Future of this Leauge

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

actually i dont care if you or anybody else here keeps playing. Its your time and life. Do whatever you want.

I just think its quite amusing. Week after week solutions to revive - or atleast to keep - the league are discussed. Even rules and the league structure getting modified to keep it going for further few months. But every month you see the decline.

It's abit like a man who tries to hide his baldy head with combing his few hairs over the bald spots. Overall it just ridiculous and in a few months he cuts himself a bald anyway.

So why i am posting here? Mainly to say: Dont waste your effort in planin to change anything. It's useless and wont help anyway.

@Torp: yes, i see your point.
But there must be a reason why UTA lost a tremendous amount of player over the years.
When i was active i always wanted new maps to be added, but it never happened...for years!!! imho new content is the only serious way to keep interest.
Small changes like changing from 6 to 5 players or playing to 6 instead of 8 will keep the league alive abit longer, but doesnt adress the real problem: the lack of difference and the boredom resulted by that.

Ofc the uta community is interesting - reason why i still keep nagging here - but the league itself is dead in my eyes. And there is nerly zero you can do to revive it.

It is to do with the fact 10 years ago over 90% of this league were in their teens and now they aren't, obviously. People no longer have time to dedicate to UT with families, work and other more important things. I would say the vast majority of the league 6 years ago son't even play another game, they just grew up and got on with their lives.

I still love UT, just not this community. Trying to arrange 4 pro wars, I email 4 clans to arrange, none reply for a month. Lately I've been working on college stuff a lot but I come back every so often and it's always the same story. A few more people have left, pugs are still going on every evening, no-one in customs, there's almost total apathy about league games and trying to get 24 back into playing and enjoying ourselves like we used to is next to impossible - I'm sure it's the same for other clans who are still interested in playing but can't find enough players in this community who share their enthusiasm. I'd rather 24 didn't die as a clan but our problem is we play in a dying league. I'll miss it when it goes but I will completely understand why it had to go.

Maybe we should have a referendum for everyone who still call themselves active but who don't arrange or play wars as they should, get everyone in the league to vote on whether or not to call it a day. I'm sure even the admins have had enough by now of holding their fingers in the holes in this dam. With no final decision undertaken by the community how else will this league ever finally be put to rest? Martz stops paying for the forums? I think that might do it (if that's still the deal).

My view is I care about still playing with my clanmates and would love to join some other UT leagues with them, maybe in CB, but I don't see any point in the UTAS league any more, now that there is little or no competitive element, nothing to aim for. If I asked you all what is the point of continuing UTAS, assuming things will get worse and worse with no hope of revival, I'd be interested to read the answers. I'm not asking what is the point of pugging or staying in touch with friends or clanmates or talking in these forums, just what is the point of playing league games against the two and a half people who can still be arsed. I've played wars where opponents didn't show up because they were too busy pugging. I think that sums things up quite well.

It's abit like a man who tries to hide his baldy head with combing his few hairs over the bald spots. Overall it just ridiculous and in a few months he cuts himself a bald anyway.

:rofl:

Excellent, we call that a Comb Over and the way you describe it makes it even funnier bartio! :lol:

combover5yp.jpg

Last edited:
It is to do with the fact 10 years ago over 90% of this league were in their teens and now they aren't, obviously. People no longer have time to dedicate to UT with families, work and other more important things. I would say the vast majority of the league 6 years ago son't even play another game, they just grew up and got on with their lives.

yep I agree with it, 100%

I still love UT, just not this community. Trying to arrange 4 pro wars, I email 4 clans to arrange, none reply for a month. Lately I've been working on college stuff a lot but I come back every so often and it's always the same story. A few more people have left, pugs are still going on every evening, no-one in customs, there's almost total apathy about league games and trying to get 24 back into playing and enjoying ourselves like we used to is next to impossible - I'm sure it's the same for other clans who are still interested in playing but can't find enough players in this community who share their enthusiasm. I'd rather 24 didn't die as a clan but our problem is we play in a dying league. I'll miss it when it goes but I will completely understand why it had to go.

Maybe we should have a referendum for everyone who still call themselves active but who don't arrange or play wars as they should, get everyone in the league to vote on whether or not to call it a day. I'm sure even the admins have had enough by now of holding their fingers in the holes in this dam. With no final decision undertaken by the community how else will this league ever finally be put to rest? Martz stops paying for the forums? I think that might do it (if that's still the deal).

My view is I care about still playing with my clanmates and would love to join some other UT leagues with them, maybe in CB, but I don't see any point in the UTAS league any more, now that there is little or no competitive element, nothing to aim for. If I asked you all what is the point of continuing UTAS, assuming things will get worse and worse with no hope of revival, I'd be interested to read the answers. I'm not asking what is the point of pugging or staying in touch with friends or clanmates or talking in these forums, just what is the point of playing league games against the two and a half people who can still be arsed. I've played wars where opponents didn't show up because they were too busy pugging. I think that sums things up quite well.

Maybe 24 would die less if you didn't kick the most popular players out unfairly :sofa:

:chase:

I love the game but the time isnt there anymore and play UT with semi effort is boring because you get ass-kicked. I dont play any other games either. So maybe in 25-30 years when im done working we could start the league again :satan:

agree with what torp said. good example = me. i started with 15 or 16 and knew all t3h trix. when school ended and army started, i slowly went bye bye more and more. now i am 26, done with uni and the amount of spare time decreases more and more...

my suggestion:
considering the amount of matches played with a lack of players i think the playerlimit should be set to 4.
also make it 'best of 10 maps' instead of 'best of 14'.
and really... 4v4! this will have the biggest impact imo.

i know - these changes are quite drastic, but this would not decrease the skill level at all imo.
still 4 games a month, which is not too much imo.

and yes - i think it is time to act right now.

another wild/random idea from the top of my head:
- turn the whole league into a set of pugs.
- lets say 5 captains pick 5 teams and play 4 matches each month with exactly these teams (and in that could be in teams of lets say ~8 with 6v6 matches).
- the month after (or every second or third month!) they get to vote new teams where they can't pick any/many of the same players they already had.
- also new players could get into the voting pool.
- captains could also agree on re-voting teams earlier or keeping their teams longer. or they could swap players... etc./whatever.
- captains could resign and another player could replace them, too... etc.
- in case you find any flaws with this idea.... feel free to keep them :shout: ;)

Last edited:
true. there you go :D
and your suggestions are good, too! (still bayern winning would have rocked :P)

what do you think about my ideas, then?
@ admins: honestly - what do you guys think?

i still think its because nobody can be bothered/has time to run a clan and the members of the clan can't always play so combine torps league idea with my idea i posted like 1 year ago or so about an easy schedule method for clan leaders, then maybe more people would be bothered to run a clan.

really dont udnerstand why an auto schedule can't be introduced , the whole months matches could be auto setup at 1st of every month this way and then leaders could reschedule any games that may be a problem after.

but yes its probably too late now anyway lol.

only other idea i could think of , maybe scrap all 3 leagues and make a new 'pug league' in a clanbase ladder style where games can be played any time of day or night when both teams are available to play , making individual matches of 3v3 ,4v4 or 5v5 (upto the clans/whoever is available) max limit on squads of 5 or 6 or something to create more teams, just an idea off the top of my head.

with this you could also keep the normal league to teams who want it to stay , and just scrap pro/ias

Last edited:
Personally I dont think the length of a match has much bearing on whether people turn up to a match or not, if they make time to turn up then its pretty much the last thing you do in an evening, they either show up to a match or dont. How many people honestly sign up for a pug at 8-9pm and then always go out afterwards? The only benefit from shortening is that a match could start later because you know it will finish sooner, allows you to do other things before you play.
Could possibly be done as an optional map count when booking, so people that want to play longer matches can although I cant see this working without arguments.

Team size would probably be beneficial to getting complete teams for matches but could possibly make things quite unbalanced, with 6 ppl in a team you always had a spread of abilities with 4 ppl that spread could be a lot closer, would make it less fun for others. Again doesnt have to happen like that but its a negative against all the positives that only seem to get suggested. Dont think it would help with the number of clans in the league as from what ppl are sayigng there are only 4 or so actives in each clan anyway!

Considering the amount of ppl that say they only play now and again I cant see the point in squad size limits, if people want to play matches then they wont be in a clan that only lets them play 1 match a month, likewise if they only play 1 match every 6 months what benefit would they be if you had a limited amount of slots in your squad.

Whats the problem with the map pool, considering youve hardly played any matches in the last 18months how can you complain about this feature? Its purely there to give people that want to play newer maps that option, you cannot say that admins do nothing to improve peoples interest in the league and then turn around and say that a feature which some people like and was introduced to make them want to play more is a bad idea. Really seems like a case of my ideas are great and will work, yours are crap and rubbish, not every idea will appeal to every one.

Matches are already auto scheduled when a captain doesnt arrange them, how many of these matches are played or rearranged, I would say not many, so I cant believe having an auto schedule would work. A better option in my opinion would be to force acceptance of dates, if a team schedules and the other doesnt confirm then the other team need suggest an alternative date as a reply, if they ignore the date proposed then it should be auto accepted after a a couple of days, if the alternative date isnt accepted then both teams get either the option of choosing 1 other date they both agree or the two dates suggested originally by each team is randomly picked between. Would allow you to book matches through the system rather than relying on trying to find ppl on MSN/irc etc which I think is the biggest issue now, downside is you need short deadlines for it to work within a monthly period.

Another idea would be to scrap the 2 day notice period on stdas bookings, system could be the same as 2v2 where the earliest you can book a match is the next available booking slot. Would allow you to arrange matches on a more pug based style where you can arrange when both teams just happen to have people available rather than having to plan it in advance

I like playing 6v6, in pugs that would be the amount that I prefer, 4v4 just isnt the same. Seems an easy option to reduce team size to get complete teams rather than try and make the league more appealing for a while again.

Match length seems most obvious choice for alteration as an intial change, allows matches to start later and so hopefully more people will show up.

Yes the league will die eventually, most likely when hosting is lost or there is a catastrophy with an essential system.

Btw as youve been told many times in the past torp, having ideas is easy, finding someone with the time to implement them is another thing. timo is the only one that can alter the systems we have and as such any changes are reliant on him. Nothing susggested is too complicated but it still takes time, time he most likely doesnt not have to spare at present.

Last edited:
Is it really so difficult to set a server up with different map limit or player limit? They are the only 1s really worth changing and shouldn't take much effort...

I for one cannot play a stdas war that start 20gmt and may and probably will last 2 hours if it isn't 8-0. Thats gone 11pm my time and I work early the next day. If it was first to 4, it will not take longer than 1 hour and half, at which point I can just about manage. Would it hurt for this to be kept at 14 maps but the option of setting the map amount when arranging and then merely pming an admin your map amount?

pugs are easy to setup
balanced on most cases
they are a here and now thing
don't take long to start (minus the capping part ofc since no1 likes to cap)
they usually take somewhere around 1hr-1hr30 give or take

taking this into consideration if the league can be changed in any way it should touch some if not all of the above

league matches are a pain to setup if u cant agree on dates or u r unable to contact squad leaders, they can take too long, can be unbalanced team wise can also take too long sometimes around 2-3 hours. considering all of the above and the lack of interest of people and players not showing up its rly not hard to realize ppl cba playing anymore

the ones who do still keep playing on a regular basis are puggers so again imo changes made to the league should take into consideration the advantages of pug

to others who replied in this thread, yes there are other games out there worth trying out and i can only agree with bart considering this small community for a 11 year old game its not surprising people that played it at the beginning are mostly not playing anymore cause of irl issues and its hard to get new people in here

that being said i like pugging so if mym is kind enough and keeps the pug server up for the rest of us who still play i am happy

Is it really so difficult to set a server up with different map limit or player limit? They are the only 1s really worth changing and shouldn't take much effort...

I for one cannot play a stdas war that start 20gmt and may and probably will last 2 hours if it isn't 8-0. Thats gone 11pm my time and I work early the next day. If it was first to 4, it will not take longer than 1 hour and half, at which point I can just about manage. Would it hurt for this to be kept at 14 maps but the option of setting the map amount when arranging and then merely pming an admin your map amount?

ATM yes, Timo is the only one that can change this option, teamsize and map limits should be straight forward enough. And balls to you if you think im going to do every server booking manually!

As for map limit being an option will this not cause other problems? atm ppl have issues booking a match mainly because of date/time and server that has to be picked, you are now going to add a map limit option, say you want to play best of 7 and someone else wants best of 14, how do you decide. You need to come up with a solution that avoids that.

The whole point of the pug is that its like the league but easier to run, its kind of pointless to make the league like a pug because in essence you may just as well close the league and pug.

If im playing a war, I want 6v6 and I will leave time in the evening. The problem for me is

1. lack of competition - i find pug more competitive then the league
2. matches are hardly ever 6v6

The main problem is that the majority of the better players dont want to split up as a result they just end up 3 easy matches a month, followed by one maybe tricky match. If all the good players would split we would have some nice matches, unfortunately it wont ever happen unless we have some kind of quarterly draft system.

with that being said, I am now looking for a clan that can promise me they will turn up with 6 each time. I could do with a few good wars.

Do you really need admins to add some options? You can arrange those options with the arranger of the other clan aswell. It's the same effect, because even if admins would add the option to play first to 6 maps in the booking system you would have to convince the opponent team to agree on it.
The change would probably make it easier to convince the opponent team though, but as MyM said, more options will lead to more arguements, which cant be solved.

Just stay away from the teamsizes! :shout: