Forums and irc were down?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

wtf. I see UTA down quite often as a matter of fact, around 1 GMT sometimes. Forums/site and sometimes IRC go down :x

Yeah, yank routing sucks doesn't it?

Theres a difference of the server being down, and the intarweb having a fit.

Yeah, yank routing sucks doesn't it?

Theres a difference of the server being down, and the intarweb having a fit.

1) I take offense to the term "yank" being used.

2) I've seen massive downages of toasty and bacon on IRC (i.e. everyone pings out) + forums/site down at the same time... is that not the server going down or is that something else? I'm confused. How can the server be up but no one has access to it?:confused:

1:
Why do you consider the word yank to be offensive? Are you ashamed of being one?
Yank: Short form of Yankee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
I don't see it being offensive, so just shove off yank....

2:
Because you're a moron, thats why.
How the fuck do you think the server can be up but no one has access to it? If you pull the ethernet cable out of your PC, it doesn't have access to anything either, but its still on! Surprise!!

How do they let someone so rude be an admin?

I ask a serious and legitimate question because I don't understand the way something works and he comes up with this rude response.

Firstly, to quote Wikipedia:

[edit] In other English-speaking countries
In English-speaking countries outside the United States, especially in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, Yankee, almost universally shortened to Yank, is used as a derogatory, playful or referential colloquial term for all Americans.

Secondly:
Code:
[20:23:14] * Sphere ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * html ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * ClouD ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * dede ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * stony ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * d-wish ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * uZi ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * Virus ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * BlackNinja ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * mi` ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * doh ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:14] * UTAPugbot ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * Karamba ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * PHatHome666 ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * Maxiz` ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * brajan^work ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * Timo_Maas ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * Snee|afk ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * McNeill ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * LightY ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * LoOnEy ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)
[20:23:15] * peer ([email protected]) Quit (toasty.utassault.net bacon.fraghub.net)

What is that? :confused:

What is that? :confused:

Short answer: A netsplit. It happens when an IRC server goes down or when irc server(s) lose connection with eachother.

An example + more: (I know it's more than you asked.. enjoy.)

Example:

Servers A and B are connected to eachother.
Servers B and C are connected to eachother.
Server A users: Alice, Bob
Server B users: Carol, David
Server C users: Eve, Isaac

All the users are in the same channel.

Users on server A see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David, Eve, Mallory
Users on server B see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David, Eve, Mallory
Users on server C see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David, Eve, Mallory

Server C loses connection with B.
Users on server A see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David || Eve and Mallory quit ("serveraddress for B" "serveraddress for C")
Users on server B see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David || Eve and Mallory quit ("serveraddress for B" "serveraddress for C")
Users on server C see: Eve, Mallory || Alice, Bob, Carol, David quit ("serveraddress for B" "serveraddress for C")

Server C restores connection with B.
Users on server A see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David || Eve, Mallory joining
Users on server B see: Alice, Bob, Carol, David || Eve, Mallory joining
Users on server C see: Eve, Mallory || Alice, Bob, Carol, David joining

Each side could ask the other people "Why did you quit?" and the reply would be "I didnt, you did!".

Depending on the IRCd (aka old and badly written), its possible to takeover a channel this way.
Channel Operators: Alice and Bob
Server B and C split.
Eve and Mallory both leave the channel and then join it again, since they both left the channel is gone.
Eve joins first and gets op (since its a "new" channel), then Mallory joins. Eve then gives op to Mallory.
Server C restores connection with B.
Channel Operators: Alice, Bob, Eve and Mallory.
Eve and Mallory quickly deop Alice and Bob... channel is theirs.

But no worries, most IRCd's don't allow these tricks anymore.
On IRCnet for example when you /hop (leave+join) a channel during a netsplit you can't get in, and thus no op.
Other IRCd's just remember the state before the netsplit and the irc server(s) would deop Eve and Mallory as soon as B and C are connected again.

Hope this all explains it (and more).

How do they let someone so rude be an admin?

Who the fuck are "they"? Who is going to "un-admin" me? Some hacker hacking our server and changing all the passwords?

As for the word yank, you can take all the offense you like..

Who the hell do you think you're kidding reporting my post?

Last edited:
Who the fuck are "they"? Who is going to "un-admin" me? Some hacker hacking our server and changing all the passwords?

As for the word yank, you can take all the offense you like..

Who the hell do you think you're kidding reporting my post?

Why do you have such a problem treating people with basic politeness? I'm not trying to be a dick, but you truly came out and started making rude posts towards me for absolutely no reason other than me asking a question I did not know the answer to. That's unnecessary and downright rude and as someone who has donated to upkeep IRC/forums I think I deserve a little bit more civility than that and I think you should have the balls to apologize for being so offensive. I think everyone knows perfectly well you won't do that, but since you've been someone who has lectured me many times on being nice to people and watching the words we use I don't think it would be a bad thing.

Again, I'm not trying to cause a problem, I've just been offended by your rudeness towards me.

You wasted your politeness quota long ago. And if you think donating buys you anything, then you are deeply wrong.. Donations are gifts given without return consideration.

enough now.. both of you! otherwise ill have to punish you both! haha

:sofa:

You wasted your politeness quota long ago. And if you think donating buys you anything, then you are deeply wrong.. Donations are gifts given without return consideration.

My point is that I don't think there should be a "politeness quota" or anything from you and I certainly don't remember ever recieving it from you. You do a lot of work for UTA and I don't think you get paid. I'd say it's safe to say without all the behind the scenes work you do UTA wouldn't exist, but I was taken aback by your response to my post which was non-inflamatory and merely asking a question because I didn't understand the way something worked and I did not expect to get what I percieved to be an unnecessarily rude response from you. In the future it might be simpler to avoid altercations by either simply explaining the answer or say "justfuckinggoogleit" rather than calling me a "yank" and a "moron." I'm pretty sure I was the recipient of a lecture from you about choosing words wisely and taking steps not to offend people, and I'd rather not see a double standard. If you have any quarrel with that you can feel free to PM me, but from now on I think it's reasonable to expect to be treated with a basic level of decency from fellow forum/IRC members.

Hm, i think you need to calm down a bit Doh, consider your responses more carefully? ;)

You are being rude ( i could think of several other words to place here :P ), that much is clear.

Granted Smant can be irritating ( :P ), however i think if we review this thread and look at the posts, he hasnt actually done or said anything to warrent such an agressive stance!

Yank can be used as derogatory term and often is, whether or not you think its derogatory is irrelevant.

In short, id sort out what ever issues there are privately and leave it at that :D

Hm, i think you need to calm down a bit Doh, consider your responses more carefully? ;)

You are being rude ( i could think of several other words to place here :P ), that much is clear.

Granted Smant can be irritating ( :P ), however i think if we review this thread and look at the posts, he hasnt actually done or said anything to warrent such an agressive stance!

Yank can be used as derogatory term and often is, whether or not you think its derogatory is irrelevant.

In short, id sort out what ever issues there are privately and leave it at that :D

Gareth for president!!

Oh rats, no president in England :\

Gareth for Queen!!!

@ Gaz

True, but people are too ready to jump on the 'I'm offended!' thing to win points in an argument. Like the other person is supposed to fall all over themselves to apologise. Isn't it enough that doh looks bad for using the term? Smant's complaints about it just end up making him look cheap too. Cmon Smant, I bet you don't really give a fuck about being called yank, especially by doh :rolleyes:

It's like that whole Danish cartoon thing about the prophet - I bet many of those complaining didn't care nearly as much as they'd like us to believe, but they definitely wanted to be on the side of the 'righteous' and 'offended' as loudly as possible.

Well hell yeah I'm being rude, i've had it with twats saying they take offense of this and that and there, even though everyone knows its just something they say because they were infracted or likewise in the past for saying something they didn't find offensive to someone.

I didn't even call smant a yank when he was aperently "offended".

Last edited:
Plus it's a bit rich coming from smant - the first person I ever encountered in real life who actually says things like 'ur mum' as an insult, which is a bit over the line from a British point of view (maybe different in America). If I could afford the P+P I'd send you an airmail trout for this day's work smant :fingers:

It's like that whole Danish cartoon thing about the prophet - I bet many of those complaining didn't care nearly as much as they'd like us to believe, but they definitely wanted to be on the side of the 'righteous' and 'offended' as loudly as possible.
[offtopic]

Yea, the first time they were printed. Right now it's just taking the piss.
The flag burning, I don't give a shit about, put to put it mildly I would instantly snap the neck of any jihad motherfucking sandnigger burning other people's property, be it cars or apartments, JUST because they think it's reason enough by being offended by a fucking drawing??!

Hell, they even blew up a suncenter in public today for no apparent fucking reason!

If they think that it serves a purpose other than adding new firewood to the already growing pile of rascism-fire in Denmark, then they truly are so stuck up their own asses, that the only way to proceed is to have them enter the World of pain.

[/offtopic]

Well hell yeah I'm being rude, i've had it with twats saying they take offense of this and that and there, even though everyone knows its just something they say because they were infracted or likewise in the past for saying something they didn't find offensive to someone.

I didn't even call smant a yank when he was aperently "offended".

"I don't see it being offensive, so just shove off yank...."

If you didn't mean it offensive that's fine, I'm a bit defensive because it seems like any time I go to do something I'm hearing stuff like "yank, go to mcdonalds fatty" and stuff like that which is clearly just meant to antagonize/offend so naturally I'm not in the mood to hear it because no one likes taking the piss. Secondly, for the record I don't really care about infractions.. I don't think I've ever recieved enough to do anything (please don't change that now) and I think they serve their purpose... such as I was an ass and flamed Torp for sleeping with people's mothers, I got infracted and refrained from commenting on Torp's mental status and sexual habits.

Anyways, I probably overreacted a bit, you seemed to be degrading me simply because of where I live and you probably could have just said "American routing" in which case I woulda said "yes, it's utter crap" and asked if that's the culprit when not being able to view the site and or if it's something else. Cheers.