Getting New Pc SOON!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Ok here's what I would buy if I needed a completely new PC. Take off the monitor, hard drive and vista which I don't need and it's only £700. Could even go down to 2GB of memory too if i really have no money.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yeah I'm thinking of getting a 8800 GT instead of a 8800 GTS now, I only hear good things about it yet it's like 100€ cheaper.
It's true it's same quality or could i better buy a GTS anyway for future use?

edit: and a 500W isn't that a bit low? a 600W power supply suits me better imo:P

well if u want it for future use get a gtx not a gts imo. if u want to save some money get the 8800 GT.

But look at it this way .... if u get a good 8800 GTX now it's like £450. An 8800 GT is £175, so next year if u get a 9800 GT for a similar price then ur still saving money on the GTX. And even then, my 6600 GT lasted for 2 nvidia generations ... I didn't buy a 7 series.

I think GTX is only the best idea if ur running it on crazy resolutions. Other than that u are better spending ur money on buying more RAM.

Others might disagree but thats the way I see it.

The 8800 GT is a brand new chip, so all the good things you hear about it are probably true. It also generates less heat, as it is manufactured on a smaller process.. The GT is supposed to be the link between the 8600 GTS and the 8800 GTS, only it beats the 8800 GTS, making the GTS completely obsolete, and comes very close to the 8800 GTX.

8800 GT looks v nice, tho i noticed on toms hardware they only compared it against the 8800 GTS 320 mb model, how does it compare with the 640 mb one?

As far as i know the difference between the 320mb and 640mb versions are minimal. It only makes a difference when you go into very high resolutions with AA turned on, so if you use the low res resolution as a reference it doesn't make any difference.

Well, psu's aren't dropping in price, i'm guessing atleast not anytime soon, so spending a few more quid vs struggling with a new assemble later on is worth the money.

Also thinking about buying some new gear:

Any good/bad experiences with this gear?

Also concerning the gfx cards i'm not really sure if it's worth it to pay 2x80£ more for a ultra version with hdcp.

Inputs are appreciated :)

Attachments

• temptingpc.JPG
    temptingpc.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 94
Buying 2 GTX's is a waste of money imo, when you can get 2 GT's for half that, and they probably perform 90% of the GTX's.

1000W is overkill.

MSI motherboard :S

Why Seagate 7200.10 instead of 7200.11? They cost the same here.

1333Mhz memory is pointless when your processor runs at 1066Mhz fsb

you can even get a passively cooled 8800GT. Didn't believe it wihen I first saw it, but Sparkle announced it on the 31st October. I guess other companies will follow suit. Can't imagine the temperature those things run at though when some people were complaining of +70 °C on their GT with stock heatsink/fan cooling :o.

DDR3 is an absolute waste of money at the moment, 3x the prices for 3% extra performance. Go with DDR2 until prices drop big style.

Buying 2 GTX's is a waste of money imo, when you can get 2 GT's for half that, and they probably perform 90% of the GTX's.

1000W is overkill.

MSI motherboard :S

Why Seagate 7200.10 instead of 7200.11? They cost the same here.

1333Mhz memory is pointless when your processor runs at 1066Mhz fsb

Thnx for input, i agree with you on the gfx's.
The psu is for future upgrades aswell, i doubt power consumption is going to drop as for example graphic cards get better.

I'm not quiet sure about msi, have always stuck to asus. Are msi still dodgy? (Got 1 experience with it)

Seagate hd 7200.11 is not listed on the shop :P

My bad on fsb, forgot to check the cpu :)

Mind you, PSU's have the best efficiency when you run them close to their max capacity. When running for an example a 1KWA PSU at 30-40%, which is probably what your system will be doing, efficiency will be low, and the PSU will waste more power in conversion then a 500W PSU would.
The extra cost in electricity may easily exceed that it would cost you to buy a new PSU when/if you ever needed a new one.

As for the seagate disk:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/05/the_terabyte_battle/

get this one:

ceae3890bb.jpg

Wow i'm getting that! But I heared XP doesnt support over 4gb of RAM memory ?