent whether they are influenced or not.

Where the influence comes into it is that it gives them ideas as to which particular form of antisocial behaviour to take.

Not quite so seriously........... Maybe all of these influences should be banned for the simple reason that they are stiffling the creativity of the modern sociopath.

Referring back to the flash game however .. I hardly think some1 will become a suicide bomber after playing it .. and those people who are usually suicide bombers are young people brainwashed by religous beliefs or their relatives .. where nothing media or entertainment related (movies, games, advertising, etc) had been involved ..

You try telling that to a colour blind deaf mute.
OI :mad: :shout:

Crusader

We all know the nature/nurture debate and the long held belief that a child will become what you teach it.

We are in danger of going full circle here and getting into a debate about the the social standards that are taught along with the religous brainwashing (dare I use that word?) that makes it possible to teach someone that becoming a suicide bomber is a pretty neat idea.

:lol:

Either way I still teach my niece and nephews that violence isn't the answer and I won't let them watch adult films while under my care - but I don't think I'm paranoid about protecting them - just being a good aunt :)

It's about the person at hand, their nature, and the environment they were brought up in and are in at present :)

Take three ppl who were abused as children: one person will grow up to be timid, one will be violent and one "normal" - all three will have been influenced by their treatment - just how and to what degree it influences each is different.

This is a more extreme example but it illustrates how ppl are influenced in different ways and to different degrees.

This debate is a very interesting yet very complex one. There is evidence to support most arguments and as such there is no clear cut answer to whether film and games adds to violence in society.

Someone brought up with violent games, violent punishment when they misbehave and violence at school could grow up to be violent, or scared of everyone, or balanced through seeing both sides of the issue. In the same light a person brought up with strictly no violence allowed on tv or games, no guns as toys and no fighting whether play or serious allowed, could easily grow up to be a peace keeper - on the other hand they could flip through not being able to express their anger and become a mass murderer!!

*shrug*

People are effected by their environment to different degrees and to differing results.

As a teenager I was what my parents and school experience made me. It is only now that I have been able to shake that off, and become me :)

I would like to add that Norwich were robbed tonite!!! :shout:

Yeah I agree with you up to a point, I won't play UT when my 4 year old daughter's here.

I think it's partly down to age though and whether or not you think it will have an adverse effect on their development.

Going back to the original arguement about censorship on the forums I think that the real danger is children who visit here.

But then I think there are several factors that come into play. It's a website dedicated to a game which contains violence and therefore has an age rating. Why would children below that age be here anyway. Therefore this is an adult environment in which people are exposed to a violent computer game in which we try to kill each other.

The other important issue as far as I'm concerened comes down to responsible parenting. As you said, Ufie about the children that you sometimes have in your own care then it's down to parents to monitor childrens use of the internet. After all there is a lot of stuff on the net that will have far more of a detrimental effect on the devlopment of a child than the content of the UTA forums (including the flash game that got posted).

I think it's partly down to age though and whether or not you think it will have an adverse effect on their development.

That's it entirely :) although we all know that some ppl take a lot longer to finish developing than others. Is UT an 18?

That's why we have age bandings on games and films. The more of an effect they can have on an individual the higher the age banding.

Regarding censorship on forums, the discussion about the game has been allowed to continue so I don't think there has been any censorship, just a link deleted. Perhaps there should be an age warning as people enter utassault.net recommending that people should be 18 or over?

Yeah I would have liked to have seen Norwich win but they did well anyway. Played well and nobody really expected them to get as far as they did.

Anyway, I think ur right which makes my arguement about resonsible parenting even more valid and that parents should decide what is the right and wrong way to bring up a child on an individual basis.

Having said that there are genetic factors that come into play. I'm sure that when parents have two children and one is well behaved and the other causes a lot of trouble (without perhaps going to the extent of becoming a serial killer) then it can't all be down to bad parenting.

Then again maybe it's not that either cos there are other factors such as school friends that are probably more influential than parents after a certain age.

I think this is probably why no one is really sure why these things happen, partly cos it's different for each individual and partly cos there are so many linking factors involved.

I know I've already confused myself with it all.:confused:

hehehehe :)

I agree with ya Plonk. Two sisters I know very well were brought up in the same family environment. One did well at exams, went to uni and is a professional. The other got into trouble a lot, got kicked out, left school before gcses and had children pre 20s. Same genetic background. Same family life. DIFFERENT intellectual ability and DIFFERENT friends.

Originally posted by Plonko
Yeah I agree with you up to a point, I won't play UT when my 4 year old daughter's here.
Rofl some dad ud be if ur daughter was over and u decided to ignore her and play some ut :P

Wtf? What happened to the discussion on the flash game and whether it was suitable? You two (ufie and plonko) have changed this discussion into a do's and dont's of child upbringing fs :shout: :nono:

:D

Crusader

If you read the whole thing it was a natural progression from a conversation about things that may or may not be suitable for people to see on the forums and the potential influences that they may have. :rolleyes:

And btw there are times when you do your own thing when your children are about and there are times when she wants to do her own thing when I'm about. That's how it works m8.

Last edited:
Not a question crus,more of a plea.

Please get your sperm tubes cut before you can have children,id hate to think what horror you'd bring into the world :P